2014-15 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Edmonton fans hate the 'Old Boys Club' so it only seems fitting that MacTavish takes over as interim coach. About the only way it could get worse for them is if Kevin Lowe takes on more of the day-to-day GM responsibilities.

Edit: It's only a short-term thing with MacTavish, Todd Nelson (the AHL coach) will eventually take over the head coaching role. That makes a bit more sense.

This seems fitting for Edmonton - first game with a new coach and a late, dumb turnover allows Winnipeg to get the game winner with under one second left. And, they get a point out of it which they probably don't want now since they have next-to-no playoff hopes. Welcome to the new era...it's a lot like the old one.

This seems fitting for Edmonton - first game with a new coach and a late, dumb turnover allows Winnipeg to get the game winner with under one second left. And, they get a point out of it which they probably don't want now since they have next-to-no playoff hopes. Welcome to the new era...it's a lot like the old one.

It's going to be like this until either Mr. Rexall sells the team or sees that folks like Lowe and MacTavish have run a game on him for over a decade.

Just watched an interview with Alain Cheney who was with Anaheim scouting department in 2003.
He talked about Getzlaf and Perry, both drafted in 1st round 2003.

Getzlaf was 5th on their list and dropped all the way to 19th. Other people around the table were asking questions about why it was happening around pick #14-15.

Perry, Anaheim had him 8th oa. Bryan Murray traded their two 2nd rounders for Dallas 1st round pick and sneaked Perry 28th oa.

Fun fact : Murray traded Perry to the Oilers for Comrie and a 1st pick, but Lowe wanted Anaheim to reimburse the 1M$ bonus to Comrie to get the deal done and Anaheim's owner refused. Lucky break right there.

Has to be a lot more added for that to work. Bruins are in cap hell and Krug makes less than both.

Actually, the rumour mill around here has shifted over 24 hours - it's now being reported that the Canucks have spoken to 'every single team' about their interest in Zach Kassian. That makes more sense, cap-wise, although I think Krug is worth more than Kass, who is sort of Van's answer to Eller (talented, enigmatic young forward). I suspect the Canuckleheads will make a move to shore up the blueline, but I doubt it'll be with The Assholes Boston.

Actually, the rumour mill around here has shifted over 24 hours - it's now being reported that the Canucks have spoken to 'every single team' about their interest in Zach Kassian. That makes more sense, cap-wise, although I think Krug is worth more than Kass, who is sort of Van's answer to Eller (talented, enigmatic young forward). I suspect the Canuckleheads will make a move to shore up the blueline, but I doubt it'll be with The Assholes Boston.

I could see the Bruins making some deals with the Canucks because of Jim Benning, and they were in the hunt for Edler at the deadline, but supposedly a deal for Kesler fell through and they didn't trade him.

At least Eller can take faceoffs, I haven't seen much of Kassian, but one project player is enough.

From yesterday's Boston-Winnipeg game:

B5Q13SXCEAENNDs.jpg

:lol:

The unsettling thing about the Kassian rumour is that this is a kid Vancouver could really use. Their FW depth is still questionable, and the new regime surely can't have seen enough of him on the ice to have formulated a decision to move him based purely on his play. If they're moving him, I'd guess it has to do with issues of 'character' or work ethic: i.e., the new management profoundly NOT liking something they've seen in him.

Of course, he's still only, what, 23? You only need to look at Seguin to remember the danger of trading a talented young player because he's immature. Still, if Kassian is being shopped, caveat emptor should be other GMs' watchword.

The Devils new coaches are Adam Oates and Scott Stevens. A co-coach setup without someone being named the head coach...I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this could be destined to fail. Predictably, Stevens will coach the defence and Oates the forwards.

The Devils new coaches are Adam Oates and Scott Stevens. A co-coach setup without someone being named the head coach...I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this could be destined to fail. Predictably, Stevens will coach the defence and Oates the forwards.

Considering the age of their players they might as well put those guys on skates. I would bet my bottom dollar that Oates and Stevens can outplay Gomez and Salvador.

Edmonton deals David Perron to the Pens for a 1st rounder (and Rob Klinkhammer who is a decent bottom six guy). That's a pretty good move for them.

Tom Sestito is on waivers today. Why do I mention this? The last time he was on waivers (in 2012-13), the Habs were reportedly one of three teams to put a claim in on him (Vancouver got him, Chicago was the other interested team). Will they try again? I'm not sure they will given their change in stance on a goon but you never know.

Edmonton deals David Perron to the Pens for a 1st rounder (and Rob Klinkhammer who is a decent bottom six guy). That's a pretty good move for them.

Tom Sestito is on waivers today. Why do I mention this? The last time he was on waivers (in 2012-13), the Habs were reportedly one of three teams to put a claim in on him (Vancouver got him, Chicago was the other interested team). Will they try again? I'm not sure they will given their change in stance on a goon but you never know.

I don't think so. They haven't dealt with any bullying so far this year. I don't think Sestito would make as much of a contribution as he would have in past seasons.

Poor Bruins losing 1-0 to Carolina after 1 and outshoot 14-4 :clap:, sad to see. Go Staals go!

Jack Edwards even saying Carolina franchise would make a lot more $ in Quebec City, is he getting soft in his old age?

Nah we don't need no stinking goons.