Sept. 29: Ottawa vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

7 hours ago, JGC21 said:

He was a sieve tonight.  He's done.  Give the keys to Montoya and release this guy.

Absolutely, Condon still doesn't know where the net is behind him if there is any sideways puck movement, terrible goalie.

I watched the game and my thoughts were, Condon sucks, Lehkonen(spell check) is pretty good, Andrighetto looks great this pre season, Redmond is smart, fast and quite physical, McCarron is working extremely hard, and Sergachev is outstanding, Ferraro said "Mtl has a very special player there". Hudon, meh.

Desharnais was by far the worst looking player out there, on his ass every shift, looked pretty out of shape to me.

Last but not least, I'm with Stogey, I can't take another year of Plekanec shooting the puck from anywhere, every time he makes the offensive zone, cut, keep, keep, cut and shoot, he has my offensive vision(none), no help to Lehkonen and Andrighetto, who looked like they could put up points in the NHL... Pleks is an awesome defensive player, but such an individual when it comes to offense, he probably would be the best 3rd line C in the league, but he won't play there for coach Mike... 

Was at the Bell Centre yesterday.

Impressed by : 

McCarron :  His reach gives him an edge on the PK to get in the way of passes lines. Great goal, pure power forward goal there. Settled a little scrum after the whistle pretty easily when Sergachev was involved. Good to have him around for this purpose.

Sergachev : He made a little deke at the Sens blue line which I was not expecting from a 18 years old rookie.  He skates really well too. Pretty calm with the puck, layed out a few body checks without getting out of position too much.

Redmond :  He started the game real bad, but turned his entire game around after a few shifts. Great goal too.

I noticed Lehkonen early and the game and late in the game.  There were a span in the middle when he was not really noticeable (is that a word?). He should have had a goal, but hit the post on a real hard shot.

Pateryn was playing like a regular 6th dman.  I already said on this board that I didn't believe he would reach 50 games with the Habs, he probably proved me wrong over the last 2 seasons. I still believe his ceilings are pretty much reached already, but he seems to be good enough for regular NHL duty.

Not impressed by :

Condon :  Duh.  Even though the first goal was kind of lucky, he didn't look calm and confident out there. At all.

Farhnam :  Get rid of this guy already. Useless.

Hudon :  Had some good flashes, but not as much as I would have like to.  Maybe because he was playing with...

Desharnais : 2 or 3 beautiful passes. Could have easily stand out really good as he was facing weak competition.

Barberio :  Brain fart when he played with a broken stick and cancelled a power play.

Not that I was not impressed, but was expecting more from Carr and Andrighetto. They are playing their future here at this camp and did not stand out that much.

Usual performances by  Beaulieu, Pax, Chucky and Gally. 

Sub par game for Plekanec

Lindgren looked like a stud on the bench. WOW !!!

Did not even bother following Terry and Hanley.

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, KoRP said:

Absolutely, Condon still doesn't know where the net is behind him if there is any sideways puck movement, terrible goalie.

I watched the game and my thoughts were, Condon sucks, Lehkonen(spell check) is pretty good, Andrighetto looks great this pre season, Redmond is smart, fast and quite physical, McCarron is working extremely hard, and Sergachev is outstanding, Ferraro said "Mtl has a very special player there". Hudon, meh.

Desharnais was by far the worst looking player out there, on his ass every shift, looked pretty out of shape to me.

Last but not least, I'm with Stogey, I can't take another year of Plekanec shooting the puck from anywhere, every time he makes the offensive zone, cut, keep, keep, cut and shoot, he has my offensive vision(none), no help to Lehkonen and Andrighetto, who looked like they could put up points in the NHL... Pleks is an awesome defensive player, but such an individual when it comes to offense, he probably would be the best 3rd line C in the league, but he won't play there for coach Mike... 

There was a big difference of Lehkonen on Galchenyuk and Gallagher's line compared to Plekanec's line.

Plekanec doesn't like to set up in the zone. Sharp angle shots are his bread and butter. That doesn't do much for his linemates. 

I won't get into this Plekanec debate, because it is true, he put up decent numbers last year. I just don't think Lehkonen will be getting showcased, on a line with Plekanec. 

Pleks is one of the top Habs of this era (which says a lot about this era, but that's another story). But he's never been much at using his line-mates in the offensive zone. His age is what worries me...he's about at that point where guys tend to either lose a step or start to rack up injuries. I see this as one potential X-factor that could complicate the WIN NOW strategy, since Pleks remains a very key player with no obvious successor. Time will tell...

1 hour ago, DON said:

Well, of Lehkonen, Hudon, Carr, McCarron and Andrighetto, who has the inside track to make the cut?

Andrighetto would have the best chance simply based on the fact he's waiver eligible and would likely get claimed if the Habs were to waive him.  I don't think Hudon is playing himself into the mix.  McCarron/Carr have had one good game and one not-so-good game from the sounds of things.  I'd like Carr to make it but something tells me he's going to start in the minors in large part due to his waiver exemption (allowing them to open a spot for Lehkonen).

Guest Stogey24

Carr's skating is a pretty big draw back for him. Just doesn't have that quick first step. 

Hudon has actually played pretty well. He's a crafty player and isn't afraid to go into the corners. I'd personally rather see him over Andrighetto on this team. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Andrighetto would have the best chance simply based on the fact he's waiver eligible and would likely get claimed if the Habs were to waive him.  I don't think Hudon is playing himself into the mix.  McCarron/Carr have had one good game and one not-so-good game from the sounds of things.  I'd like Carr to make it but something tells me he's going to start in the minors in large part due to his waiver exemption (allowing them to open a spot for Lehkonen).

I agree with this assessment.  I think Andrighetto makes the team and I see him on the second line with Plex and Radulov.

I like Lehknonen and Shaw as wingers on the third line.  If Desharnais can somehow get hurt, then I get my wish and McCarron becomes the 3rd line center.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pleks is one of the top Habs of this era (which says a lot about this era, but that's another story). But he's never been much at using his line-mates in the offensive zone. His age is what worries me...he's about at that point where guys tend to either lose a step or start to rack up injuries. I see this as one potential X-factor that could complicate the WIN NOW strategy, since Pleks remains a very key player with no obvious successor. Time will tell...

Should note that veterans with a secured role on the team are known to not go 100% in training camp. No one else on the team does what Pleks does as far as two-way play as a centreman. He might not be making his linemates look better right now (which sucks for them for sure) but I don't think this indicates a lost step.

24 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Should note that veterans with a secured role on the team are known to not go 100% in training camp. No one else on the team does what Pleks does as far as two-way play as a centreman. He might not be making his linemates look better right now (which sucks for them for sure) but I don't think this indicates a lost step.

100% correct

Add in the fact that Pleks already has 6 highly competitive World Cup games (3 pre-tourney) under his belt, and there is even more incentive not to try hard. 

I think Pleks is a decent centerman and like others have said plays a great two way game. He may not be the best set up guy but he put up a lot of points last year.

Also I would like to point out that I don't think Pleks will be the one doing a lot of the setting up, I think that's where Radulov comes in. He seems like a great playmaker that can create chances and help Pleks get off his shot in higher danger shooting areas as well as whoever will be on the left side.

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Oh, I don't put any stock in preseason either...my post was more in the way of a general observation that Pleks might be older than the organization needs him to be. But it's certainly too soon to be definitive about that.