Could Brisebois Stay?

puck7x

We're already kind of discussing this in other threads, but this is a new article... So it can have its own discussion...

http://habsworld.net/article.php?id=811

Could Brisebois stay? Should Brisebois stay?

As I've said before, I'd like him to stay. He's showed great loyalty to the team over the years, and he's our only link (player) to the 93 cup winning team. He's taken so much shit from the fans over the years (some deserved, most not), but he's always stuck with the team. I'd love to have him back (at a reduced price), but alot depends on if we are allowed to decline his option (I'm not even sure if the 1 million buyout comes into play for this) and then re-sign him. It all depends on the wording in Patrice's contract, and the rules of the new CBA.

If we can get him back at a cheaper price, go for it! If we cant... Then sorry Patrice, that cap space is just too important.

I think we should keep him, at a reduced price. But also if we have a true #1 pairing. Breezer is most efficient when kept in a limited role with limited ice-time. Ideally the Habs should get a true #1 D-man to play on the right side with either Souray or Markov, and keep Brisebois for the 2nd pair and PP.

The Habs defence is weak. This is no secret. Buying out Brisebois and Rivet essentially requires Gainey to sign two free agent d men, and still have Hainsey as our 6th man.

That's awfully shoddy.

Sign a free agent D man, resign Brisebois to a lesser contract, and make sure he doesn't play over his abilities.

That would make me happy. In order of importance; Souray, Markov, UFA, Komisarek, Brisebois, Rivet, Hainsey, Boullion.

I'm okay with that.

Brisebois has been overpaid for a long time. But, that's not his fault.

I will say that he is reasonably consistant. If you could rate him a 7.5 overall on a scale of 1-10, I would say that he plays 7.5 most of the time.

Rivet might be the one to go?

So much speculation right now. How many quality free agents are there going to be? There could be lots of them.

I'm happy that the Habs are in good shape to deal with all this.

Uhm... Are you actually allowed to sign a player whose contract you've bought out? I'm not sure Gainey can buy out Brisebois and then sign him again.

At least that's how I think the old CBA worked.

That question aside, I agree with puck.

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos

Uhm... Are you actually allowed to sign a player whose contract you've bought out? I'm not sure Gainey can buy out Brisebois and then sign him again.

At least that's how I think the old CBA worked.

In the last CBA you were allowed to buyout and then re-sign. In the NEW CBA you are not allowed to buyout a player and sign him during that same season.

I never said we should buy him out though, I said decline his option. I'm just not sure of the specifics of his contract, if we decline his option we might have to pay him $1 million , which could count as a buyout... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, it is a complicated matter. Especially now with everyone getting acquinted with the new CBA.

Thanks for clearing up a thing or two though. :/)

The buyout clause for this summer in the CBA is only to allow the teams who are/would be at or over the 39m cap to get as much under as they choose. They threw in the stipulation of not resigning them so the teams don't make side deal with the players (let me buy you out, and i'll sign you to a contract that will enable you to earn the same cash as your pre-buyout cash ex. player A with 2 years remainging at 3m per, buyout =4 million. team could sign player A again at 2 years 1 mil per (or more) and then the player recieves at least the same amount of money and the team finds loophole in the cba) Teams would have definitely used this option, so the league cut it out.

And since any other buyout in subsequent years will be included in the cap figure, teams will be able to resign the players, if they choose, since the above "sidedeal" wouldn't make sense for the team.

Buyouts are for remaining years on the contract, when the Habs don't pick up his option, he has no years remaining on his contract, thus he isn't being bought out in the same sense. So, my understanding would be that the 1 million dollar buyout compensation (which may take the 24% rollback too) will count against the cap, since BG will be working with the negotiated contract and now the CBA buy out clause.

Resignign Brisebois would only makes sense if he accepts a 1.75m max contract (which i think he would). That way he is still technically getting 2.75m and the habs clear 500,000 while maintian a veteran dman with alot less pressure on his soldier.

(On a side note, and it shold be in another thread, but I'm lazy)...too bad they put the UFA-after-7 years pro clause as of 2007 and not this summer. With the lost season counting in terms of a year of service, Lecalvalier would have been a 7 year veteran and thus a UFA. Here's hoping he signs a 2 years deal :ghg:

I don't hate Briesbois as much as some but I do not think he can stay with such a huge contract.

I will be sad to see Rivet leave. I've always thought he was a decent depth Dman. Seemed to have a good attitude but hey when you have a Komisarus Rex in the waiting, you gotta make some sacrifices.

[Edited on 2005/7/17 by Leafs Suck]

Souray - UFA

Markov - Brisebois

??? - Komisarek

Hainsey, Bouillon, etc.

That would be 3 solid pairings. When Souray hits a rough patch, you can swap him with Markov and not lose much. Its the UFA spot that's tough to fill. If you can't fill it via free agency, you could always make a trade for it. The ??? spot could be used to give Hainsey one last chance or for a D-man aquired by trade.

[Edited on 17-7-2005 by ap79]

If there is a way to keep Patrice, I think BG will find it. He showed great loyalty to him when he backed him up before last season, so it is obvious that he respects him as a player and as a member of the Habs.

