Petr Sykora - habs uniform?

habsfan88

Petr Sykora is being shopped by the ducks according to

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com

this site has very accurate rumors and they arent bullcrap.

Check sykora's career stats are impressive but he has struggled this year. i think we could trade for him and ahve sykora on our second line with ribeiro and ryder and i think he would be a great addition...

whats your take?

[Edited on 04/07/1989 by habsfan88]

Sykora is one of the slowest players in the nhl...

Just a reminder..good stats but struggling this year translates roughly to: Was a big guy who could shake off the interference and stand in front of the net but has little to offer in terms of skill or speed.

He should play for the goof troopin leafs

Depends on his contact, and who we'd have to give up. But if someone were to give me Sykora for free, I'd take him. He knows how to play hockey. He's responsible enough defensively (Jacques Lemaire taught him well in Jersey) and he's a proven offensive player. He has a bullet for a shot. I think he used to play the point on the PP in Jersey, if we chose to go that route.

We don't have to check Sykora's career stats to know how good he is. He's a great player and I remember when he used to be a key factor in the Devils's stint as contenders for several straight years. I'm not sure of his salary but I doubt we can afford him. Besides, the rookies are getting low enough ice time as it is.

Yesterdays news type of player, 5 points this season???... We would probably get fleeced trying to get him. Nothing good is ever free.

When I first heard of this I thought about him in Montreal, but not so sure if he would make any difference. If he comes to Montreal for say a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, sure give it a shot. Keep in mind I believe he is making $2.1Million per season.

i remember watching the year sykora was drafted. winnipeg picked shane doan right before us and i was really happy because all the rumors suggested we wanted doan and i wanted either kyle mclaren, radek dvorak or petr sykora (in that order). we picked terry ryan. i think mclaren and dvorak went right after and jarome iginla something like 11th. sykora slipped to maybe 17th or something. anyway, sorry if i bored anyone or my memory is messed up but thats how i remember it. haha.

i don't think we need skyora here right now and don't want to waste the cap room.

I also thought about Gainey getting Sykora and putting him alongside Ribeiro and Ryder. If Burke has announced that he's available, it wouldn't take a whole lot to get him, a mid-round draft pick should be more than enough, maybe even Hainsey if he's no longer in their plans.

Originally posted by Mont Royale

kaos said 'No', so I guess that's the end of that!

yup

(I mean yup I agree) no trades or messing with chemistry now, our kids are coming along well.

A slow player on Ribeiro and Ryder's line. Um, not what I call a great idea. ;)

And can we please stop trying to include Hainsey in trade negotiations? Every team in hockey had a chance to get him for the wonderful price of FREE and they all passed. :D

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Yesterdays news type of player, 5 points this season???...  We would probably get fleeced trying to get him.  Nothing good is ever free.  

Just for sake of the argument, we did get Begin for free back in the day and that worked out just fine. Sorry, couldn't resist...... ;)

But yeah, NO to Sykora, and honestly unless we have a chance to land a legit 1st line power forward-type winger (i guess that one is on everyone's Christmas list) or a mobile, stud D, NO to trades in general. I think our rookies have as much talent and more upside than just about anyone we can hope to bring in without gutting the team. I can live with a few losses due to playing youth, because we'll be that much better come playoff time.

I am all for switching and changing up or calling up anyone anywhere... but Within! the only immigrating player welcome from abroad is a DMAN a 1st or 2nd... nothing else will suffice!!

to tell the truth, I'd try to acquire Sturm over Sykora.

a solid LW who's underachieving (strangely enough) on the SJ Sharks whose coach, like that of the NYI, thinks it's best to keep players on their toes by changing lines between games, and often during.

not too old, 27, with great speed and puck control, perfect wing to compliment Ribeiro and Ryder.

A bit like Zednik, actually, without the lower body strength and concussion history. $2 million a year is affordable, and solidifies our top 2 lines.

Sure, it takes time away from Higgins, Perezhogin and Plekanec, but if they're not scoring at the same pace as Crosby, then they don't deserve to be here.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon
Originally posted by Mont Royale

kaos said 'No', so I guess that's the end of that!

yup

(I mean yup I agree) no trades or messing with chemistry now, our kids are coming along well.

And I thought my two-worders were legitimate posts... :lol:

What was I thinking? I could have split them and gotten two posts out of it. :D I'd be somewhere around a half-million now. :lol::D:lol::D:lol:

You'd better get Sykora because you couldn't afford me and my salary, being an unrestricted free-agent at 55 years of age, 5' 10" & 175 lbs. :king:

[Edited on 2005/11/25 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by shortcat1

And I thought my two-worders were legitimate posts... :lol:  

What was I thinking? I could have split them and gotten two posts out of it. :D  I'd be somewhere around a half-million now. :lol::D:lol::D:lol:

You'd better get Sykora because you couldn't afford me and my salary, being an unrestricted free-agent at 55 years of age, 5' 10" & 175 lbs.   :king:

[Edited on 2005/11/25 by shortcat1]

Question for you, old-timer.... was Georges Vezina really all that? ;)

I cant believe my eyes, Aussie posse.

I detected for sarcasm.. didnt find any..

Did you just say that our young guns dont deserve to be here if they are not scoring at the same pace as crosby?

First of all he gets more ice time than the three of them put together. Secondly two of our guys ( higgins especially) are solid TWO-Way players used extensively on the PK. And Thirdly if all our rookies had to be that good to "deserve" to be here then we might as well close the farm and trade away all our draft picks for veterans and geritol like the leafs.

Your lack of understanding how the game works cheapens us all.

I cant believe my eyes, Aussie posse.

I detected for sarcasm.. didnt find any..

Did you just say that our young guns dont deserve to be here if they are not scoring at the same pace as crosby?

First of all he gets more ice time than the three of them put together. Secondly two of our guys ( higgins especially) are solid TWO-Way players used extensively on the PK. And Thirdly if all our rookies had to be that good to "deserve" to be here then we might as well close the farm and trade away all our draft picks for veterans and geritol like the leafs.

Your lack of understanding how the game works cheapens us all.