2014 Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Speaking of Philly, they announced some bad news regarding Kimmo Timonen today. He has blood clots in both lungs and his right leg. His playing status has yet to be determined. This isn't the first time he's had issues with blood clots either. If he winds up missing significant time, that's a big blow to a defence corps that isn't all that strong.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727858

Philly must feel that is the case. They signed Del Zotto tonight.

Charles Wang strikes again. He has backed out of a potential sale for $420 million (after reportedly agreeing to terms), claiming that someone else paid him a higher amount since the Donald Sterling/Clippers fiasco yielded a $2 billion sale; Wang apparently is getting $548 million (though no one knows who this new buyer is). Now, he's getting sued for failing to pay an agreed upon $10 M 'break up fee' for backing out of the transaction. With the talk today about Molson's level of involvement in the Subban talks (which I believe have been overstated relative to what his typical involvement in a big money deal would be), we should all take a moment to appreciate the fact that he's not Charles Wang who has ran that team into the ground and then some. Islander fans have to be praying that this supposed new buyer actually exists and that it's not just a ploy from Wang to get more money out of the original buyer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders-owner-charles-wang-hit-10-million-lawsuit-article-1.1899742

August 15th at 5 PM is the deadline for graduating college players to sign with their drafted teams or their rights are lost. Here are the players in that situation:

Anaheim
Kevin Lind D Notre Dame (6th round, 2010)
Radoslav Illo C Bemidji State (5th round, 2009)

Chicago
Kevin Hayes F Boston College (1st round, 2010)
Justin Holl D Univ. of Minnesota (2nd round, 2010) - (signed with Rockford, AHL)
Kirill Gotovets D Cornell (7th round, 2009) - (signed with Rockford, AHL)

Colorado
Nathan Condon C Univ. of Minnesota (7th round, 2008) (no relation to Montreal prospect Mike Condon)
Gus Young D Yale (7th round, 2009)
Luke Moffatt C Univ. of Michigan (7th round, 2010)

Columbus
Martin Ouellette G Univ. of Maine (7th round, 2010)

Edmonton
Kellen Jones C Quinnipiac (7th round, 2010) - (signed with Oklahoma, AHL)

Florida
Joe Basaraba RW Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth (3rd round, 2010)

Los Angeles
Kevin Gravel D St. Cloud (5th round, 2010) - (signed with Manchester, AHL)

Montreal
Mike Cichy C Western Michigan (7th round, 2009) - (signed with Florida, ECHL)

Nashville
Chase Balisy F Western Michigan (6th round, 2011)

New Jersey
Curtis Gedig D Ohio State (7th round, 2009)
Joe Faust D Univ. of Wisconsin (4th round, 2010)
Derek Rodwell LW Univ. of North Dakota (5th round, 2009)

San Jose
Cody Ferriero C Northeastern University (5th round, 2010)
Isaac Macleod D Boston College (5th round, 2010) - (signed with Elmira, ECHL)

St-Louis
Maxwell Tardy C U. of Minnesota-Duluth (7th round, 2009)

Tampa Bay
Jeff Costello LW Notre Dame (5th round, 2009)

Washington
Taylor Stefishen LW Univ. of Calgary, CIS (5th round, 2008) - signed with Elmira, ECHL)

There aren't many names of interest on there but one to watch is Kevin Hayes. He is going to be sought after big time, similar to the 'bidding war' there was for Jiri Sekac. However, there are reports that Hayes isn't interested in playing in Canada (though there are also reports that have him going to Calgary so who knows?).

I could see the Habs going after a guy like Moffatt on a minor league deal. He put up decent numbers with Michigan and was a teammate of both Pateryn/Bennett. There are a few others that could be worthy of an AHL tryout but it's another pretty weak August 15 class beyond Hayes.

