Habs Sign Dandenault 4yrs/7mil

Theberge43

"Utility player", as used to describe Dandenault, is not meant to be a knock in the same way it's used in baseball. In baseball, the utility guy isn't good enough to merit a starting role at a given position, but is flexible enough to play several different ones.

In this case, it's not meant to imply he can't start but rather that he has the speed, scoring touch, and previous experience to move into a forward position if/when it becomes necessary...

Have a look at what TSN says about his pros and cons. I agree with the pros, but I think they're too harsh about his defensive ability. I've watched a lot of Wings games over the past 5 seasons, and he's a huge upgrade defensively over Brisebois. His skating is excellent, and his decision making and passing are very good. He usually makes the right decision with tying up players in the corners or in front of the net, but his size can work against him against the bigger forwards. His offensive ability is not the greatest, but then he's never been given the role of playing on the power play either with the Wings due to their defensive depth and 4th forward on the point style.

This signing also means that Hainsey will likely start the season off as their 7th defenceman, which will keep the pressure off of him right away.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp?pla...457&hubname=DET

Dandenault has played his entire 9-year NHL career with the Detroit Red Wings. He played 616 in Detroit, scoring 48 goals, 101 assists and 149 points. A solid defender, he is +46 in his career.

Dandenault was a standout for Sherbrooke, his hometown, in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. In two season, he scored 54 goals and 106 assists for 160 points.

+46 is incredible over a career. Glad to have him here.

TSN has him reported as making 1.7 million in his first year. Not 3 million.......

Maybe it is progressive?

+46 for the Red Wings. Chris Chelios does that in half a season there. Don't kid yourself about Dandeneault. Basically a body that skates well without a brain to call it's own.

All that Gainey has done so far is to complete the moves that he was working on prior to the walkout. 1. Sign Kovalev after giving up so much for him, and 2. "Trade" Brisebois for Dandeneault. Along the way he "swapped" Jason Ward for Peter Vandermeer...:?-. Still can't figure that one out.

So basically you're looking at the same team that was embarrassed in the playoffs in the spring of 2004, except everyone is a year and a half older.:eyes:

beckham, are you for real?

There's a reason why Dandenault didn't get more icetime. Ever heard of Chris Chelios? Niclas Lidström? Derian Hatcher?

Dandenault is one good player. Have been one of the most important players with the Wings. He's good enough to be the first or second defenceman in Montreal.

beckham, you are ridiculous. Balej and a 2nd rounder too much a price for a world class talent at winger? And embarrased in the playoffs? The only thing the Habs had to be embarrassed about was Ribeiro the fake. The greatest comeback in team history beckham.

Dandy is a better defensive player than Patrice, and a lot cheaper.

Originally posted by ch_nl

beckham, are you for real?

There's a reason why Dandenault didn't get more icetime. Ever heard of Chris Chelios? Niclas Lidström? Derian Hatcher?

Dandenault is one good player. Have been one of the most important players with the Wings. He's good enough to be the first or second defenceman in Montreal.

I agree that he will be expected to fill a top Dman spot on the Habs. He was +46 career, that is huge. Not for one season but overall.

I like this pick alot. Half the price of Breezer and I believe a better player.

Good pick Gainey.

Hatcher was injured most of the year. Players like Jason Wooley, Jiri Fischer and Niklas Kronvall all averaged more minutes per game than Dandeneault in addition to the top four. In terms of playing time per game, Dandeneault was the 8th defenseman for the Wings. He is 29 years old.

TSN scouting report says he has "difficulties grasping the intricacies of playing defence", which is a nice way of saying that after 10 years in the league he is too stupid to have learned the position.

[Edited on 2005/8/3 by beckham]

i think brisebois also really wanted to be a hab for most of his stay... only helps so much.

Although i absolutely love dandenault's enthusiasm (And the fact that he recorded a promo for team990 before his signing was announced... that was wild to hear him give the call letters right as they went to break from the press conference).