IMHO he should stay. He's not so bad d-man, he's not the only one who makes mistakes (am I right, Sheldon? :) ) and for me, personally, his dedication to the Canadiens is extremely important. Last year (whoops... last SEASON) he did everything to prove that he deserves a place in Canadiens roster. Why not give him another chance? Of course, his contract should be reduced.

I hope Brisebois stays, at a lower price of course, but I hope he stays!

A bigger D-problem is Rivet, who may end up being one of our highest-paid players, and does what exactly?

Brisebois is an exciting player -- something will happen when he gets the puck (ok, not always something good), and am I wrong or did he lead the team in plus/minus last year? That can't be bad, and he knows how to make the open ice pass and put the offence in motion, that is his style -- you want tough stay-at-home, well we have Komi now.

Brisebois is a good fit on the habs, I think, just need to keep him at a more realistic price.

I PREDICT WE ARE GOING TO DO GREAT THIS YEAR!!!

Here is the Eklund take on our beloved Habs.

"So much for Sidney getting his choice! Sorry to my friends at Team 990 in Montreal where i guest twice a week....

Brisbois of course is going to be bought out, but will make a very attractive player elsewhere....I have heard interest from the Kings...Theodore, Koivu and Ryder all need to be signed back up. I have heard strong rumors that Kovalev loves the city and wants to stay as well...so far not many real free agent rumors surrounding the habs.."

If you can tell me who is a guest twice a week on the Fan 990 A.M. Radio station in Montreal than thats Eklund.

Is it Farber???

[Edited on 2005/7/22 by Habsrocket]

No Brisebois can't stay if the Habs buy out his contract.

Any team that buys out a player cannot bring that player back for 1 Calender year, whether it be through trade, free agency ect.

I personally think they should buy out Brisebois and use the $3 million on another quality defenseman i.e Adam Foote, Tomas Kaberle if reports are true out of Toronto that they'll buy him out, or even bring back Eric Dejardins (again if Philly buys him out) to help develop Ron Hainsey and Mike Komisarek.

They could also use the savings to help keep Alexi Kovalev in Montreal, or bring in someone like Jeff O'Neill, Glen Murray or even Paul Kariya.

If they brought in another defenseman I'd look at buying out Craig Rivet as well.

Originally posted by kaos

No Brisebois can't stay if the Habs buy out his contract.

Any team that buys out a player cannot bring that player back for 1 Calender year, whether it be through trade, free agency ect.

Is that specifically for the special buyout period that is being offered at the front of the new CBA? Because Brisebois has a club option year this year in his old contract, could this be a special exception?

They could also use the savings to help keep Alexi Kovalev in Montreal, or bring in someone like Jeff O'Neill, Glen Murray or even Paul Kariya.

I'm pretty sure we won't see Jeff O'Neill as he said the he wants to play for Toronto if he will be bought out by the Canes.

Oh I see. I thought Brisebois had guarenteed contract this year and the team option was for next year. Yeah I guess the Habs could buy him out this year and bring him back at a significantly reduced price. Although I think I'd rather see a more physical defenseman brought in

YEah I think Jeff O'neill would probably go to Toronto if all else was the same, but it never hurts to negotiate. Especially when it looks like Montreal could be in a better position to win now and in the future. Toronto has no prospects, there players are old, and with this CBA they won't be able to buy themselves a team.

But its all just speculation anyways. Ihighly doubt the Habs are going to bring any big name players in. I imagine Gainey is gonna want to give Chris Higgins, Alexander Perezhogin ( if he can coax him here from Russia), Marcel Hossa and Tomas Plekanac a shot at making the team.

I'm just excited to see what position the Habs get to draft this year. Please, Oh please let the hockey gods smile favouribly upon them.........

Oh I see. I thought Brisebois had guarenteed contract this year and the team option was for next year. Yeah I guess the Habs could buy him out this year and bring him back at a significantly reduced price. Although I think I'd rather see a more physical defenseman brought in

If we buy out Brisebois, we won't be able to re-sign him.

He just has a team option for an additional year ... if we don't take this team option, we might re-sign him for a reduced price. That's they only way we could re-sign Brisebois.

Though on the other hand, I don't know if it's the same to buy-out a player and to not take a team option? If so, we'll lose him or we'll have to keep him with the big salary for one more year.

There are 2-3 theories...

1. It would be foolish not to use the OUT of his contract, he's scheduled to earn 3.42 Milion bananas. we give him 1M then go on the market sign a better Dman for the same price.

The second theory stems from the first.

2.while this seems logical at first, the same price means 2.42M since we've already given 1M to briser... Now, even if this is a new market, who would accept to play for the habs for 2.42M and is better than Briser.

while it seems to be a good counter argument, it has its flaw, the habs are a couple of milions under the cap with all of their players signed... the 2.42M can be used as a credit to sign a REAL #1 Dman, someone we haven't had since Schneider, Chelios, Desjardins, Robinson all left the habs within 5 years.. so this leads to a 3rd theory which is somewhat implied in the 1st.

3. yup Niedermayer is expensive at somewhere around 6M... but the 2.4M credit makes him look less expensive... we're still under the cap and we have mr. norris himself playing for us... if we can outbid NJ that is.

here niedermayer name can be replaced by the name of your favorite dman

[Edited on 2005/7/22 by alexstream]

Patrice has certainly had his ups and downs, but as others have noted he can move the puck and I like the idea of keeping the last remaining member of the 1993 cup team in the fold at a much reduced salary.