Habs vs Bruins, March 24

Neech

On another note, did anyone watch Knuckles Nilan on the most recent HI/O show? Calling Lucic a "chicken" and going "BUK-BUK-BUK-BWAAAK!" :lol: Apart from slightly alarming remarks about Subban, I thought he was spot-on. Knuckles for assistant coach!!! :habslogo:

Yes, I also was surprised at Nilan's 'smart' observations and he would know more about Lucic and those type of players more than most.

Yes assistant coach, sounds interesting.

One thing for sure - Nilan would get INCREDIBLE respect from every single player. Not because he's so tough, but because of the kind of player he was. When a guy like that tells you that you need to do X or Y in order to succeed, you're gonna listen. I guess it's a long shot, but I do hope to see him back there some day. It'll probably be with the Prunes, mind you :angry:

One thing for sure - Nilan would get INCREDIBLE respect from every single player. Not because he's so tough, but because of the kind of player he was. When a guy like that tells you that you need to do X or Y in order to succeed, you're gonna listen. I guess it's a long shot, but I do hope to see him back there some day. It'll probably be with the Prunes, mind you :angry:

Nilan doesn't have a very good reputation in Boston and now lives in Montreal. Even when he played for them at the end of his career, a lot of people were angry he didn't bring out the Chris Nilan of the 80s against the Pittsburgh Penguins. The attitude towards him in Hub is a lot like the attitude we have towards Georges Laraque.

Interesting. Hard to believe that he's poorly-regarded in Beantown, but I guess all his years in Montreal (and NY!) could make him basically a turncoat from the fans' perspective there. In the HI/O show, I found it interesting that he used the pronoun "we" when talking about the Habs. Maybe he was just reflecting the Montreal audience, but I'd like to think it's an indicator of where his heart still lies ;)

Interesting. Hard to believe that he's poorly-regarded in Beantown, but I guess all his years in Montreal (and NY!) could make him basically a turncoat from the fans' perspective there. In the HI/O show, I found it interesting that he used the pronoun "we" when talking about the Habs. Maybe he was just reflecting the Montreal audience, but I'd like to think it's an indicator of where his heart still lies ;)

I think he said it best during the Chara debacle:

" I'll be rooting for the Montreal Canadiens tonight. Even when I was playing for the Bruins I was rooting for the Montreal Canadiens...if you put a jersey on me, I'd go out there and fight Chara, I couldn't play the whole sixty minutes, but i'd fight him "

When Nilan says "we" about the Habs, it's because he means it! I don't know if you've seen his documentary The Last Gladiators, but if you did, you would know that Nilan bleeds Bleu, Blanc, Rouge!!!

I listen to Nilan almost everyday on TSN 690 and I love him. He loves this team, more than any other player I have ever seen!

When Nilan says "we" about the Habs, it's because he means it! I don't know if you've seen his documentary The Last Gladiators, but if you did, you would know that Nilan bleeds Bleu, Blanc, Rouge!!!

I listen to Nilan almost everyday on TSN 690 and I love him. He loves this team, more than any other player I have ever seen!

Nice to hear.

It is. It ain't like PJ Stock, who has been very vocal on his love of the Bruins. Stock wanted to get work in Boston for radio and couldn't get it. He could in Montreal and that's why he worked there.

Nilan dreamed of being a Bruin but his own city passed him up for no reason. In 1978, it was the final Amateur draft and teams could choose to bypass a draft round. Boston stopped drafting around the ninth round and called it a day. 10 rounds later, Montreal drafted Chris Nilan as the only pick in the 19th Round. You know that stung a bit for a Boston kid. When he finally played for the Bruins in the early 90s he wasn't treated well. They expected Knuckles but he was just too banged up. That's why they tossed him on waivers. The Habs picked him up. He never forgot that he got the opportunity to end his career in Montreal.

It should also be mentioned he left Boston in 2009 after being arrested for shoplifting. I don't think he ever wants to move back, especially with his current girlfriend in Montreal. I could definitely see Nilan having a job in Montreal. Maybe if Hamilton moves to Laval like rumours persist he'd be good for the kids.

If u gonna beat that dead horse some more.

Let me get this straight;

So if win, it is because of players coaching themselves; however, if lose it will be because of Therrien's coaching?

(Cover all bases)

And if Scotty Bowman, Guy Bouche or Patrick Roy was coaching team, team would win more; however, if they didn't, weak roster would be the reason for losing, not coaching. :blush:

Well that is an interesting take on a different conversation cause I didn't say anything like that. So let's just leave it at we choose to disagree.

Nilan makes for a good pundit, but I doubt he's NHL assistant coach material. Maybe he could work for the organization in some capacity a la Brisebois. He's a recovering addict as well, and I'm not sure how the hockey establishment would view that (not in the most sympathetic of lights, I'd imagine).

His remarks about Subban were so weird and out of left field. Don't sign him if he doesn't show up in the playoffs? In what world is a good strategy with a young superstar, and since when are our playoff failings on PK's shoulders? The kid who played 30 minutes as a rookie against Crosby, who plays with as much heart as anybody.

