Tis finally official (Breezy)

huzer

So Brisebois is gone... I am a little bit disappointed he's gone. We no longer have a single player left from the 1993 Stanley Cup winning team. And I know Brisebois has had his ups and downs, but frankly, I think it's despicable the way some fans have treated him. In my opinion, you support your team and your players.

That said, I suppose it was just a matter of time. I did think however that Gainey would keep him, after they way he stood up for Brisebois last season.

I read somewhere that there are like 300+ players who are free agents. We'll probably see more player movement than we have ever seen before. Lots of players with big fat contracts will get bought out. I wonder who will end up in Montreal, who will Gainey be able to sign...

(Would it be too much to ask that posters check for existing threads before starting new ones on the same topics? I realize everyone wants to be the one who reports something first, but plesae! It's not difficult. Just click the Today's Posts link that is on the top of the page, and you will see every thread in which someone has posted during the last 24 hours.

Sorry for the little threadjack, I just hate it when there are several threads on the same subject.)

I like this move. I didn't like the way some fans treated him at some games by booing, because personally i like him, even though he did have some times where he struggled.

I believe that by declining the option, we can find a younger, faster player with more grit and we have more spare money for it.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl050723.html

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl050724.html

I don't know if you guys remember, but we had a discussion on whether a team can re-sign a player that team has bought out. Here's the answer:

If no one claims them after 24 hours, the Red Wings can buy out their contracts, making them unrestricted free agents.

Teams are not expected to sign high-priced players off waivers, because they will be unrestricted free agents once they clear, and teams then can spend less to sign them.

The Wings cannot re-sign any players whose contracts they buy out.

Red Wings put Hatcher, Whitney and McCarthy on waivers

Originally posted by simonus

that doesnt answer the question about brisebois.  He didnt have a contract to buyout, he had a team option... the question is whether that is substantially different.

True that. From what I have heard, if an option is declined (either by a team or a player), the player may re-sign for cheaper if both parties agree to that.

So this may not be the last we see of Brisebois after all.

Originally posted by Doktor Kosmos
Originally posted by simonus

that doesnt answer the question about brisebois.  He didnt have a contract to buyout, he had a team option... the question is whether that is substantially different.

True that. From what I have heard, if an option is declined (either by a team or a player), the player may re-sign for cheaper if both parties agree to that.

So this may not be the last we see of Brisebois after all.

hehe, you guys are slow. Havent you been following the millions of Brisebois posts around here over the past few weeks? I should have stickied a "Brisebois info" thread a few weeks ago I think.

We declined his option, we pay him 1 million that "should" count against the salary cap. We did NOT buy him out. We declined the option. We can re-sign him for a lower price.

Its likely that we will re-sign him when you look at our D right now... Unless of course Gainey signs some other UFA D's.

[Edited on 2005-7-25 by puck7x]

You guys should carefully read the articles you post ... *lol* As Jake said, the HABS will be able to re-sign Breezer:

The Montreal native's contract contained a buyout clause if the team option was not exercised. Brisebois, now an unrestricted free agent, is allowed to sign a new deal with Montreal at a lower salary if he chooses.

Bob Gainey will be giving ''un point de presse'' at 5 on RDS.

Double posting the same topic is indeed annoying, please be carefull.

hope we resign him for like 1M or something.

Markov - Souray

Brisebois - Komisarek

Bouillon - Rivet

not that bad

PP

Markov - Souray

Brisebois - Bouillon

Do we need to sign new Dmen?

I mean Markov was one of the best hardhitting Dmen in russia last season. Souray was Big Mean and Gritty in sweden + he got the points, Bouillon dominated in the qualification to the swedish elite league. Breezer had a good year 2003-2004.

Lets get those quality forwards we need instead. (through draft or maybe 1-3 signed players.)

Originally posted by habsfan88

I do not get RDS, can anyone here post briefly what he says on here afterwards?

thanks

Its 5pm, and a golf show is on RDS.

Gainey already had the press conference, and it was more like a media-scrum (it wasnt broadcasted live). I read some recaps of it, Gainey wants to explore the UFA market, and I guess if he cant sign anyone he likes then he might try to bring Brisebois back (if he's still available). Looks like the habs are definitely going to try and sign a UFA D...

I can hardly wait...

Originally posted by alexstream

I just heard BG

They could but will NOT try to sign him before he has looked on the UFA market :bow:

Sad for Briser... but hey, Nidermayer anyone?

I'd be happy with Foote, or Zubov, or Rathje. Much cheaper then Niedmayer, and they could step in to be one of our (if not the best) best D's.

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by alexstream

I just heard BG

They could but will NOT try to sign him before he has looked on the UFA market :bow:

Sad for Briser... but hey, Nidermayer anyone?

I'd be happy with Foote, or Zubov, or Rathje. Much cheaper then Niedmayer, and they could step in to be one of our (if not the best) best D's.

Yeah, Nieds is said to be heading to vanc anyway...

But, besides foote I don't like your choices... would prefer Aucoin, Hamrlik, Hatcher, Gonchar, Zhitnik... or even Rafalski... BTW, wasn't Pronger supposed to be a UFA?

I'm so excited I'm tigling :D

Breezer or a UFA, I don't care. Just give me some hockey news. :ghg:

I kind of hope we keep him for a low price contract. Even if we do, maybe we can still afford another Dman.

I'm talking jibberish.....My excitement is growing every minute.

My wife is going to get pounded tonight! :clap:

Hooray for hockey :bow:

[Edited on 2005/7/25 by Prime Minister Koivu]

I'm disappointed, really. I had hoped to see him stick around but with a lower priced contract (could still happen, I suppose).

Part of that had a 'I hope he can get to play his whole career with Montreal' feel to it. It's a rare thing to see these days and will likely become even rarer. The days of a Steve Yzerman kind of situation are pretty well done, I'm sad to say.

Originally posted by shortcat1

I'm disappointed, really. I had hoped to see him stick around but with a lower priced contract (could still happen, I suppose).

Part of that had a 'I hope he can get to play his whole career with Montreal' feel to it. It's a rare thing to see these days and will likely become even rarer. The days of a Steve Yzerman kind of situation are pretty well done, I'm sad to say.

I agree with the feelings part... but we couldn't realistically keep him, we needed some stability on the dcorp to support the youngsters... Briser needs stability himself, so he can't provide what he doesn't have...