O' Bonk, Where Art Thou?

Leafs Suck

I posted in a different thread that since he had such a terrible season that it is my belief that he wil turn into a playoff player. Bonk could be huge in a series against the Sens

Okay, he was a little late showing up, but earned half his salary for the season in the last 3 games. Keep it up, 10 goal season, I'll take it, especially adding a few playoff goals to those numbers. We may all be glad yet that we traded for this guy.

Given Huet's play alone, I'm already glad that Bob made the Bonk deal. I wonder if, in a few seasons, people will refer to it as the Huet trade? :P

I agree but it wasn't long ago that every second member of this board was crying foul. They all wanted Garon back and Gainey flogged. Now it was a great trade also note the play of Murray vs Hossa of late. Who's the man? Oh, but for now you shall all cry over the Theo trade as Dave A. hasn't adjusted. Well aren't we a wise bunch of arm chair GMs, not.

I agree but it wasn't long ago that every second member of this board was crying foul. They all wanted Garon back and Gainey flogged. Now it was a great trade also note the play of Murray vs Hossa of late. Who's the man? Oh, but for now you shall all cry over the Theo trade as Dave A. hasn't adjusted. Well aren't we a wise bunch of arm chair GMs, not.
Well put, couldn't agree with you more. It's so funny how the throng wants to throw Abbi out with the trash after only 3 games.

Ill tell you what. Pierre McGuire says that Bonk can only succeed against a slower team. He might be right. He did well against the leafs. But how would he do against the Sens?

I'm not as big a McGuire hater as some on the board, but I'll say that I hope he is wrong on this count...

I could definitely agree that Bonk will be less offensively effective against more mobile teams, but lets see how he rounds in to form in the coming weeks.

the sens are, of course, the master test...

but that being said the pens ice a pretty quick team (crappy, but quick) and bonk kept up there. The Islanders have some legs in the lineup, so this can be an intermediate test. It is kinda nice that MTL gets sort of a step up schedule, moving from the Leafs to the Pens to the Islanders, etc... We have four games now to really cement our position and get our players into form and confident heading into the meaty end portion of the season. Get Bonk some points and some confortable +/- differential over the next week and that should do well for him defining his position on the team for when the big boys start coming around.

Ill tell you what. Pierre McGuire says that Bonk can only succeed against a slower team. He might be right. He did well against the leafs. But how would he do against the Sens?

Does that mean that small guys like Koivu, Begin, Bulis and Bouillon can't succeed against bigger teams like Philidelphia and Toronto? Oh wait, the Habbers smoked the leafs and I believe took the series against Philly things year.

As long as Bonk knows his game and plays it, and Gainey doesn't make him a 1st line Center, Bonk will be alright

Q: O'Bonk, where art thou?

A: On the scoresheet

I hate to rain on the parade but this guy will always break your heart. I have watched him in Ottawa since he has been in the league. He is very good in the corners, 50% centreman and adequate penalty killer. But he seems to lack some kind of inner drive and spirit. Despite Begin and Bonk's improved play we are still 23rd in the league in the PK. This is a massive problem.

Edited by Nilan25

I hate to rain on the parade but this guy will always break your heart. I have watched him in Ottawa since he has been in the league. He is very good in the corners, 50% centreman and adequate penalty killer. But he seems to lack some kind of inner drive and spirit. Despite Begin and Bonk's improved play we are still 23rd in the league in the PK. This is a massive problem.

Unfortunaltey Montreal could have the top penalty killing unit for the rest of the year and those numbers (23rd PK) would not get much better. Simple statistics. They may be able to climb to 20th but thats a stretch as well.

As long as there improving, thats all we need to be concered about.

That pass to Begin last night in the Isles game from behind the net was the sweetest I've seen in years, by anyone. Too bad that Begin couldn't put it home.

Yeah and thats the problemw ith having guys like Begin and Bulis on this line. They guys can't finish at all. Having said that I don't expect Begin to finish plays, and don't wanna see him removed from it. But maybe a guy like Zednik could finish off a few more plays and add some offence from this line, while not surrending much defensively.

I wouldn't say his 17 goals are much better. Zednik has 14 and in 5 less games. As well Zednik was still suffereing from groin problems which affected his. Had he been healthy, he'd easily have 20, and maybe closer to 25. Koivu and Kovalev being hurt didn't help him much either.

So if your being objective, is Koivu's seasona bad one considering he hasn't score in 21 games? No

If your going to look at his season, you have to consider the fact that he played through an injury and wasn't a 100%. Thats being objective. Not just looking and seeing that he has't scored enough goals

Koivu isnt a goalscorer. Richard Zednik sure is. Koivu isn't going to score 70+pts although it's true that he can. But he has still proved that he's the top centre in Montreal.

Zednik on the other hand had basically fallen out of the top six forwards with Perezhogin and Bulis and whoever moving up, obviously what they're looking for is balanced lines, but he's lost whatever chance he had as being a top line player.

What I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of things that can be used as excuses, but when it comes down to it, based on what Zednik's done in past years for Montreal, there's no question he's had a bad one. Not necessarily because of points alone, but because he can no longer be relied on to put the puck in the net.

Koivu isnt a goalscorer. Richard Zednik sure is. Koivu isn't going to score 70+pts although it's true that he can. But he has still proved that he's the top centre in Montreal.

Zednik on the other hand had basically fallen out of the top six forwards with Perezhogin and Bulis and whoever moving up, obviously what they're looking for is balanced lines, but he's lost whatever chance he had as being a top line player.

What I'm trying to say is that there are a lot of things that can be used as excuses, but when it comes down to it, based on what Zednik's done in past years for Montreal, there's no question he's had a bad one. Not necessarily because of points alone, but because he can no longer be relied on to put the puck in the net.

Well I'll betcha come the playoffs Zednik will be playing on the first line, and be one of the top 3 goal scorers for Montreal. This guy is jsut starting to find his game, and he'll have 20 goals by the end of the season, which I am more than satifisfied with.

Given Huet's play alone, I'm already glad that Bob made the Bonk deal. I wonder if, in a few seasons, people will refer to it as the Huet trade? :P

We gave up Jose "freakin" Theodore for David Aebischer. I think its safe to say "the Huet trade".

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a clip where Ed Jovanovski and Mr. Bonkers were nervously awaiting the first round pick from Florida

ANd Radek was showcasing a Prime example of a Monster Mullet! HOLLY MOLLY!! anyone have a pic to show? for now I can only find pics of a Young MR. Bonkers in Senator gear

Bonk_Radek.jpg

Edited by CoRvInA