Apr. 12, Rangers vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Well a happy ending for Les Boys! I'll be cheering for Washington tomorrow.

Great victory. A common theme from the beginning of the season to the end is that Price stole games, and they found ways to win games.

As far as the "shots/fancy stat" narrative, it looks bad on paper, but the Habs lead the league (I believe) in shot blocks. This is likely the result of the shots and the shot attempts, they are choosing to set up in lanes instead of pressuring the puck. The rule of thumb in the fancy stat world is that you have to rely on all-star caliber goal tending to win games. We have Carey Price, a top three goaltender in the world, along with Tuukka Rask and Henrik Lundqvist.

Tampa Bay lost Ben Bishop for three weeks, Victor Hedman left last night's game with an injury, and they have the collosal distraction of Ryan Malone working against them. Brandon Prust will be playing, Briere is heating up, and Price is playing the best hockey of his career.

Let's enjoy going into round one as a favorite, and not get sucked into the negative Nancy school of thought with the EOTP gang and other fans who have a hard time enjoying sports unless their team is the favorite going into the Cup, and win 16 games in a row 5-0.

Great victory. A common theme from the beginning of the season to the end is that Price stole games, and they found ways to win games.

As far as the "shots/fancy stat" narrative, it looks bad on paper, but the Habs lead the league (I believe) in shot blocks. This is likely the result of the shots and the shot attempts, they are choosing to set up in lanes instead of pressuring the puck. The rule of thumb in the fancy stat world is that you have to rely on all-star caliber goal tending to win games. We have Carey Price, a top three goaltender in the world, along with Tuukka Rask and Henrik Lundqvist.

Tampa Bay lost Ben Bishop for three weeks, Victor Hedman left last night's game with an injury, and they have the collosal distraction of Ryan Malone working against them. Brandon Prust will be playing, Briere is heating up, and Price is playing the best hockey of his career.

Let's enjoy going into round one as a favorite, and not get sucked into the negative Nancy school of thought with the EOTP gang and other fans who have a hard time enjoying sports unless their team is the favorite going into the Cup, and win 16 games in a row 5-0.

I don't know who you are firing these shots at, but leading the league in blocked shots is not necessarily a good thing. As Maxpac said if you are blocking shots you are on the defensive and you do not have the puck. Very difficult to score goals that way.

Thank the great pumkin (and bob gainey and his staff) that we have Carey Price or we would be in a heap of trouble.

The problems that TB have are great , hope they have more. Are we going in as the favorite? That is the first I have heard of it. All I have heard is that this is going to be a very tough series and very evenly matched.

As to tonite being "a great victory" we must have watched different games.

As to the EOTP gang, it is not something I read or care about.

As to being a negative nancy, so if someone disagrees with you they are a negative nancy? interesting. I try very hard not to denegrate fellow habs fans( sometime it is not posible but I do try) . You should try it.

Well, Price sure looks ready, and good on the Captain, that was simply awesome! Go :habslogo: 's

EOTP gang is just plain nasty, lmfao :rofl:

Guest Stogey24

Briere is heating up?

I don't know who you are firing these shots at, but leading the league in blocked shots is not necessarily a good thing. As Maxpac said if you are blocking shots you are on the defensive and you do not have the puck. Very difficult to score goals that way.

The problems that TB have are great , hope they have more. Are we going in as the favorite? That is the first I have heard of it. All I have heard is that this is going to be a very tough series and very evenly matched.

As to being a negative nancy, so if someone disagrees with you they are a negative nancy? interesting. I try very hard not to denegrate fellow habs fans( sometime it is not posible but I do try) . You should try it.

1. Shot blocking is a coaching strategy. If we pressured the puck carrier (swarm) we would probably have less shots against. Even Mike Boone is counting shots and shot attempts/blocks in his live blog and "About Last Night."

2. MTL is the favorite. We have better goaltending, more playoff experience, better defense, we are healthier, our coach has more playoff experience. Basically, we have an advantage in every category besides "having Steven Stamkos." Pat Hickey wrote of one of the first series previews, and gave the series to us in 6. Most of the previews that are coming up will say the same thing.

3. Fans, here and on other sites, and for other teams, and in other galaxies are never happy. Habs fans are very guilty in this regard. One game we're a team of young stars, the next game we're a possession black hole that's lucky to be in the playoffs. What I was getting at is that this is a very exciting time of the year, and especially in the build up to Wednesday, I hope fans make the decision i'm making. Which is to enjoy the ride. Many fans will choose to set themselves up for the ole "I told you so." It has to be a miserable way to enjoy the games.

Nice to see Gionta get the game winner in OT!

Are there any fans left out there who still think the Habs should've kept Halak instead of Price?? I hope not. One thing is for certain, Carey is ready for the playoffs. If we lose, i seriously doubt it'll be Carey's fault.

Looking forward to seeing Prust and Moen come back into the line up. Lastly, I sure hope the coaching staff will find some way to get the PP going again. If other teams take liberties with our players, you want to be able to make them pay when you get a PP...if you can't make them pay, then they'll continue to "rough up" our smallish forwards!

Nice to see Gionta get the game winner in OT!

Are there any fans left out there who still think the Habs should've kept Halak instead of Price?? I hope not. One thing is for certain, Carey is ready for the playoffs. If we lose, i seriously doubt it'll be Carey's fault.

