Offer Sheet Discussion

ICEWATER77

Suppose another team (most likely an EC team) extends an offer sheet to Beaulieu worth a ridiculous amount (4mil?/yr) and MB can't/won't match the offer? Are we screwed and only get a miniscule compensation?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose another team (most likely an EC team) extends an offer sheet to Beaulieu worth a ridiculous amount (4mil?/yr) and MB can't/won't match the offer? Are we screwed and only get a miniscule compensation?

Unless it has changed we'd get a first and a 3rd today if we walked away from $4M.

Here are this offseason's thresholds for offer sheets:

$1,205,377 or below: No Compensation
Over $1,205,377 to $1,826,328: Third round choice
Over $1,826,328 to $3,652,659: Second round choice
Over $3,652,659 to $5,478,986: First round and third round choice
Over $5,478,986 to $7,305,316: First round, second round and third round choice
Over $7,305,316 to $9,131,645: Two first round choices, one second and one third round choice
Over $9,131,645: Four first round choices

Here are this offseason's thresholds for offer sheets:

$1,205,377 or below: No Compensation

Over $1,205,377 to $1,826,328: Third round choice

Over $1,826,328 to $3,652,659: Second round choice

Over $3,652,659 to $5,478,986: First round and third round choice

Over $5,478,986 to $7,305,316: First round, second round and third round choice

Over $7,305,316 to $9,131,645: Two first round choices, one second and one third round choice

Over $9,131,645: Four first round choices

Screw the "unwritten rule". TARASENKO !!!!

The only question is where would you get the 9 million bucks 4 first translates into ?

It wouldn't wind up being $9 million+ to trigger the four first rounders. A little known tidbit about offer sheets, the maximum 'denominator' is five years. If someone signs an offer sheet of six or seven years, the total value of the contract is divided by five years, creating a higher value for compensation purposes.

Suppose a team signed Tarasenko to an offer sheet of 7 years, $49 million, a cap hit of $7 million. On the surface, you'd first think that the cost is a first, second, and a third according to the chart. In fact, it'd be four first rounders (49/5 = $9.8 M; that figure gets used in the compensation calculation).

It wouldn't wind up being $9 million+ to trigger the four first rounders. A little known tidbit about offer sheets, the maximum 'denominator' is five years. If someone signs an offer sheet of six or seven years, the total value of the contract is divided by five years, creating a higher value for compensation purposes.

Suppose a team signed Tarasenko to an offer sheet of 7 years, $49 million, a cap hit of $7 million. On the surface, you'd first think that the cost is a first, second, and a third according to the chart. In fact, it'd be four first rounders (49/5 = $9.8 M; that figure gets used in the compensation calculation).

Wow did not know that. That really changes the outlook.

There are some names on there that are not exactly household names. Gary Nylund ? never accomplished much. Featherstone same thing. I vaguely remember these guys.

There are some names on there that are not exactly household names. Gary Nylund ? never accomplished much. Featherstone same thing. I vaguely remember these guys.

Back in the day, lots of players got offer sheets when they weren't stars or anything. Ron Tugnutt's offer sheet cost absolutely nothing. Back then you could also negotiate compensation instead of just sticking to a draft pick price. The rich teams used to throw offer sheets all of the time.

The worst ones of course were Shayne Corson (Keenan over-valued him and let the Blues give up Curtis Joseph to get him back), Chris Gratton (he was like a poor man's Eric Lindros back in the day, big power center who was more potential than results) and the Brendan Shanahan/Scott Stevens fiascos. That said, I love Ron Caron for his balls to make so many gutsy offer sheets.

Back in the day, lots of players got offer sheets when they weren't stars or anything. Ron Tugnutt's offer sheet cost absolutely nothing. Back then you could also negotiate compensation instead of just sticking to a draft pick price. The rich teams used to throw offer sheets all of the time.

The worst ones of course were Shayne Corson (Keenan over-valued him and let the Blues give up Curtis Joseph to get him back), Chris Gratton (he was like a poor man's Eric Lindros back in the day, big power center who was more potential than results) and the Brendan Shanahan/Scott Stevens fiascos. That said, I love Ron Caron for his balls to make so many gutsy offer sheets.