Charles Wang strikes again. He has backed out of a potential sale for $420 million (after reportedly agreeing to terms), claiming that someone else paid him a higher amount since the Donald Sterling/Clippers fiasco yielded a $2 billion sale; Wang apparently is getting $548 million (though no one knows who this new buyer is). Now, he's getting sued for failing to pay an agreed upon $10 M 'break up fee' for backing out of the transaction. With the talk today about Molson's level of involvement in the Subban talks (which I believe have been overstated relative to what his typical involvement in a big money deal would be), we should all take a moment to appreciate the fact that he's not Charles Wang who has ran that team into the ground and then some. Islander fans have to be praying that this supposed new buyer actually exists and that it's not just a ploy from Wang to get more money out of the original buyer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders-owner-charles-wang-hit-10-million-lawsuit-article-1.1899742

The only Islander fan I know, even in South Florida where every third guy is from New York, is so starved for success that he thinks Halak, Grabo and Kulemin are the final pieces to a contender.

I can't blame him, I remember drinking the Kool Aid over the first round loss to Boston and Erik Cole.

Charles Wang has been embarrassing to the Islanders. So much so that I re-watched the documentary on John Spano and wonder if that conman was a better fit for the ownership. He was supposedly just a week away from getting the money needed to complete the sale and it was his re-negotiation with Cablevision which allowed constant money to flow into the Islanders organization, enough to keep it in the New York area. He also wasn't a fan of Mike Milbury as the two fought quite a bit (they also spent oodles of cash at strip clubs) so maybe he would have ousted him the moment he had a chance to.

I mean it's pretty sad when I'm saying, "Yeah, that conman? He would have been better than Charles Wang."

I hope we got enough sense to at least do the due diligence on Kevin Hayes case. Pretty good prospect for a freebie. Hope he comes to terms with the fact that a Hobey Baker finalist doesn't get a guaranteed a spot on an NHL roster. What does he want?

I hope we got enough sense to at least do the due diligence on Kevin Hayes case. Pretty good prospect for a freebie. Hope he comes to terms with the fact that a Hobey Baker finalist doesn't get a guaranteed a spot on an NHL roster. What does he want?

What he wants is that guaranteed spot on an NHL roster and given the amount of potential suitors with weak bottom six forward groups, it probably won't be too hard to get that guarantee. In terms of money, every offer is going to have the max base/signing bonus/AHL salary at a minimum, the rest will be haggling over performance bonuses.

What he wants is that guaranteed spot on an NHL roster and given the amount of potential suitors with weak bottom six forward groups, it probably won't be too hard to get that guarantee. In terms of money, every offer is going to have the max base/signing bonus/AHL salary at a minimum, the rest will be haggling over performance bonuses.

What would that say to the rest of players on the roster? If a guaranteed roster spot means 9 games to prove yourself, that is one thing. A team would be very foolish to go beyond that unless they are sure of this guy.

What would that say to the rest of players on the roster? If a guaranteed roster spot means 9 games to prove yourself, that is one thing. A team would be very foolish to go beyond that unless they are sure of this guy.

The 9-game thing doesn't matter as that only applies to junior-aged players. No team will ever publicly admit that they'll make such a guarantee but behind closed doors, that promise will be made. I think the Habs may have done that with Sekac despite public comments to the contrary. It doesn't send a great message to the rest of the players on the roster although those aren't the ones that would be affected by Hayes. It's the rookies/prospects vying for that final spot or two that would have the biggest axe to grind.

The 9-game thing doesn't matter as that only applies to junior-aged players. No team will ever publicly admit that they'll make such a guarantee but behind closed doors, that promise will be made. I think the Habs may have done that with Sekac despite public comments to the contrary. It doesn't send a great message to the rest of the players on the roster although those aren't the ones that would be affected by Hayes. It's the rookies/prospects vying for that final spot or two that would have the biggest axe to grind.

I can't think of too many examples of a guy who clearly wasn't good enough and got kept up, or got kept up over a superior player. Really all I can think of is when Theoren Fleury tried out for the Flames, was actually quite good even on average shifts and the Flames still cut him, many believing they didn't want to give a spot up to Fleury over a prospect.