Looking forward to seeing Prust and Moen come back into the line up. Lastly, I sure hope the coaching staff will find some way to get the PP going again. If other teams take liberties with our players, you want to be able to make them pay when you get a PP...if you can't make them pay, then they'll continue to "rough up" our smallish forwards!

Price has had best GAA & Save% of career this year, well done and bodes very well.

Tampa isn't a big physical team (24th in hits), so I don't think hobbit-smurfishness will be an issue (other than Habs small forward skating circles around heavy footed Salo-Hedman-Brewer-Gudos group).

And Habs bottom six depth I also like.

I don't like d-core with neither Murray or Tinordi playing, need the grit around teams' MVP (Price).

1. Shot blocking is a coaching strategy. If we pressured the puck carrier (swarm) we would probably have less shots against. Even Mike Boone is counting shots and shot attempts/blocks in his live blog and "About Last Night."

2. MTL is the favorite. We have better goaltending, more playoff experience, better defense, we are healthier, our coach has more playoff experience. Basically, we have an advantage in every category besides "having Steven Stamkos." Pat Hickey wrote of one of the first series previews, and gave the series to us in 6. Most of the previews that are coming up will say the same thing.

3. Fans, here and on other sites, and for other teams, and in other galaxies are never happy. Habs fans are very guilty in this regard. One game we're a team of young stars, the next game we're a possession black hole that's lucky to be in the playoffs. What I was getting at is that this is a very exciting time of the year, and especially in the build up to Wednesday, I hope fans make the decision i'm making. Which is to enjoy the ride. Many fans will choose to set themselves up for the ole "I told you so." It has to be a miserable way to enjoy the games.

1. So Mike Boone tracks something we are good at. Ok I have no idea what that has to do with what I said. Ali used the rope a dope to beat Forman doesn't mean that how I would train a fighter. I still maintain that not having the puck makes it tough to score. I like Max's view point.

2. Have you checked the standings? We could be closer but I don't know how. We may be favoured but it ain't by much in my opinion.

3. I am going to enjoy the ride but if they win I will be euphoric and if they lose I will be pissed off frustrated and angy. That's cause I am fan.

Lets have some fun :gohabsgo:

Blocked shots...like hits... means you did not have puck possession. Only the defending team has the opportunity to block shots or throw hits.

The eventual Stanley Cup winners typically have lower numbers of blocked shots and hits because they won by maintaining control of the puck.

Blocked shots...like hits... means you did not have puck possession. Only the defending team has the opportunity to block shots or throw hits.

The eventual Stanley Cup winners typically have lower numbers of blocked shots and hits because they won by maintaining control of the puck.

That type of game also depends on the cycle, which is another type of system, and big centers and wingers to execute the cycle. We don't have either of them. I'm more worried about our breakouts and transisitons through the neutral zone.

That type of game also depends on the cycle, which is another type of system, and big centers and wingers to execute the cycle. We don't have either of them. I'm more worried about our breakouts and transisitons through the neutral zone.

Actually I believe that when the boys have their heads screwed on right they are one of the best teams in the league at breakouts and transitions, which I believe is our advantage.

Tampa isn't a big physical team (24th in hits), so I don't think hobbit-smurfishness will be an issue

true that Tampa isn't a big bruising team, but they are resourceful and have proven all year long that they could go through adversity and still come out on top. (Stamkos injury, St-Louis saga). In no way should the Habs take the Bolts lightly, cause the Bolts will make'em pay!!

Hard work and a good transition game will get us over the Bolts...

Guest Stogey24

true that Tampa isn't a big bruising team, but they are resourceful and have proven all year long that they could go through adversity and still come out on top. (Stamkos injury, St-Louis saga). In no way should the Habs take the Bolts lightly, cause the Bolts will make'em pay!!

Hard work and a good transition game will get us over the Bolts...

You know that Yzerman knows Price inside and out after scouting him for team Canada too.

well that 2.50 will get him a coffee at my restaurant.

Pretty much. Especially since the guy on the Lightning that might have practiced with him was injured and the Lightning player that played in the Olympics was traded to New York.

Anyway, Jon Cooper is a fantastic coach. That's where the Bolts real success will lie. If Therrien loses the coaching battle it might be tough for the Habs to overcome. Lightning goalies are position freaks. Tampa can match us in speed.

Prust is said to be back in the lineup Wednesday. Happy to see him there.

You know that Yzerman knows Price inside and out after scouting him for team Canada too.

"Okay guys, I've got the book on Price. I can't go into too many details, but needless to say it will look like an accident. Anyways, here's what we do against Budaj..."

Guest Stogey24

"Okay guys, I've got the book on Price. I can't go into too many details, but needless to say it will look like an accident. Anyways, here's what we do against Budaj..."

lol, yeah I guess it doesn't mean too much. If Price stays hot there is really no book on him.

Anyway, Jon Cooper is a fantastic coach. That's where the Bolts real success will lie. If Therrien loses the coaching battle it might be tough for the Habs to overcome.

oh oh

Pretty much. Especially since the guy on the Lightning that might have practiced with him was injured and the Lightning player that played in the Olympics was traded to New York.

Anyway, Jon Cooper is a fantastic coach. That's where the Bolts real success will lie. If Therrien loses the coaching battle it might be tough for the Habs to overcome. Lightning goalies are position freaks. Tampa can match us in speed.

Prust is said to be back in the lineup Wednesday. Happy to see him there.

Ya Ya, heard same about last Tampa coach, Guy named Bouche, super duper coach. :lol: