Greg Pateryn signs a two year extension

dlbalr

Okay. Don't get me wrong. I agree 200% that Pateryn needs to be extended and locked up beyond Gilbert's inevitable departure.

But, I also find this extention very uncharacteristic for MB. Not like Pateryn is going to explode for 40 pts and force and unreasonable contract. Not sure what the rush was. Perhaps it was just to show confidence in him.

Makes me worry that he's trade bait. :cry_smile:

Dry the tears , it will be ok. I promise. :)

You don't extend a guy to help his trade value. If you're planning on trading him, the acquiring team would rather be the one to negotiate the new deal.

Depending if he'll be UFA or RFA. Which was the point of my initial question.

Umm.. I'm pretty sure a player under contract for 3 years has more trade value than a pending FA.

...but what do I know.

It depends on the player and right now Pateryn, contract or not, has very little value.

If he has such little value. Why was he signed to an extension?

Especially when other players haven't even been signed at all.

You don't extend a guy to help his trade value. If you're planning on trading him, the acquiring team would rather be the one to negotiate the new deal.

I just find it uncharacteristic and speculating. Something is amiss to me. I love it though. Much rather see Gilbert or even Tinordi go at this point. PK Petry Pateryn is contention RD to me. :thumbs_up:

Although. There is no guarantee that he'll want to extend with the acquiring team for 2 years.

If he has such little value. Why was he signed to an extension?

Especially when other players haven't even been signed at all.

Because it was an easy contract. He's an 800K cap hit. He proved he could play third pairing D and that's it. Remember, we also signed Mark Barberio who played more NHL games than Pateryn last season. More NHL experience at the same age and makes less. No guarantees that Pateryn makes the NHL roster at camp. Young third pairing D are dime a dozen right now. His biggest advantage over the likes of Barberio and Tinordi is his right handed shot.

Umm.. I'm pretty sure a player under contract for 3 years has more trade value than a pending FA.

...but what do I know.

Most of the time, saying a player with three years left on his deal has more value than a pending free agent is correct and probably in this one too. That's not the point I was making though.

Did the Habs extend him with the thought of trading him, as you're speculating, or did they extend him because they like him and want to keep him around? Most of the time, players get extended because the team wants to keep him around. It is extremely rare that a team gives a player a multi-year extension and then turns around and trades him a week or two later.

So, my original statement of saying that a team doesn't extend a player to help is trade value is still true. Yes, it probably does help his trade value but that's not the motivation behind them extending a guy less than two hours after he becomes eligible for a contract extension. If you're rushing to get a guy extended, you're planning to keep him, not trade him.

Sounds good to me, otherwise I would have to edit my Favourite Habs.

But got a feeling I may need to do it for my other fave sooner than later! :blush:

Pateryn definitely has value... He's a young, tough D with a reasonable cap hit.

The fact that Barberio played more games last year doesn't decrease Pateryn's value. I think GP is a staple in the top 7 this year, which unless a trade comes, is likely bad news for Tinordi.

Well, as much as I am really hopeful Tinordi will be the D man we all hoped he would, at this point it is entirely up to him and how he plays that will determine his career path, he has got to step up and make a spot for himself, or fall to the wayside and be shipped off.

Either way, I am happy with Pateryn's showing last season, and like what he brings to the Hab roster, and glad he was extended and is apparently at least, a part of the team's plan for the future.

+1

Pateryn definitely has value... He's a young, tough D with a reasonable cap hit.

The fact that Barberio played more games last year doesn't decrease Pateryn's value. I think GP is a staple in the top 7 this year, which unless a trade comes, is likely bad news for Tinordi.

Well, as much as I am really hopeful Tinordi will be the D man we all hoped he would, at this point it is entirely up to him and how he plays that will determine his career path, he has got to step up and make a spot for himself, or fall to the wayside and be shipped off.

Either way, I am happy with Pateryn's showing last season, and like what he brings to the Hab roster, and glad he was extended and is apparently at least, a part of the team's plan for the future.

+1 sorry I screwed up the quoting thing.