possible Dman to acquire in trade

Le démon brun

Who could be the number 1 or number 2 Dman the habs could trade for in order to have a solid defense?

The trade should be realistic (in considering the salary cap, the rosters, the trade itself, division rivalries, etc.)

1) Tom poty: the rangers have very little offense, we have lots of it. They have Malik and Kasparaitis. They are very close to the cap

2) Nick Boynton: Boston are'nt signing him. They might not have the money. As of october 1, the habs could make him an offer he cant refuse, only have to give a second round draft pick

3) Mathias Ohlund: Vancouver has 2 number 1 Dman. No team can afford that in the new NHL. they're in the other conference.

4) Wade Redden: Ottawa has 2 number 1 Dman. No team can afford that in the new NHL. they're in our division:wall:

Who else is out there? I really think a top Dman would make us one of the top 8 teams in the league:/)

[Edited on 2005/9/28 by Le démon brun]

[Edited on 2005/9/28 by Le démon brun]

Couldn't agree with you more. Phoenix has two similar producers in Morris and Mara, with Tanabe a worthy #2 maybe they'd be willing to deal Morris seeing how he's they're second highest paid player.

I think unless we want to throw a really high pick the other way or give up some of our blue chippers we might have to settle for someone less, in the ballpark of Chris Phillips. Also, San Jose still has a trio of #1's. Any of Stuart, Hannan or McLaren would work just fine, not sure they could be had at a reasonable price though

I disagree. I think the better plan is to wait and see how all of the young guys-- on offense and defense-- produce while playing regularly. Near mid-season, we'll have a better idea of what the team needs and struggling teams that are near the cap will be looking to dump salary.

I dont think Bob is going to rush to trade a prospect that might come back to haunt us

I agree.

But Chris Chelios has also crossed my mind. Detroit is close to the cap but they only have six wingers. And then I've counted Jason Williams as a winger. But they're fat at defence with 9 defenceman.

Niclas Lidström is untouchable and so is Jiri Fischer. Niclas Kronwall was elected AHLs best defenceman and Swedens best defenceman in the last world championship. Mathieu Schneider has a hefty salary and won't find a taker. And then they have Chelios, Delmore, Lilja and Rivers. If Chelios is in their third pairings theu just might want to trade for a winger and Chelios could end his career where it once started.

New Jersey has to trade another player. Colin White catches my eye but I wonder if the Devils would let him go?

And finaly we have Witt in Washington who wanted a trade.

Ch_nl

I agree that if Bob was to make a trade that Colin White would be one of the better options--as I stated in a previous thread that was very similar to this one---

Anyway, Chelios would bring veteran Savvy, a mean- strean and a do-anything-to win attitude that could inspire our young guys, but do we really want a 42-year-old CC taking the spot of one of our prospects??

If we were closer to contending for the Cup then yes

Who knows what surprizes the trade deadline might bring.!:hlogo:

Originally posted by PMAC

I disagree. I think the better plan is to wait and see how all of the young guys-- on offense and defense-- produce while playing regularly. Near mid-season, we'll have a better idea of what the team needs and struggling teams that are near the cap will be looking to dump salary.

I dont think Bob is going to rush to trade a prospect that might come back to haunt us

Got to agree with you based on what Gainey said earlier (though I understand that things can change) and my hope that Montreal will take the time to see how things go with their young ones this year.

There's no need for the Canadiens to shoot, at all costs, for the Stanley Cup this year. Patience and the growth of the young up-and-comers will very likely give more long-term solid results.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Well... The Habs doesn't really have any top defence prospects while we maybe have one or two to many up front.

Plekanec will make the team. Chris Higgins is ready. Perezhogin should be ready even if he didn't have a great last game and Hossa is ready. Even Latendresse could crack the lineup! But I think he will be sent back just to spare him from being a UFA at 25. Right now Hainsey is our sixth defenceman and Streit and Boullion are seventh. That's our weak spot.

Im not sure Hossa will make it. It's just a feeling I have. I feel he will make a "Czerkawski"... But on the other hand, I gave up on Ribeiro way to early.

Chris Chelios has one or two seasons left in the NHL. The leadership and attitude could give this team a lot. Fact is that Craig Rivet is the player with most routine since Brisebois left.

And now when we have all this talent we could use a experienced leader like Chelios. And about Montreal being a contender... If you could add any player at all whom would you add and who would you trade? I can't think of anything other than bringing in a top defenceman.

First line with Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev. A true playmaking center. A skilled Russian Superstar and a productive Slovakian Sniper. Zednik pay is about 2 million. I wouldn't trade him for anything. Not Koivu and not Kovalev for anything.

Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder

Dagenais scores goal for a leauge minimum. If he doesn't produce we have a lot of options. Hossa, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins. Ribeiro was the point leader and has great chemistry with Dagenais. Ryder was runner-up for Calder and a true goal scorer. Brad Richards? Who?

Sundström-Bonk-Bulis. My "Selke-line". If things work out this could be all the difference in the world. Im sure our top two lines will produce but if this line work out we have the top defensive line the leauge. And both Bulis and Bonk can score and we all know what a healthy Sundström can do. Just think of whom served Gretzky in New York.

And finaly we have Begin. A fan favourite. I love him and I don't get why Vandermeer should play with him. I don't think that enforcers will be as usable as it once was. Put prospects on this line and land us a top defenceman!

Souray-Komisarek. Master and Padawan.

Markov-CHELIOS. Shy scorer and leader.

Dandenault-Rivet. All around and Mr Habs

Boullion. The perfect seventh.

Again, I'm with shortcat on this one...I love Chelios, but, despite his grit, he's gonna have challenges with the speed of the game this year (as will Rivet). From what I understand, neither Streit nor Hainsey have really stood out thusfar. To me, that doesn't mean anything...Hainsey's got a one way, let him play...if he doesn't work out his age still lends himself for dealing to another team after the new year...especially as teams try to move higher salaried players...with the cap, you may see a glut of good talent as the deadline nears...that's where Gainey earns his stripes and makes a steal of a trade....It's foolhardy to deal young players (especially d-men) until your sure what you're give up....

Long time listener, first time caller.

I'd start the season with the D as is, BG never rushes into anything anyways. If anyone was to go I'd package Ribs and even Ryder for trade bait. We only need one undersized centre on this team (I vividly remember LeCavalier tossing Ribeiro around like a bag of laundry in that playoff series). Don't forget Bulis and Hossa can both slide into the middle no probs, and Perezhogin/Latendresse will make Ryder a distant memory in two years.

Bulis is perfect trade bait. Don't wanna give up on Hossa/Plekanec. Hainsey saved his butt with a goal last night.

Maybe Washington would want Bulis back for Witt.

Witt brings a strong physical presence that the Habs D is lacking. Plus he can pound the crap outta anyone, so their would be no need to carry a guy like Vandermeer.

We don't need another d-man we are great how we are. Why change r team when r team looks good already and plus lets see how r team does in the regular season before we judge how they do. But if we go for a d-man i think we should try and get Gauthier, Denis he would be perfect nobody would be in front of jose if we had him and souray and komi and maybe rivet and Dandenault we have a good group of guy back there markov is a great player too.

I wouln't trade Bulis at all. He is a great 2 way player that should also have a very good offensive year with Bonk. He brings a lot to this team. Heck, I'd trade any of Zednick, Ribs, Ryder, Dags, Sundstrom or Begin of the veteran forwards before Bulis. I'd qualify Bulis as one of the core players of the team and I wouln't mess with the core.

Originally posted by Rooster

I wouln't trade Bulis at all. He is a great 2 way player that should also have a very good offensive year with Bonk. He brings a lot to this team. Heck, I'd trade any of Zednick, Ribs, Ryder, Dags, Sundstrom or Begin of the veteran forwards before Bulis. I'd qualify Bulis as one of the core players of the team and I wouln't mess with the core.

It's not that we don't like Bulis. He's awesome on the 3rd line. But he is certainly one of the player we could get the most of in return, and a player we could replace more easilly (lets say a guy like Plekanec).

If we can get a defenseman like Witt, it would be a huge upgrade. We have cool dmen but we need real solid ones, especially in our division. Witt is the kind of guy we need, someone who can stand on his feet, very solid in the defensive zone and can throw his body around as well.

If we want to get an interesting player, we have to give! And Bulis has possibly a good value, especially after his good year in Pardupice. And since Latendresse might make the team (looks like, doesn't it??!!! ), someone has to go. You won't get a solid dman for Sundstrom. Forget it.

I like the combo of size and speed avalaible on our regulard.

Souray-Dandeneault

Markow-Komisarek

Rivet-Bouillon

So, the 7th should at least be descent if any of them get injured and ideally as the potentiel to become better than those regulard. Hansey fit the bill, and could be lost if not used this year...let him have it.

Streit as a two way contract and could fine tune his play in America again and still has a future with the team.

Boston's Boynton by the way will only be availlable if Boston doesnt match an outside offer and if the team compensate them with two consequtive first round draft piks.

Originally posted by sakiqc

It's not that we don't like Bulis. He's awesome on the 3rd line. But he is certainly one of the player we could get the most of in return, and a player we could replace more easilly (lets say a guy like Plekanec).

If we can get a defenseman like Witt, it would be a huge upgrade. We have cool dmen but we need real solid ones, especially in our division. Witt is the kind of guy we need, someone who can stand on his feet, very solid in the defensive zone and can throw his body around as well.

If we want to get an interesting player, we have to give! And Bulis has possibly a good value, especially after his good year in Pardupice. And since Latendresse might make the team (looks like, doesn't it??!!! ), someone has to go. You won't get a solid dman for Sundstrom. Forget it.

I see your point. It is hard to gauge what is asked as we are not privy to negotiations. Think a Zednick, Ribs or Ryder (with a Sundstrom possibly thrown in if the team is looking to shore up it's third line) is very good bait (especially for a team with little depth). Think either of those players can be more easily replaced with the habs and bring less of the little things that make a team great. It's not that I wouln't trade Bulis, it's just that he's not one I would put on the table lightly. The offer would have to be sweet. Anyway, he looks set for a good year which will make his stock go up so he shouln't be dealt now in any event.

[Edited on 2005/9/28 by Rooster]

[Edited on 2005/9/28 by Rooster]

Not sold on Rivet or Bouillon.

Are they good? 10,000 times better than I could ever be so I would never bad mouth them. We have a good pair in Souray and Markov. After that it is all question marks. Is Hainsey the answer, still hard to tell as he shows flashes of great play and then rookie mistakes.

I would hate to trade Bullis as he is providing an interesting offensive aspect to the game, which I never really noticed before. He seems to be very confident in the other teams zone and willing o shoot the puck. Now having said this, if we can get a bonified stud defenseman for him I say we have to make the trade. We cannot go through the entire season and hope Jose can stop 45-50 shots a night and play 70 games. It would wear him out.

Witt out of Washington would be good; Morris on the other hand mentioned in this thread is way too soft which is why Colorado traded him.:hockey:

DO NOT TRADE BULIS!!! (Or I'll have to change my name!)

I promise you he'll be worth triple after the end of this season. And he's not going anywhere!

I don't think it would be a good idea to get Kyle McLaren like has been suggested. Not only would he be booed heavily by the fans but it would cause problems to Zednik.

We all remember his assault on him.

well... mr. marchmant has been cut from leafs training camp... who wants to pick up toronto's leftovers? (not I)...

C'mon... they swallowed chad kilger and dougie gilmour's bum leg... its the least we could do. Wouldn't be neighbourly otherwise.

wow, if thats true as of October 1st, that we can make Boynton a contract offer and only have to give up 2nd rounder i'd say go for it!!!! He's a #1 D-man and we could offer him 2- 2.5 mill and he would prolly except.

I do believe in waiting and giving the youth time to shine but Boynton is still pretty young and he would definetly give our defence a shot in the arm!!!!

Originally posted by simonus

well... mr. marchmant has been cut from leafs training camp... who wants to pick up toronto's leftovers? (not I)...

C'mon... they swallowed chad kilger and dougie gilmour's bum leg... its the least we could do. Wouldn't be neighbourly otherwise.

He said he would retire if Toronto let him go. He doesn't want to go anywhere else. Looks like his 16 year NHL career is over.

www.tsn.ca

Originally posted by Funk Doc

wow, if thats true as of October 1st, that we can make Boynton a contract offer and only have to give up 2nd rounder i'd say go for it!!!! He's a #1 D-man and we could offer him 2- 2.5 mill and he would prolly except.

I do believe in waiting and giving the youth time to shine but Boynton is still pretty young and he would definetly give our defence a shot in the arm!!!!

2nd rounder?

Go for it. He's only 26 right?

He's worth at least 2-2.5 million!!!!

Here is the compensation table for RFA:

OFFER COMPENSATION

$551,076 or below None

Over $551,076 - $757,729 Third-round choice

Over $757,729 - $895,498 Second-round choice

Over $895,498 - $1,102,152 First-round choice

Over $1,102,152 - $1,377,689 First-and third-round choices

Over $1,377,689 - $1,653,227 First-and second-round choices

Over $1,653,227 - $1,928,765 Two first-round choices

Over $1,928,765 - $2,342,071 Two first-round and one second-round choice

Over $2,342,071 Three first-round choices

Each additional $1,377,689 One additional first-

round choice to a maximum of five

So Boynton would be at least two 1st round AND a 2nd round. and remember, these would be going to the Bruins!

I'm sorry, I just don't buy the arguement that the habs don't have a #1 defenceman....Souray is huge, plays physical, has a rocket of a shot...all he's missing is the big salary. Also, you all seem to forget that Markov has yet to hit his stride...he was apparently great in Russia last year, and I think he's good for 50-60 points if he stays healthy. Don't listen to the leaf lovers at TSN when they say we're too small at forward and don't have the defence. Komisarik may become the big bruising star defensman we've been looking for for years. I think Boullion is fine as #6. So we'll have, in my opinion, as solid a defense as most NHL teams this year, without trading away our future.