Oct. 13 - Season Opener, Habs vs Sabres

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

We'll see, I wasn't a huge fan of the signing from the beginning, but you need players like him in the line up.

I'm not saying I like the dirty plays, but you need guys to get in players faces once and a while. Especially on this team. The bottom 6 has no grit. 

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Nice to see Shaw is doing everything in his power to prove me right. 

Good for you Nostradamus, pat yourself on the back. 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Never said Shaw couldn't score. I'm still convinced he'll find his way into the top six. 

He's a numbskull who never went too far when he was younger on a Blackhawks powerhouse but since last year he has been off his chain. He's going to continue to be suspended, continue to take bad penalties, continue to fight for no reason, and all the while provide secondary scoring so guys like you will have something to excuse it. 

That's my concern as well. The very early returns suggest a Matt Cooke-type, a valuable player who is out of control. If that's what we signed to a six-year deal, then...yeesh.

12 hours ago, Chris said:

Sergachev had a few gaffs, what do you expect from an 18 year old on D, he will plenty more. Several D made some bone headed plays.

And that's a big reason why they need to send him back sooner than later.  A Buffalo team missing arguably their two top forwards made him look silly on more than a few occasions in limited minutes last night.  Imagine a good team and what they can do against him.  The way to develop a young defenceman isn't to throw him to the wolves and hope it all works out in the end.  If he can't cut it, send him back with a short list of areas to focus on and then see where he's at a year from now (which should almost assuredly be better than he currently is).

10 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

A few plays Sergachev made in his own end were seriously questionable. Nerves probably weren't helping him either though 

Yup and not sure what excuse Galchenyuk has for couple braindead giveaways as well? Not great when Emelin was just about the best d-man.

Was Sergachev's attempt at hip check just a joke, or did he actually think he would connect on that one? Oh well, just his 1st game so should be cut some slack and assume (hope) he will touch better tomorrow, unless Petry is back? 

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

And that's a big reason why they need to send him back sooner than later.  A Buffalo team missing arguably their two top forwards made him look silly on more than a few occasions in limited minutes last night.  Imagine a good team and what they can do against him.  The way to develop a young defenceman isn't to throw him to the wolves and hope it all works out in the end.  If he can't cut it, send him back with a short list of areas to focus on and then see where he's at a year from now (which should almost assuredly be better than he currently is).

I agree 100% with this, MTL needs a solid top 4 on defense and Sergachev is not there yet: Weber, Beaulieu, Markov, Petry.  

I think the team also needs Emelin/Pateryn playing for their toughness factor.  This leaves Sergachev on the outs.  Send him back to junior to work on his game and bring him along slowly.  There is no rush.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

No suspension for Shaw: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/10/14/no-suspension-for-shaw-after-slew-footing-larsson/

Mitchell appears to be okay as well, he's skating today.

I'm not sure what type of discipline a slew foot usually brings, but to me the slew factor in this instance was pretty high. He basically kicked his skate from behind 

4 minutes ago, illWill said:

I'm not sure what type of discipline a slew foot usually brings, but to me the slew factor in this instance was pretty high. He basically kicked his skate from behind 

On its own, usually nothing, maybe a fine.  But given the incident from less than two weeks ago, it wouldn't have been surprising to see him get some sort of supplemental discipline.

43 minutes ago, habs rule said:

The players protection league ( a new idea) believe no injury minimal discipline, usually nothing. I think a fine would have been appropriate however much the maximum is.

? "No injury minimal discipline?" Sounds stupid to me...if you want to eliminate the behaviour, then punish the behaviour, not whatever random effect it may or may not happen to have. We give tickets to people for running red lights irrespective of whether they cause a crash. Same principle should apply here. But the NHL is a total joke in terms of player safety, so what's the point of even talking about it.

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

? "No injury minimal discipline?" Sounds stupid to me...if you want to eliminate the behaviour, then punish the behaviour, not whatever random effect it may or may not happen to have. We give tickets to people for running red lights irrespective of whether they cause a crash. Same principle should apply here. But the NHL is a total joke in terms of player safety, so what's the point of even talking about it.

my underlying point exactly.