A coach can do a great job coaching and the players can fail following instruction. (vs. Columbus)

A coach can make poor decisions and the players can overcome it through performance. (vs. Ottawa)

A coach can make poor decisions and the players follow it, costing them the game. (vs. Washington)

A coach can do a great job coaching and the players can follow it, helping them win the game. (vs. Boston)

Nilan makes for a good pundit, but I doubt he's NHL assistant coach material. Maybe he could work for the organization in some capacity a la Brisebois. He's a recovering addict as well, and I'm not sure how the hockey establishment would view that (not in the most sympathetic of lights, I'd imagine).

His remarks about Subban were so weird and out of left field. Don't sign him if he doesn't show up in the playoffs? In what world is a good strategy with a young superstar, and since when are our playoff failings on PK's shoulders? The kid who played 30 minutes as a rookie against Crosby, who plays with as much heart as anybody.

He tried coaching back in the mid 90s, but that was during his drug issues.

The hockey world has been very sympathetic of him, especially after the documentary. I do like the idea of him in a Brisebois capacity.

The Subban remarks are dumb since PK always brings it in the playoffs but eh.

Yep, those Subban remarks were bizarre: first, the implication that somehow PK fails to 'bring it' (huh?); and second, that the Habs would look to move him if PK doesn't deliver in the dance. That would be a baffling move for a still-young Norris Trophy winner.

Now, the claim that PK and MT don't get along and that this could become a problem in keeping Subban here...that I can believe.

Yep, those Subban remarks were bizarre: first, the implication that somehow PK fails to 'bring it' (huh?); and second, that the Habs would look to move him if PK doesn't deliver in the dance. That would be a baffling move for a still-young Norris Trophy winner.

Now, the claim that PK and MT don't get along and that this could become a problem in keeping Subban here...that I can believe.

Coachs and star players dont always see eye to eye (big egos dont always mesh well with others) and with 1 norris trophy in back pocket and leading team in scoring this year, I doubt Subban is very disgruntled?

I missed Subban comments, who you are referring to that said them, Nilan?

Yeah, I don't know about Nilan as an assistant. He hasn't coached in fifteen years, and with Therrien, they already have a coach that's more of a motivator than a cerebral tactitian. Add in Knuckles, and Windbag Gorges, and that locker room would be intolerable.

I do remember from the documentary that he disliked the coddling expected from assistant coaches. Speaking of coddlers, Kirk Muller will be available next year. I can't see him getting another head coaching gig. He would make for a great retread. Although none of the coaching staff deserves to be fired after a 2nd/3rd or 4th place finish in two years.

We can add Kirk Muller to the Guy Boucher list of INCREDIBLY BRILLIANT AWESOME COACHING GENIUSES THAT THE HABS WERE ABSOLUTE IDIOTS TO LET GET AWAY who then proceed to turn out to be no better than anyone else. :rolleyes:

There is a (very) small number of genuinely top-flight coaches out there, and the rest are interchangeable cannon-fodder.

I don't blame Muller either, but my point is just that there has been a lot of hysteria among fans over the years in Montreal over "coaches that got away." Yet both Boucher and Muller have turned out to be perfectly ordinary. I have no doubt that both are competent coaches - but no more obviously competent than either Jacques Martin (who did a mostly excellent job with us) or Therrien. Unless your guy is named Quennville, Babcock, Trotz, and maybe Hitchcock or one or two others (Roy?), coaching changes are basically a game of Whack-a-Mole.

That's fair. It's like starting goalies. It's all about consistency. That's why a Ryan Miller is more valuable than a Jaroslav Halak.

Trotz has been a consistent coach on the Predators despite rarely being given a good team in Nashville. It doesn't matter who Detroit loses because the Red Wings always perform to the system.

Montreal isn't the only team in the league that continues bringing in a guy who does great at first and then loses the locker. It's also easy to forget that the best Montreal coach since Bowman never won a Cup here (Burns).

We all know Therrien's flaws, but how well can we explain his strengths? I think that's a big part of why we assume a lot of times the team does well in spire of him. I think the one thing I can say he does quite well is forward matching. It's rare he doesn't put the right line against the opposition line. We don't freak out like other teams do like Pittsburgh, Toronto and Anaheim when it comes to line matching.

That all said, it still feels like Montreal isn't setting up the team for success the way it could with their money and resources.

Seems to me that Therrien has the team buying in to "playing the game the right way" as he always says, whatever his flaws are. I have no idea about how bad he runs a practice, or know anything else in terms of why he wants his system changed back and forth, or his line up decisions, but it's plain to see from down here in N.S. he is doing more right motivating this team, that he is doing wrong in line matching etc.....
Having said that, I would also like to add that I think having Carey Price is his best protection from looking like a dummy...... :1banana:

Also, Knuckles squawking like a chicken to Lucichicken on the podcast was right on the money, and totally priceless :clap: