Forwards:

Kovalev

Koivu

Zednik

Ryder

Ribeiro

Bulis

Bonk

Who else will be in the opening day line up?

Choose Six.

Hossa

Perrezhogin

Plekanec

Higgins

Begin

Dagenais

Sundstrum

Vandemeer

Other...

Good topic

I'd choose Begin, Hossa, Zhogs, Dags, Higs and Ivanana (as the 13th man).

Pleks is traded to LA for a decent defensive prospect, Sundstrom has just a little injury which keeps him out the whole season (sorry Nikky!), and Vandermeer wins the AHL MVP.

in making a tough decision, a player I like, or someone I feel deserves it, will have to be sent down/traded for picks.

Here are my six:

Begin

Hossa

Pleckanek

Perezhogin

Vandermeer

Latendresse (for 9 games) If he can't cut it on the line with Ribs/Ryder, then send him back to junior. Then bring up Higgins/Sunstrom or Dags depending who is still on the farm.

With the talent depth, these are tough choices. Good to know there are 3 or 4 on the farm that can easily step in.

Figuring that the habs will keep 23 players I would keep seven. Choosing the top six from this group is the kind of decision that made Cj's hair fall out.

Hossa

Perrezhogin

Plekanec

Higgins

Begin

Dagenais

Sundstrum

Any of these players would be picked up by another team but if pressed I would probably send down Higgins. I think he deserves to make the team, but I'm haunted by the thought of Dags going to another team and morphing into a Daze-type scorer and H doesnt need to clear waivers.

First post, but passionate about this topic.

Alright, so Koivu, Kovalev, Bonk, Ribeiro, Ryder, Bulis and Zednik are pretty much cemented into their positions and you might as well throw Begin in there as well on the 4th line somewhere.

Okay, so here's where Julien's job gets difficult. I'd like Hossa on the 2nd line wing, mainly due to his stellar play in pre-season. He's big and he can score and finally seems ready to make the jump consistently. Sorry Dagenais, I love ya, but you're out. Bonk is anchoring the third line center position and I would love to see Bulis break out this year on his left side. While I think Sundstrom MAY be expendable down the road, he is a veteran presence who is an awesome defensive player with offensive upside (with the right linemates).

Now, where does that leave the rest of the prospects? I think Plekanec deserves to be there. Again, he who plays his heart out in pre-season makes the best case. Although it may be 'cheating' his offensive abilities, I think he'd be useful for a stretch on the 4th line left wing, although he could easily be interchanged with Sundstrom and Hossa depending on who is performing and who isn't and could be essential on the PK and PP untis.

Perezhogin.... Very tricky. I love this kid's offensive upside, but he's a scorer/playmaker and while he's had TONS of chances in the pre-season he hasn't lit the lamp (except in shoot-outs). Reminds me of Hossa a couple seasons ago. He's DEFINITELY going to be a mainstay in the Habs lineup but may need a bit more seasoning. He will obviously be an early call-up in event of injuries, etc.

Higgins. Sort of the same story. GREAT player, and I LOVE his energy, multiple chances with little payoff this pre-season (missing the net way too often). Yeah, his two way game is developed, but if he stays in Montreal, his offensive game may take a hit due to few minutes on the top two lines.

And due to Montreal's want to keep an enforcer around, you gotta think Vandermeer is on the 4th line as well. I don't like it, but hey, it's muscle the team needs.

SO! Zednik Koivu Kovalev

Hossa Ribeiro Ryder

Bulis Bonk Sundstrom

Plekanec Begin Vandermeer

Dagenais, 13th forward, throw him in there when we don't dress Vandermeer (As others have said, best 13th forward in the league).... Higgins and Perezhogin, call-ups as needed. Hey, why rush them? Hossa and Plekanec have put in their time on the farm and have most importantly EARNED a spot with their play so far. Higgs and Perez, they'll get there soon enough and may force BG to look for other options with Sundstrom mid-season. And hey, if they stay in Hamilton they'll rip the AHL a new one which may help their offensive consistency - may also add offensive / veteran flair to a farm team 'generally' lacking those characteristics currently and help the games of other prospects, like Kostitsyn, Locke and Milroy.

