2014 Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Roberto Luongo tweeted that the shootout should be banned, funny dude he is, lol.

I'm with him, and CC, it's a circus sideshow, and doesn't belong in hockey.

Blatant shooting puck out in the defensive zone should be two minutes, but some of the calls on that are a crime....

Diving and integrity needs to be looked at and instilled, such as basic respect for other players RE: dangerous hits and crap after the whistle...

When a Hab dives, I'm embarrassed, when an opposition player does it, I am equally upset, it's just not a "hockey frame of mind" as it should be, go all out until whistle blows, unlike a Kovalev looking for a slashing call, and allowing a break away..... embarrassing way to lose, and no place on a team if I were management or coaching staff.

What exactly are the Devils doing? Not only do they seemingly have 325 forwards under contract already but now they're inviting Tootoo and Fedotenko (on top of Gomez and Ryan Carter) to training camp. They're at the point now where they could dress 18 NHL forwards in a game and just forget about the defence. There's having guys in to battle for a spot but this seems like overkill (unless they have a lot of preseason games and they want to rest players early).

What exactly are the Devils doing? Not only do they seemingly have 325 forwards under contract already but now they're inviting Tootoo and Fedotenko (on top of Gomez and Ryan Carter) to training camp. They're at the point now where they could dress 18 NHL forwards in a game and just forget about the defence. There's having guys in to battle for a spot but this seems like overkill (unless they have a lot of preseason games and they want to rest players early).

Lou said they were approached by their agents for wanting to try out so the Devils said yes. No guarantees for anyone. Some believe that both Clowe and Ruutu are not going to be healthy at the start of the year, if at all, while Havlat has question marks already regarding health. Tootoo is said to maybe be a two way deal kind of guy. He'd really be trying out for Albany.

How bout graduated fines for fighting, that would seem to make too much sense I suppose?

Doesn't make any sense to me, unless you're going to limit it to the staged fights. Otherwise, fighting should be left alone and the instigator removed.

I haven't heard them doing anything about the puck over glass delay of game penalty, right now the dumbest penalty in the game.

It's not that bad and it was always the case for goalies. That being said, it's not a great rule either and should probably be the equivalent of icing.

One other thing that bugs me is the goal with the skate situation. This shit would be SO DAMN EASY to fix :

1. goal with the outside part of the blade : GOAL

2. goal with the inside part of the blade : NO GOAL

BOOM. No more review, no more was-this-a-clear-forward-kicking-motion, no more crap.

You scored a goal with a clear forward kicking motion using the outside part of the blade ? Bravo Sir, that was a hard thing to do. Good goal.

That's ... weird. I'm OK with the kicking motion. It's controversial when it's close, but that's not that common. The judgement call on diving is a much bigger issue to me.

I think it's safe to say that negotiations between Columbus and Ryan Johansen aren't going well. Yesterday, both their GM and President (John Davidson) went public with their displeasure over the asking price of the agent, going as far as to suggest the asking price was extortion. Today, Davidson revealed three specific offers that they've made, something that is extremely rare. I don't think this is getting solved anytime soon...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/blue-jackets-president-john-davidson-turns-both-barrels-on-johansens-agent/

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461988

Vancouver press had a "poor" post after Canuck game;

Picture showed Jordan Subban and his 4 linemates celebrating after Subban gets 1st goal of game and had caption

"Jordan Subban scores (dark guy in middle)" .....

Was quickly removed from website, but not sure what writer was thinking?

I am no writer; but anyone could of worded it a million better ways than that.

Vancouver press had a "poor" post after Canuck game;

Picture showed Jordan Subban and his 4 linemates celebrating after Subban gets 1st goal of game and had caption

"Jordan Subban scores (dark guy in middle)" .....

Was quickly removed from website, but not sure what writer was thinking?

I am no writer; but anyone could of worded it a million better ways than that.

The people involved would have been given no quarter for writing that in a high school newspaper, let alone a Postmedia publication (it was the Vancovuer Sun but not Sun Media).

Former top goalie prospect Jacob Markstrom went on waivers yesterday and cleared today. This could mean one of two things:

1) Teams are satisfied with their backup situation which increases the likelihood of Tokarski clearing,

2) Teams are waiting for Tokarski to be waived to claim him.

Even if #2 is true, i don't see that opening up any sort of notable trade market for him as there will be other goalies on waivers along the way.

Is Tokarski a better choice than some of the backups in the league on other teams? Would there be teams that would take him and waive their own current backup?

After Tokarski's performance vs Colorado, I don't see Budaj as the obvious choice for the backup job. Is there any market for Budaj?

Bobby Ryan signs a 7 year deal with a cap hit of $7.25 M to stay in Ottawa. I really didn't see that coming, I figured he'd test the market for sure.

I figured Ottawa would never spend that kind of money.

I figured Ottawa would never spend that kind of money.

The money doesn't surprise me (they offered 7/49 a few weeks ago), but I thought he'd relish the chance to be one of the top UFA's come July, especially since he didn't really have any long-term ties to the Sens, a team that might be rebuilding.

Speaking of Ryan, here's an interesting read about his past (and how he was once Bobby Stevenson): http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/searching-for-bobby-ryan/

So last night in New Jersey, they were experimenting with yellow-tinted boards for the purposes of CGI ads. That's...different looking.

ab5786f0-4b04-11e4-9fec-d3be2d9009c5_By-

Also, it's getting near time for teams to get cap-compliant. They have until 5 PM EST on Tuesday when season-opening rosters are submitted. In particular, Chicago needs to make a move while teams like Boston, LA, Pittsburgh, and the Rangers all have motivation to try to clear a bit of money (or a contract spot) as well. We should see a trade or two in the near future.

Apparently, the Islanders. They have already acquired Boychuk and are reported to be first in on Leddy. One wonders if they will have any picks left by the time 2015 arrives. :rolleyes:

www.tsn.ca/report-islanders-acquire-boychuk-close-to-adding-leddy-as-well-1.98976

Edit: they have acquired Leddy as well for two prospects and the rights to a third

Speaking of Salary Caps, Boston (Johnny Boychuk) and Chicago (Nick Leddy) both dumped some salary on the Islanders. Unfortunately, the Islanders now almost appear to have something resembling a defense corpse. Combine that with having an actual NHL goalie...and the Islanders are going to win a few more this year than last year.

Speaking of Salary Caps, Boston (Johnny Boychuk) and Chicago (Nick Leddy) both dumped some salary on the Islanders. Unfortunately, the Islanders now almost appear to have something resembling a defense corpse. Combine that with having an actual NHL goalie...and the Islanders are going to win a few more this year than last year.

There was only a five win difference between the Islanders and Red Wings.

Five wins and a few more overtime/shootout losses could easily be seen as the difference between the 13-14 team and today's team.

Two good defencemen (if they mesh in Long Island), a solid goaltender (who has never proven he can play as a starter instead of a platoon) and top six depth with a healthy Tavares adds a lot of questions.

Then again you also have the New Jersey Devils who couldn't win a single shootout game, lost only 29 games in regulation, which is less than playoff teams like Columbus, Philly and New York. They also played Brodeur out of respect and lost games out of it. They are going full throttle with Schneider while adding Cammalleri, who will help their GPG ratio out of the bottom 5.

The Metro is wide open really.