Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

I can't see Bournival in Montreal's future

I was wondering how many people are thinking this, that Bournival could be a part of a trade package in on that "top line RW" we are in need of...

Good to hear Bergevin add Pateryn to Beaulieu/Tinordi as hopeful to step up.

Sounds like Sorkin played very well again in 3rd outing.

(Vern Kaiser eh? sounds like a tough trivia answer.)

Guest Stogey24

I was wondering how many people are thinking this, that Bournival could be a part of a trade package in on that "top line RW" we are in need of...

Well its just tough to see where Bournival fits into the roster. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go in a package either. I guess depth never hurts though...

Well its just tough to see where Bournival fits into the roster. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go in a package either. I guess depth never hurts though...

Give him a break. Most prospects are fairly limited on what they can do for the first few years in the Bigs. Just got to let him progress.

Enjoyed the article of the forward battles for a spot on the team from Dbalr, lot's of food for thought. I like the optimism about Hudon, I really like his game.

Questions I would ask you members are, do you think Bergevin has left this spot open for a forward because he really believes one will grab that spot?

OR

Will that roster spot be open for a tough guy, and the 3rd line wing spot will go to Bournival?

With the admission that they'll consider carrying three goalies, there may not even be a spot available. It's always good to go into training camp with a spot open. You never know if you can get a deal on a player from another team who needs to trim down their roster, there might be someone on waivers that they like, or one of the prospects steps into the role; the open spot keeps all the options open. Considering they didn't bother bringing a tough guy in on a PTO (and quite a few of them have signed PTO's with other teams), that suggests to me that they're likely not looking for a full-time goon.

He could be part of a package but I don't think his trade value is through the roof. He's a decent youngster, yes, but his upside is that of a bottom six player and given the amount of those players around the league, he's probably not going to be a key piece in any trade (unless there's a team that thinks he can play top-6).

Guest Stogey24

I consider Bournival to be the reason why White was let go. Bournival is more skilled while maintaining some level of grit.

Bournival is far from gritty. He has speed which lets him finish a check once and a while.

Guest Stogey24

I don't put a lot of stock in Bergevin saying publically will consider having 3 goalies. We will see at end of pre-season which goalie is waived, or traded.

Ya, I think your right. The goalie situation is a tough question to answer in an interview. I would assume if Tokaraki puts together a decent camp, Budaj gets waived/ traded. No ones feelings get hurt(Budaj) by M.B saying the team could carry three goalie. Budaj right now is just the backup plan if Tokarski shits the bed.

heck, you never know, maybe bournival will get more of an opportunity now that brierre, gionta, and white are no longer in the picture? I kinda think moen may be waived after camp as well, but I digtress. we'll see what happens

I'd be shocked if Moen was waived. For one, half his cap hit would stay on the books, he's well respected in the room (see Gionta's note about him being a viable candidate for the 'C'), and he knows how to play defensively. (And when healthy, he provides some grit as well.) I don't think he's going to have a big role this season but he will have some sort of role with the Habs. If they weren't going to use him this year, they probably would have bought him out in the summer.

I'd be shocked if Moen was waived. For one, half his cap hit would stay on the books, he's well respected in the room (see Gionta's note about him being a viable candidate for the 'C'), and he knows how to play defensively. (And when healthy, he provides some grit as well.) I don't think he's going to have a big role this season but he will have some sort of role with the Habs. If they weren't going to use him this year, they probably would have bought him out in the summer.

Or they could toss him in on some upcoming trade, but waive him? nah I don't think so.

Seems to me that MB has this team in line to make a real run in 2015-16. The current lineup screams transition year where we're lining up the young guys for permanent impact.

For this training camp, we need good showings from De La Rose and Scherbak. Makes it easier to call them up for real positions next year. At that point we can shed the dying weight ( Bourque, Moen ). I expect Weaver to be shed next year with Tinordi, Beaulieu ready to go and Pateryn as #7.

It's a very exciting time and I hope that we get some pleasant surprises this year too.

It's a very exciting time and I hope that we get some pleasant surprises this year too.

I agree with that, this group of Habs are the most fun of any team I can remember. (Granted, i'm 28).

Remember being fired up that Erik Cole would be that power forward to put MTL over the top? That seems like 20 years ago with the way the team has come along.

There shouldn't be too many who already had Beaulieu jerseys. 30 NHL GP shouldn't be enough to have fans flocking to the stores to get one.

Sarcasm, Brian. ;)

Joonas Nattinen was the last to wear the number. He may have had dibs on it, even if he was hardly an NHLer. Locker room respect and all that.

Ah thanks. Definitely forgot about him.

Today's news: No one beat Sekac's beep test time. (Bournival and Gallagher each hit 13 minutes to lead the team...) Drewiske has a nice black eye after getting hit there with a puck the other day. Practices/scrimmages start tomorrow.

Good to hear Bergevin add Pateryn to Beaulieu/Tinordi as hopeful to step up.

Sounds like Sorkin played very well again in 3rd outing.

(Vern Kaiser eh? sounds like a tough trivia answer.)

He played part of 1 year in montreal wearing the 19. http://habslegends.blogspot.ca/2010/04/vern-kaiser.html

Guest Stogey24

Today's news: No one beat Sekac's beep test time. (Bournival and Gallagher each hit 13 minutes to lead the team...) Drewiske has a nice black eye after getting hit there with a puck the other day. Practices/scrimmages start tomorrow.

What did Sekac get again?