Yeah we could use some GMs with balls. They are just all too friendly with each other. Mind you sometimes that is good for trades and such.

• 2 weeks later...

SO if dirty games like leaking stuff happens, why don't they also routinely make more offers to good young RFAs, if it will surely cause pain to those close to cap and are willing to part with a couple/few picks?

I mean right now it is 99.9% likely Bergevin is only one to offer Galchenyuk/Tinordi a deal, why wouldn't Leafs offer Galchenyuk $4.0m/yr or Tinordi a $2.5m/yr deal, primarily to cause Habs pain?

It isn't breaking any bit of CBA is it? And you lose a couple picks to get a skilled NHL roster youngster (if he signs offer sheet), with picks being a crapshoot, might be smart move.

Other than pissing off one GM, which might cause friction; but so what is nothing personal, just business.

Or is it just too costly in draft picks for what you get?

Plekanec had 60 points last season. There isn't a center in the league getting 60 points on the third line.

I haven't quite grasped why some people want to trade him so badly. If we do I want a lot of offence in return. He is a mainstay and will be staying. We can take a look at it next year around the deadline.

SO if dirty games like leaking stuff happens, why don't they also routinely make more offers to good young RFAs, if it will surely cause pain to those close to cap and are willing to part with a couple/few picks?

I mean right now it is 99.9% likely Bergevin is only one to offer Galchenyuk/Tinordi a deal, why wouldn't Leafs offer Galchenyuk $4.0m/yr or Tinordi a $2.5m/yr deal, primarily to cause Habs pain?

It isn't breaking any bit of CBA is it? And you lose a couple picks to get a skilled NHL roster youngster (if he signs offer sheet), with picks being a crapshoot, might be smart move.

Other than pissing off one GM, which might cause friction; but so what is nothing personal, just business.

Or is it just too costly in draft picks for what you get?

They don't want to piss off their buddies. It makes finding a 4 some harder.

Yes I get the whole politics of not stepping on another GM's toes, but seems a weak argument to not look to undermine an opponent tight to cap, or simply a crack at acquiring a good impact youngster like Hamilton/Tarasenko/Stepan/Saad..

Yes I get the whole politics of not stepping on another GM's toes, but seems a weak argument to not look to undermine an opponent tight to cap, or simply a crack at acquiring a good impact youngster like Hamilton/Tarasenko/Stepan/Saad..

I am in total agreement but just take a look at the Burke/Lowe broohaha with fisticuffs threatened and everything. :)

The fan enthusiasm for making offer sheets to other teams' RFAs seems pretty short-sighted to me. It always assumes that WE will be the only team doing it and that nobody is going to do it to US.

If you ask me, the gentleman's agreement is simply based on a realistic appraisal of enlightened self-interest: I don't want you screwing up my player development/salary structure, so I won't screw up yours. The GMs are avoiding a mutually destructive arms race.

The only teams that ought to be contemplating offer sheets are teams with zero quality young players in the system. They have nothing to lose by breaking the gentleman's agreement. Everyone else has a vested interest in avoiding it.

The fan enthusiasm for making offer sheets to other teams' RFAs seems pretty short-sighted to me. It always assumes that WE will be the only team doing it and that nobody is going to do it to US.

If you ask me, the gentleman's agreement is simply based on a realistic appraisal of enlightened self-interest: I don't want you screwing up my player development/salary structure, so I won't screw up yours. The GMs are avoiding a mutually destructive arms race.

The only teams that ought to be contemplating offer sheets are teams with zero quality young players in the system. They have nothing to lose by breaking the gentleman's agreement. Everyone else has a vested interest in avoiding it.

Yes I agree CC but then why have it at all. If everyone agrees not to do it, then get rid of it. But at some point wouldn't the NHLPA sue screaming collusion amongst the teams to prevent player movement and keep salaries low? I am actually surprised this hasn't come up. Anyways if there is going to a year where the fur will fly, this year looks to be the one. It is going to be interesting to see someone fires that first shot.