It seems like 4 rookies could easily crack the line-up this season but I doubt that it will work with so much youth.

Hossa is flying in the pre-season (as he also did with Team Slovakia last season) and Plekanec is also enjoying a very good camp so far.

I really don't want to be Claude Julien but on the other hand, when did we have such a depth? Dmd, hopefully the pre-season isn't just a blink on the radar. :guru:

Whenever I think we all agreed on the line-up another one of these threads pops up. These are my lines.

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa

Plekanec-Bégin-Higgins

Vandermeer, Dagenais and Sundstrom are scratched. They are three different types of players and it's rare that you find a team with those guys outside of the roster. Sundstrom is smart and good defensively, Vandermeer is our back-up enforcer and Dagenais is a young scorer.

On defence I would say Hainsey and Streit sit out.

Rivet-Markov

Souray-Komisarek

Dandenault-Bouillon

which gives us an average unit. Komisarek played well last night and nailed Allison a couple of times. Souray showed that he's not a one-hit wonder. I haven't seen Markov yet but he should be a solid defenceman. Fast, too.

As I said before..."This has got to be the hardest choices the Habs have made in preseason for some time."

Not bad choices there Habinator. I could easily take those as well. Your reasoning sounded great. I guess we'll just have to see.

I think they should send Latendresse down. With the new system in place he could be a UFA by age 25. Maybe play him the minimum games allowed, but develop him even more, while playing with younger tallent. He'll get his moment. There is no doubt about that. He is certainly having a great ride at camp!!!

Isnt 23 the number of players per team ?

If so, 14 of them are usually forward, 7 of them defenses, 2 goally.

From that, this is my starting rooster.

ZKK

RR Dagenais

Bulis, Bonk, Hossa

Higgins, Plecanek, Perezhogin

RESERVISTE : Begin, Vandermeer

I like HABINATOR's rationals behind the starting roster he proposed,...it as plenty of sense.

I have for now a bit of a different take....I gess the remaining pre-saison games will be determinant.....unless BG has already make-up his mind...but I doubt it.

I thing the league IS a new environment.

Veterans might have a tad less relevance this year as everyone is re-learning the game.

The youngs usually adapt quicker and tend not to question but to follow the guideline...and this year coaches guideline will be importand to follow by everyone...and the sooner the better....its an irony that young could accelerate the veteran's learning curve this year...and Jarvis and Julien know their youngs too.

This is what make me feel confortable about having 4 forward prospects getting in there at once.

The main reason to do so is my belief that OFFENSE BEING YOUR BEST DEFENSE is here with us right now.

Thats why Dagenais should start with Ribeiro and that Hossa should joins BonK and Bulis and so as to jump-start the offensive aspect of that third line.

Lets face it, there is something exciting about seing a full line made up of rookie and the fourth line is the only one in which it can happen.

2 way-play is already H and P trademarck so nothing to fear there.

Their combined offensive know how will contribute immediatly and along with their foot speed should in many instances provoque much more penaltys than an ''agitator type'' could ever acheived.

Of course for that to make any sense, Begin and Vandermeer would be great to use whenever a muscle team will be in town.

To Bulis and Bonk one could had easilly Higgin, Plecanek, Begin to the list of players killing penaltys.

This year's crop make me think that letting go of Sundstrom is not the most conservative option but again the hochey season we are about to witness is everything but conservative.

Originally posted by PB

Isnt 23 the number of players per team ?

If so, 14 of them are usually forward, 7 of them defenses, 2 goally.

Yup although it seems some teams will be carrying fewer this season, like 21. My guess however is we'll have 23 for the first part of the season.

Remember also that Dandenault can play on the wing in a pinch, does anyone know if Julien has experimented with this during camp? I know we are deeper up front and thin on defence, but this has to be something Julien should look at when he plans for contingencies such as injuries -- we could keep eight defencemen for awhile until the Streit/Hainsey/Benoit decision is made.

Second set of cuts should be announced in a few hours and we'll know more then.

