2014 Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Christian Ehrhoff got bought out by Buffalo. I didn't see that one coming. He instantly becomes one of the better free agent d-men out there. Jovanovski's a UFA now too but he's well past his prime.

Nicolas Deschamps won't be qualified by Washington. There were rumblings that if the Habs had a first rounder in 2008 (that was the Tanguay deal), they'd have picked him. I think they dodged a bullet there.

Sam Gagner has finally been dealt. Unfortunately for Edmonton, the move really isn't going to help their defence. He's off to Tampa Bay for Teddy Purcell. The Lightning have had a decent offseason so far, I don't mind this deal for them (cap hits are very close and Purcell struggled last year) and the Garrison pickup was a good one as well.

So in the end, it's Purcell, Thompson, and Crombeen for 4th, 6th, and 7th round picks plus a free agent to be named later. I have to think they have a wink-wink deal with one of the more prominent UFA's, you don't move three players like this without some sort of guarantee. Add a top UFA and Drouin to that forward group...that could be trouble for the division.

22nd Overall Pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft Jordan Schroeder was not given a qualifying offer by the Vancouver Canucks. They also allowed Zac Dalpe to go without a qualifying offer.

Many Bruins fans wanted Jordan Caron to be skipped on a QO. He was qualified along with 10 other players on the Boston Bruins.

Are the Leafs tanking for McDavid already? Seems some odd signings and moves?

I don't mind either pickup from yesterday. Both Santorelli and Kontiola are getting nearly 4th line UFA money and have upside to probably be decent 3rd line offensive forwards. I'm a fan of Kontiola, I expect he will be a useful player for Toronto. I'm not as sold on Santorelli but it's only one year so if he falters, there's no long-term risk.

Are the Leafs tanking for McDavid already? Seems some odd signings and moves?

Plan A was signing Bolland and trading for Gorges. Plan B is signing Santorelli and trying out Kontiola. Kind of like when Gainey set his heart in signing a significant UFA, losing out on everyone and having to settle with Sergei Samsonov.

Plan A was signing Bolland and trading for Gorges. Plan B is signing Santorelli and trying out Kontiola. Kind of like when Gainey set his heart in signing a significant UFA, losing out on everyone and having to settle with Sergei Samsonov.

Except that Sergei Samsonov never played for the Habs. Never.

I said never.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin Cheveldayoff has been GM in Winnipeg for over three full calendar years. In that time, he has not yet made a trade in which an NHL player was involved in both sides of the deal. He has dealt NHL'ers for picks and vice versa but never one NHL'er for another NHL'er...in three years. That stat surprises me; even though trading is down, I'd have thought they'd have made at least one in three years. http://illegalcurve.com/2014/07/14/an-analysis-of-kevin-cheveldayoffs-trading-tendencies-since-the-winnipeg-jets-returned/

It's certainly bargain time in free agency. We saw Stempniak go for cheap to the Rangers earlier and Booth to the Leafs. Now Daniel Winnik signs a one year cheap deal with Toronto ($1.3 million). They now have 17 forwards on one-way deals...I have a hunch they may be trying to make a trade or two before long.

Senators will definitely be out of the playoffs. Their fanbase is hilarious because the team always has elevated possession numbers but nobody can finish so they never end up scoring with those possession numbers.

Leafs will be on the line but likely won't make it. I think both the Devils and Islanders will be better teams next season, plus the Capitals. I could see the Metro having five roster spots to Atlantic's three unless the Red Wings grab a wildcard spot again.

Just to add injury to insult the Flyers are inducting John Leclaire and Eric desjardins into their hall of fame. Fork just when we were beginning to forget about that stupid trade. Are we going to retire Dr Mark Recchi's jersy? I don't think so.

Just to add injury to insult the Flyers are inducting John Leclaire and Eric desjardins into their hall of fame. Fork just when we were beginning to forget about that stupid trade. Are we going to retire Dr Mark Recchi's jersy? I don't think so.

Frickin one low-bar in Philly, I danced the day Desjardins was traded, never liked him and LeClair didnt do jack without ol softskull Lindros did he?

Frickin one low-bar in Philly, I danced the day Desjardins was traded, never liked him and LeClair didnt do jack without ol softskull Lindros did he?

96-97 Lindros only played 52 regular season games. Leclair tied his best totals with 97 points and 50 goals. Lindros only played 55 games in 99-00 and Leclair 40 goals and 77 points that season.

When Lindros was out, Leclair would be put with Brind'Amour. In 99-00 he played with Damond Langkow when Lindros was out. He was still very capable without Lindros. If there was a guy who just "fed" off Lindros it was Mikael Renberg.

Well I was screaming blue murder cause we traded a power forward and a top 4 defenceman for a wanta be doctor.

Speaking of Philly, they announced some bad news regarding Kimmo Timonen today. He has blood clots in both lungs and his right leg. His playing status has yet to be determined. This isn't the first time he's had issues with blood clots either. If he winds up missing significant time, that's a big blow to a defence corps that isn't all that strong.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727858