2015 Memorial Cup Thread

dlbalr

McCarron did have a pretty big icebag on his hand in the penalty box after the Morin fight. I suspect it's a little sore but that hasn't kept him from soring, assisting, making plays in all 3 zones, and hitting everything. watch the turnovers pile up when he's out banging on the forecheck. :thumbs_up:

My hopes are a third liner who can put up 20-30

points while hitting the life out if the opposition.

The dream is a second liner who can score 20 goals and close to 50 points while still hitting the life out of the opposition, but I won't hold my breath for that one.

He's also known to be great defensively for the most part, so a good two way player as well other than the physicality.

Maroon is doing great on Ducks' top line.

• Upvote 1

McCarron plays the same brand of hockey that gets people drooling over Eller every April, he's money along the boards, wins a lot of puck battles, and he scores goals in front of the net. He played well defensively, and I'm impressed that he's learned the center position well enough to play for a Memorial Cup tea.

I agree with the others here that he's a dark horse to make the team out of camp as a fourth liner/screen in the 2nd PP

At best he becomes Todd Bertuzzi.

At worst he becomes Hugh Jessiman.

In between is guys like Brian Boyle, Bryan Bickell, Ryane Clowe, Milan Lucic, Dustin Byfuglien etc.

My hope is he ends up our Brent Burns when Burns plays forward. I'd be fine though if he developed into a Boyle type.

McCarron is still playing vs mostly high schoolers 2 years after being drafted, so no one knows if he can even keep up at AHL level yet, let alone NHL.

Brian Boyle seems like a good comparison and he had 31g as a AHL rookie (older rookie), which I think is highly unlikely for McCarron, so maybe a lower scoring Boyle is what he projects to be (Not Malhotra bad but...even Boyle had just 24points this year).

But no way would compare him to a Burns/Byfuglien, seems a bit lofty expectation. :rastapop:

Worth noting from yesterday's game is that McCarron was moved up to the 2nd line (where he proceeded to take a whopping 40 faceoffs). Playing alongside Dal Colle really makes his offensive game stand out more.

Really, everyone other than Don, likes McCarron. But, that's his prerogative and so it shall be :thumbs_up: Next year he'll most likely get a good long look in camp, and then head to St John's. He'll take the next step in his development and hopefully be given a call up at some point.

Really, everyone other than Don, likes McCarron. But, that's his prerogative and so it shall be :thumbs_up: Next year he'll most likely get a good long look in camp, and then head to St John's. He'll take the next step in his development and hopefully be given a call up at some point.

Commandant doesn't like him because he had him pegged in the fourth round.

I think his performances in the exhibition games have been the biggest tell for McCarron's potential career. He looked good in every exhibition game he's played.

Guest Stogey24

He's a monster and has improved immensely from last year. What's not to be happy about? Seems like he's a mature guy for his age too.

My thoughts as well, Machine. I suspect he'll thrive in the 3rd line role, initially, as a heavy forechecker that can create space for linemates, and finish his chances from in close. I believe these attributes will eventually land him in the top 6. No way is he a career 3rd/4th liner. He's still a boy, wait until he developes his man strength and more speed. Look what Mark Stone has done with his skating.

IMO Big Mac might very well make the team as soon as next fall. In his two training camps with the Habs he has looked very good with more mature players. As I wrote earlier, I believe that he is the kind of athletes who will profit from being paired with better teammates.

I see him as a 3rd of 4th line winger to begin his pro career. If he shows the same ability at the higher level to win a high percentage of draws, he might get an opportunity to center a line earlier than we think.

IMO Big Mac might very well make the team as soon as next fall. In his two training camps with the Habs he has looked very good with more mature players.

From day one (when they drafted him), the organization has talked McCarron up as being a four year project and this is only year two. I'm sure there would be a temptation to keep him on the roster but if they have any hopes of him being a top six guy (and that's something I'm still leery about), he has to go to St. John's. Guys that are secondary offensive players in junior generally don't become secondary offensive NHL'ers without a stop in the minors first.

There is a big difference between 'liking' a prospect and seeing him as filling an important role as impact player or some saviour in grit dept ( a la Corson/Nilan II).

Almost every glowing description about him begins by author quoting his size 6'5" 237lb, as if that is his best aspect and like freakish size is nothing but a great thing.

