Sabres vs Habs 7:30 March 10 2016

DON

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' data-author="Lovett's Magnatones" data-cid="554632" data-time="1457881698"><p>Obama said that. That his biggest regret was the amount of rancor in political discourse during his presidency. Great presidents from both sides of the aisles are unifiers. We have checks and balances in America, someone with attitude of "I won, we're doing this" isn't going to be successful.</p></blockquote>That sounds a hell of a lot more like the 8 years of bush. The only time Bush was ever able to unify the country is when he misled or lied to it.

Let's not go there...

Canadians have a skewed and small ball view of politics because their country has never been important.

That hurt my feelings, I think I'll go to the hospital and get them checked out for free.

The night of his first inauguration, Republican big shots held a meeting where they settled on the strategy of opposing everything Obama did. This pathological response was further compounded when the Tea Party swept to power. Come on. Hard to blame Obama for having trouble getting buy-in from hyper-partisans and ideological puritans.

Yes, Lovett, I'm aware that Clinton lied to the grand jury about getting a blow job. I'm also aware that his being dragged before the grand jury was the end result of a systematic and multi-million dollar process of investigation (Ken Starr) begun by a hyper-antagonistic Republican Congress, and which, not finding any smoking gun over legal improprieties, turned instead to the sphere of actual provable 'moral' impropriety. This was/is not normal politics. It's a politics predicated on the axiomatic denial of the legitimacy of your opponents - that's to say, an anti-democratic politics.

Didn't mean to imply that you were Republican, however.

Is the United States a country of vastly greater importance than Canada? Of course. The US is a society of world-historical importance, like ancient Rome or imperial Britain. Canada is just a run-of-the-mill 'normal' country in the OECD context. Which is a better place to live in, or a better-run society, is quite a different question. Given that Scandinavian countries (especially Norway) top global rankings on nearly every indicator of success, those countries are actually the ones that have things figured out, it seems to me.

Welp, things have gotten a little off course, and we're getting pretty close to personal attacks here. I don't want to discourage non-hockey related debate, but this thread isn't the place. Feel free to start another thread, but let's keep the cheap shots and any disrespect away, ok?