I can't think of too many examples of a guy who clearly wasn't good enough and got kept up, or got kept up over a superior player. Really all I can think of is when Theoren Fleury tried out for the Flames, was actually quite good even on average shifts and the Flames still cut him, many believing they didn't want to give a spot up to Fleury over a prospect.

Fleury had a book out or coming out around the time of training camp. I am positive him trying out was always a publicity stunt and the plan was for him to get cut regardless of how well he played.

Fleury had a book out or coming out around the time of training camp. I am positive him trying out was always a publicity stunt and the plan was for him to get cut regardless of how well he played.

Doesn't change the fact he played really well. He would have probably been the sixth best forward for the Flames that year.

Doesn't change the fact he played really well. He would have probably been the sixth best forward for the Flames that year.

Right, and I'm saying Fleury was in on it. He did training camp for publicity for his book... he didn't actually want to play in the NHL. He and the team were in on it. The plan was always to be cut.

Well...Charles Wang actually did have another buyer after all. They'll still be stuck with him for a bit though. The new buyers are taking minority ownership for the first two years before they take over as majority owners (while keeping Wang as a minority partner).

There are changes coming to the draft lottery system. Next year, the percentages of receiving the top pick have been modified (last place now has a 20% chance (from 25%) while 14th last has a 1% chance (from 0.5%)). After that, the lottery will be expanded to determine the top three selections each year, just like the NBA does currently. This means that the last place team could in theory pick as low as 4th instead of being guaranteed first or second overall. The new percentages will also be in effect as well.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728795&navid=nhl:topheads

The Kevin Hayes sweepstakes are over as he has signed with the Rangers. It's a max/max ELC, something that only the first overall pick typically gets. Hayes receives the max $900,000 salary (the max at the time he was drafted) plus up to an additional $2.85 million per year in potential bonuses.

The Kevin Hayes sweepstakes are over as he has signed with the Rangers. It's a max/max ELC, something that only the first overall pick typically gets. Hayes receives the max $900,000 salary (the max at the time he was drafted) plus up to an additional $2.85 million per year in potential bonuses.

I think as you have stated earlier, this was going to be some form of max deal no matter who got him. I would be more interested to know if he got any guarantees, which was has been discussed and if we were even in on him. As for the lottery--- I like the gist of it ---- I think they over thought it, and made it more complicated than needed.

I guess I am in favour of bottom team having slightly less % of #1 pick.

Not sure what to think of NCAA guy, so many highly touted undrafted NCAA/Euro kids are busts, that even Sekac I have less faith in him than most seem to. But, hope for the best.

This one isn't exactly NHL related but I suspect they'll be keeping a close eye on this. The OHL is instituting a new rule this year that says if any fight occurs directly after a faceoff, both players will be ejected. They're doing this to help curtail the 'staged fights.' If that happens, I'd have to think that the NHL would try to get something like that in place before too long.

This one isn't exactly NHL related but I suspect they'll be keeping a close eye on this. The OHL is instituting a new rule this year that says if any fight occurs directly after a faceoff, both players will be ejected. They're doing this to help curtail the 'staged fights.' If that happens, I'd have to think that the NHL would try to get something like that in place before too long.

What a great idea.

I listen to Branch on PTS. Seems like Cambell was in the conversation of implementing the junior rule so the NHL can't be far behind.

What a great idea.

I don't know what the exact wording of the rule is but there's a giant grey area. How much time must elapse after a faceoff before it doesn't fall under the 'directly after a faceoff' category? 2 seconds? 5? 10? If it's at the discretion of the referees, there will be some problems before long I'd imagine as different officials will have different standards.

I think is easy to say, that the WHL will want absolutely Zero part in curtailing fighting.

Pussies back in Toronto can do what they like, but we are real men out here who like fighting! (I think is how it would go over)

I don't know what the exact wording of the rule is but there's a giant grey area. How much time must elapse after a faceoff before it doesn't fall under the 'directly after a faceoff' category? 2 seconds? 5? 10? If it's at the discretion of the referees, there will be some problems before long I'd imagine as different officials will have different standards.

30 seconds would cover pretty much any enforcer's shift after a faceoff.

• Upvote 1