I don't dislike Big Mike, just don't buy into all the hype and disliked choice of him as 1st rounder. Whereas his younger teammate, Hunter Smith was likely chosen in a more appropriate slot for jumbo sized kid at 54th.

Habs picked 25th, 34th and 36th and 55th. Complaining about the "first round pick" quality in 2013 is just silly. Late first rounder, two early second rounders and a late second rounder. 6'4" Gauthier was taken by Toronto only a few picks before McCarron. I guess if we took him we'd have taken a "jumbo sized kid" when we shouldn't have. Of course, McCarron's second OHL year was better than Gauthier's second QMJHL year, but you won't hear that brought up by anyone trying to claim McCarron isn't skilled.

Worth noting from yesterday's game is that McCarron was moved up to the 2nd line (where he proceeded to take a whopping 40 faceoffs). Playing alongside Dal Colle really makes his offensive game stand out more.

Noticed that about being moved up. I feel like he commits to the type of game his coach expects him to play. It makes me feel great about his number after he moved to Oshawa. And His coach leaned on him hard during OT. He was also winning quite a few faceoffs cleany.

Habs picked 25th, 34th and 36th and 55th. Complaining about the "first round pick" quality in 2013 is just silly. Late first rounder, two early second rounders and a late second rounder. 6'4" Gauthier was taken by Toronto only a few picks before McCarron. I guess if we took him we'd have taken a "jumbo sized kid" when we shouldn't have. Of course, McCarron's second OHL year was better than Gauthier's second QMJHL year, but you won't hear that brought up by anyone trying to claim McCarron isn't skilled.

Gauthier is also a poor 1st round choice, but yes also is 'big' grinder good on faceoffs, looks to be another future bottom six guy.

Who claimed Leafs draft well? Have you seen their track record...horrendous.

Tyler Biggs was another 'big' beaut of a pick! and trading up to get Luke Schenn didnt pan out so well neither.

Leafs hit with Morgan Reilly, he is a super prospect and smart choice (Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile),

Do you see Habs (Lefebvre) likely giving McCarron lots of icetime on top six in St Johns?

(Hindsight warning: UGG, they just showed 2013 pick #26 is up for CHL d-man of year. Not fair the friggin Ducks are so deep with super young d-men already, in Fowler, Lindholm, Vatenen, Despres!)

Do you see Habs (Lefebvre) likely giving McCarron lots of icetime on top six in St Johns?

(Hindsight warning: UGG, they just showed 2013 pick #26 is up for CHL d-man of year. Not fair the friggin Ducks are so deep with super young d-men already, in Fowler, Lindholm, Vatenen, Despres!)

It's decisions like retaining Lefebve and not changing the coaching staff despite a PP that sucked for two years that make me nervous about MB. Reeks of the smug old boy's network that Edmonton has.

Quebec's coach Phillipe Boucher on McCarron:

Boucher did praise @MacAttackUSA93 "That kid's going to play in the NHL. He's much better than I thought he was."

— Ryan Pyette (@RyanatLFPress) May 25, 2015

It's obvious that Big Mac has improved enormously in the last year and a half. I hope that he will be able to get a little bit quicker on his feet, particularly on the first strides. It could make quite a difference for him, because he already has respectable top speed.

I don't know if he will to start. Right now Andrighetto and Hudon are for sure ahead of him, probably Carr as well. Scherbak is more suited for top six play and probably has an edge. Does Dumont come back? Does Hensick (or another top six forward)? If so, those two would slide in ahead as well. Do they get someone to replace Thomas (or does he get through waivers)?

As things stand, my guess he's a 2nd/3rd liner to start. Where and at what position (the Habs weren't all that enthused that he was converted to C) will likely be determined when answers to those above questions get answered.

During the first intermission tonight, Patrick Roy noted that he tried to trade for a draft pick to draft Fucale back in 2011 (when he was coach/GM of the Remparts). He then went on about how he was going to give him the #1 job right away and was really impressed with his attitude.

(Before anyone gets too excited, Colorado is probably set in goal for a while so I wouldn't start dreaming up Fucale to Colorado proposals...)

Oshawa leads 1-0 over Kelowna so far in the 2nd. McCarron is having another good game.

• Upvote 1