Habs Playoff Preparations Begin

Commandant

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed, but in fairness, how many series have Habs' goaltenders stolen over the years? :lol: I guess we were due.

If we win another cup or 4 maybe I will get over that series.

So let's say the Habs beat the Rangers, do they go back through the Atlantic division or how does that work? I thought I had a grasp of this crazy format until I tried explaining it to a co-worker 

54 minutes ago, illWill said:

So let's say the Habs beat the Rangers, do they go back through the Atlantic division or how does that work? I thought I had a grasp of this crazy format until I tried explaining it to a co-worker 

Winner of Habs/Rangers plays Winner of 2 vs 3 in Atlantic. 

19 minutes ago, illWill said:

Okay great thanks. Love the Hab's chances to go deep even more now 

Yes, the format is completely asinine - proof of its stupidity is that attentive fans such as yourself require a special explanation of how the playoff ladder works - but it does seem to optimize the Habs' chances this year. As I say, this is probably going to be our best chance of winning in the Bergevin era.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As I say, this is probably going to be our best chance of winning in the Bergevin era SO FAR.

Fixed that for ya.:D

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Fixed that for ya.:D

Ever the optimist.

Anything is possible, but I find it unlikely that we will be this healthy going into future playoffs, and have such promising match-ups. (Remember, we have about three years after this one before Weber deteriorates, assuming him to have a normal career arc, so I see us as operating within a fairly short window). I'm also not too clear on how MB is supposed to add another major piece or two, without weakening the team in other areas, when even holding onto Radu is likely to be challenging and when we have only one elite prospect likely to graduate to the big club within the 3-year projected span. The only obvious opening I can see is dumping Plek's contract and upgrading that way.

Still, ya never know. Maybe he can hit a franchise-altering home run on a trade; first time for everything. ;)

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ever the optimist.

Anything is possible, but I find it unlikely that we will be this healthy going into future playoffs, and have such promising match-ups. (Remember, we have about three years after this one before Weber deteriorates, assuming him to have a normal career arc, so I see us as operating within a fairly short window). I'm also not too clear on how MB is supposed to add another major piece or two, without weakening the team in other areas, when even holding onto Radu is likely to be challenging and when we have only one elite prospect likely to graduate to the big club within the 3-year projected span. The only obvious opening I can see is dumping Plek's contract and upgrading that way.

Still, ya never know. Maybe he can hit a franchise-altering home run on a trade; first time for everything. ;)

The way Weber plays the game, I don't know if you can assume his body will fall apart on his 34th birthday. 

25 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

The way Weber plays the game, I don't know if you can assume his body will fall apart on his 34th birthday. 

I'd be more worried about him losing a step than 'falling apart.'

I haven't studied the patterns closely, but to my mind once a player enters the region of 34 years old, they are definitely at high risk of decline. It is much more realistic to assume a decline than to assume that he'll be one of these rare age-defying freaks. The likeliest outcome is that he remains a top-4 guy for a few years but gets too slow to eat the kind of minutes he currently does.

I find people are weird when it comes to hockey players getting old. Last year, I kept saying that Pleks was on the cusp of decline, and kept getting dismissed. But facts are facts. Most players are in decline by their mid-30s. The guys who don't seem to be guys like Lidstrom, who are great skaters.

Assuming Weber does follow normal patterns, the best case scenario would have Sergachev emerging as a #1 guy around the time he begins to recede.

I imagine Rangers hoped for an Ottawa match-up, while Habs likely got an opponent they are fine with.

1st step, are we all chipping in so lucky JoeLassister and his girlfriend can attend all the home games?:youpi:

4 hours ago, habs rule said:

I wonder if Radulov s going to use going to the olympics as part of the negotiations on his new contract?

He's pissed that the Russian team didn't want him for the World Cup. So I don't know if they want him for the Olympics or not. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Physical players who make a lot of hits and block a lot of shots fall apart sooner than guys who are more smooth. 

While some can last, the odds are against Weber being good in his late 30s, while they favor a guy like Markov being good at that age. 

7 hours ago, habs rule said:

I wonder if Radulov s going to use going to the olympics as part of the negotiations on his new contract?

Which Olympics is this you speak of? The Exxon, Budweiser or Domino's one?

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Physical players who make a lot of hits and block a lot of shots fall apart sooner than guys who are more smooth. 

While some can last, the odds are against Weber being good in his late 30s, while they favor a guy like Markov being good at that age. 

Markov couple knee surgeries...Weber zero major injuries. Markov wasn't a speedster to begin with and is still 'capable' top four at worst.

You and CC just keep beating the cynical drum of there being a very short window for Weber to be a top d-man. While you seem to be looking  or quoting several seasons down the road, why be so consistently negative for all the years that he will be a very capable #1 d-man?

18 hours ago, DON said:

I imagine Rangers hoped for an Ottawa match-up, while Habs likely got an opponent they are fine with.

1st step, are we all chipping in so lucky JoeLassister and his girlfriend can attend all the home games?:youpi:

Well... it's 1 game per series.

We'll definitely be attending the first round game.

The others... I might be tempted to sell these tix since I'm in the process of buying a house and all the money I can get my hands on is welcome.

If we ever reach the SC Final,  I'll be in some kind of HUUUGE dilemma.  The big money  or the big game ??

11 hours ago, DON said:

Markov couple knee surgeries...Weber zero major injuries. Markov wasn't a speedster to begin with and is still 'capable' top four at worst.

You and CC just keep beating the cynical drum of there being a very short window for Weber to be a top d-man. While you seem to be looking  or quoting several seasons down the road, why be so consistently negative for all the years that he will be a very capable #1 d-man?

Fine. Weber will continue to be an elite #1 defenceman until age 41 when his contract expires. Then we will renew him for another 10 years at a massive cap hit because he is so awesome. In fact, we should sign him to a 100-year deal because he is, in fact, immortal, and not subject to the normal rules of human aging. Because of his extraordinary nature as a divine being exempt from the laws of mortality, he will be the first NHLer in history to experience zero decline in mobility or speed as he ages. Satisfied?

When smart people make plans and develop expectations, they work from an awareness of normal patterns. Like I keep saying, my posts on this topic are informed by the normal patterns that affect NHL players. Hopefully our management team's assumptions are similarly informed. Because gambling the mortgage on a given player proving to be an exception to normal patterns is stupid.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

To me weber's career doesn't define this team's window of opportunity.

there are a few here who don't like Weber , and that's fine ...but Weber isn't a problem NOW....predicting whether he will be a good player when he is 40 is ...well, who cares? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Well... it's 1 game per series.

We'll definitely be attending the first round game.

The others... I might be tempted to sell these tix since I'm in the process of buying a house and all the money I can get my hands on is welcome.

If we ever reach the SC Final,  I'll be in some kind of HUUUGE dilemma.  The big money  or the big game ??

An extra month or two of mortgage is worth it if we win the cup. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

there are a few here who don't like Weber , and that's fine ...but Weber isn't a problem NOW....predicting whether he will be a good player when he is 40 is ...well, who cares? 

More or less what I was getting at.

How he plays next Wed & Friday games is a bit more important.  

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

An extra month or two of mortgage is worth it if we win the cup. 

I have to agree... but is it worth not having a great sofa set in a brand new house for a couple months ?

16 minutes ago, DON said:

More or less what I was getting at.

How he plays next Wed & Friday games is a bit more important.  

ya...and comparing him to Markov is kinda useless...both are freaks of nature.  Hey remember Chelios...he played until he was 47...they had to wheel him in and out of the Joe Louis arena, but he played night after night...