2014-15 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

It has taken a while but finally there are some teams who could officially clinch a playoff spot tonight. Montreal, the Rangers, and Tampa Bay can all clinch depending on tonight's games.

It'll be a few more games yet for a Western team to clinch though based on how tight the battle for the last few spots in the West are. Even though realistically there is only one team on the outside looking in with a somewhat realistic shot at making it, this should come down to the last couple of days.

Don't know where to ask that.

Guy on Facebook says that teams can still trade but that acquired players cannot play in the playoffs.

Is that true ?

Don't know where to ask that.

Guy on Facebook says that teams can still trade but that acquired players cannot play in the playoffs.

Is that true ?

Yes. I think Filip Kuba (who had a pretty good NHL career) was dealt after the trade deadline way back when. Cade Fairchild was dealt after last year's deadline for future considerations (aka, a spot on the 50-contract limit to allow the trading team to go after a college free agent). There may have been another one last year too, I just don't remember off the top of my head.

Yes. I think Filip Kuba (who had a pretty good NHL career) was dealt after the trade deadline way back when. Cade Fairchild was dealt after last year's deadline for future considerations (aka, a spot on the 50-contract limit to allow the trading team to go after a college free agent). There may have been another one last year too, I just don't remember off the top of my head.

Thanks. Didn't know about that specific rule.

This says an awful lot...

CBzUbdKWIAA0IfK.jpg

Also, I wonder if that's the only Taylor Fedun Edmonton jersey ever purchased. He played four games there last year, that's it.

I love it when fans buy sweaters of obscure players. Maybe one day I'll buy a Jassen Cullimore Habs sweater...

I love it when fans buy sweaters of obscure players. Maybe one day I'll buy a Jassen Cullimore Habs sweater...

No BS, some kid of about 16-18 had a #37 Poulin jersey at the game last night, meaning that was the first and last Patrick Poulin jersey I'll see.

The French guy next to me had a Mario Tremblay jersey, a bad omen if Pacioretty is out for any length of time.

Anybody watch what just happened in Philly??

Wow....

Does any non-clinched Eastern team other than Ottawa plan to win their way into a playoff spot? That was an ugly way to not clinch a spot...

Does any non-clinched Eastern team other than Ottawa plan to win their way into a playoff spot? That was an ugly way to not clinch a spot...

This is why I hate the loser point. Tampa Bay has won five games against us, but can't catch up because of the loser point. Teams like Ottawa and Winnipeg should be in, and they would be in under the real points system, but instead they're fighting for the last wildcard. Only one playoff spot is up for grabs after January in any given year. The Penguins are backing into the playoffs instead of falling to ninth or tenth.

The Panthers really fell off. They have a few strong months there and now they're a good 6-8 points back.

So the tie breakers for the Art Ross are :

1. Player with most goals
  2. Player with fewer games played
  3. Player scoring first goal of the season

Now, about #3, what a really sloppy way to award a trophy !?!

So the tie breakers for the Art Ross are :

1. Player with most goals
  2. Player with fewer games played
  3. Player scoring first goal of the season

Now, about #3, what a really sloppy way to award a trophy !?!

Crazy! I would choose game winning goals as the 3rd tie-breaker.

Crazy! I would choose game winning goals as the 3rd tie-breaker.

Good pick.

Or "first to get to 95% of the points total they had". Something like that.

Imagine this :

And the Art Ross goes to Player X cuz he scored a goal on game 1 of the season.

Player Y : "Ok... but I had a 5 assists night on game 1... "

An interesting tidbit about the Kings:

But there was a fatigue of a different kind at work as well in L.A., for the fact is the players had become tired of Coach Daryl Sutter.

Slap Shots has been told by two sources that the Kings locked the door to their locker room following a defeat on the road within the last two weeks so that Sutter could not get in and deliver what the players apparently expected to be another in a series of lectures/tirades.

As the tale was told, after Sutter finally tracked down an arena operative to unlock the door, he was greeted by three heavy waste receptacles lined up as barricade to what had become an empty room.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me much. I'm sure Sutter will be back to start next year though so it'll be interesting if this carries over.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/11/calendar-coach-exhaust-defending-champion-kings/

Hal Gill retires, seems like a 'coach-type' of guy. Today I think he said he plans to help out with local high school team.

An assistant coach might be a good role for him down the road (maybe with Habs as d-coach, not that have anything against JJD). Just 'seems' a smart, respected, humorous fellow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian ! Any link for information about how much the Habs/Leafs/Rag$ send to the other teams as per the convention ?

today, Tampa announced that they will not tolerate Habs gear for next game.

Molson should not send a penny to any team doing that, IMO.

Allowing tickets to citizens from the area is WAY enough, IMO.