:ghg:

A nice article on this suject by Pat Hickey of the Gazette

Plekanec catches coach's eye

Czech turns heads in Canadiens camp

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette

Monday, September 26, 2005

The new-look National Hockey League will feature a new-look version of the Canadiens and coach Claude Julien's biggest problem will be to find spots for all the new faces on his roster.

One player whose stock has risen since the start of camp is Tomas Plekanec, 22, a Czech who has come in under the radar despite the fact that (a) he was the Hamilton Bulldogs' leading scorer last season and (B) he was the No. 1 star in the American Hockey League All-Star Game.

While Guillaume Latendresse, 18, has been grabbing headlines, the betting is he will be back in Drummondville next week and Plekanec will be among the newcomers in the Canadiens lineup.

Plekanec helped his cause in the Habs' 3-2 exhibition win over the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday at the Bell Centre. He scored the winning goal, but that was only part of his contribution.

Plekanec was on the ice for 20:46, playing a regular shift as well as logging time on the power-play and penalty-killing units. His versatility is a major plus during a season in which special teams could be the deciding factor in many games.

With the players are still adjusting to the league's crackdown on obstruction penalties, more infractions are being called and Julien said that means changes in the way coaches approach the game.

"With so many penalties, we'll have to look at putting together a third power-play unit and a fourth set of forwards on the PK so that we can balance out the playing time," Julien said after Dave Jackson and Chris Rooney handed out 22 penalties Saturday. All five goals in the game were scored on the power play.

Like the other youngsters in camp, Plekanec is excited about the opportunities this season.

"There are lots of spots open and I hope I get one of them," said Plekanec, who has three goals and two assists in three exhibitions. "I think this is the best chance for the young players."

Julien said Plekanec's performance hasn't been a surprise.

"We know what he's capable of doing. I coached him one season in Hamilton and (assistant coach) Doug Jarvis coached him for two years. And I saw him play quite a bit last season," he said.

Plekanec said he felt comfortable playing with Chris Higgins, who was named the second star behind Plekanec Saturday.

"We've played a lot the past two seasons and we're comfortable together," Plekanec said.

Plekanec, Higgins, Marcel Hossa and Alexander Perezhogin have played well in training camp and, if there's spot reserved for resident tough guy Pete Vandermeer, the four rookies are battling for three jobs. There could be room for all four, but that would mean beating out a veteran like, perhaps, Pierre Dagenais.

There also might be an additional opening if Michael Ryder's sore ankle continues to bother him. He hasn't practised for more than a week. Latendresse? He'll probably get another start to convince the coaches and brass that he deserves to stay, but it looks like he's heading back to junior.

Julien gave his team the day off yesterday.

"I just felt it was time," he said. "We've been on the ice for 10 days straight and we're starting to see some strains and muscle pulls, the kind of injuries you see with fatigue."

Julien said he planned the latest round of cuts before tomorrow's first of two exhibitions against their Northeast Division rival Bruins. The Canadiens have 37 players and would like to trim the roster to 28 before they play their second game against Boston Wednesday in Moncton.

The Habs camp will move to Mont Tremblant Thursday before the preseason ends with games against the Sens Saturday at

Ottawa and Sunday in Montreal.

well since ryder will probably miss the opening game, I see perezhogin play with ribs and dags

hossa on the 3rd

plekanec, higgins and bégin on the 4th

perezhogin is likely the on to be sent down when ryder comes back.

however, I don't rule out a trade involving zednik and/or sundstrom in order to make room upfront ant to acquire a quality D-man

Originally posted by Brett38

Lets say these players are on the team:

Forwards:

Kovalev

Koivu

Zednik

Ryder

Ribeiro

Bulis

Bonk

Who else will be in the opening day line up?

Choose Six.

Hossa

Perrezhogin

Plekanec

Higgins

Begin

Dagenais

Sundstrum

Vandemeer

Other...

Hossa

Perrezhogin

Plekanec

Begin

Dagenais

Sundstrum

*Vandemeer would have him as part of 23 player roster but not playing every night, going between him and Pleks.

I'd love to replace Sundstrom and Dagenais with Higgins and Perrezhogin, but it just won't happen for a while...