The Cristobal Huet Thread

mathieug

Plain and simple: Huet is the man.

The second worst mistake of your life would be to bet against him. The first would be to tell him about the bet before the game.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1996 I practised with a goaltender from the Calgary Flames organisation. A Certain Mr. Roloson. A career minor leaguer.

-One awesome goalie!

Who? Rolston

-No, Roloson. Dwayne Roloson.

Yeah sure, haha.

Roloson shared the goaltending duties with Trevor Kidd and Rick Tabaracci in Calgary. In 1998 he signed as a free agent with the Sabres. Hasek was the #1 goalie in Buffalo. At the start of the 1999 playoff matchup Buffalo-Toronto Hasek got injured. The career backup, that funny guy, Roloson, backed-up by a twenty year old got the start in goal against his hometown Torono Maple Leafs. His first career NHL playoff game. Untested.

Boy, was that scary. I still have the tape of that game. Even I could see he was a little nervous. He wins his first career NHL playoff game.

After a short stint in Buffalo (32GP/7 wins) he wins the Baz Bastien Memorial Trophy (AHL-Best Goaltender) & AHL-First All-Star Team after a brilliant season 2000-01 in Worcester (52GP/32 wins/.929Sv%).

In 2001 the Minnesota Wild sign Roloson as an unrestricted free agent.

The rest you know.

Who? Rolston

-No, Roloson. Dwayne Roloson. ;)

And Roloson, as far as I'm concerned, is still a backup goalie. Sharing goaltending duties like he does with Manny Fernandez is NOT being a number one goalie. When you go through a slump, you have someone to take over while you get back on track. Real number ones don't have that luxury; they have to get right back in there, and find a way to perform.

Neither Fernandez nor Roloson have proven that yet...

I think with Jeff Hackett you have to keep the teams he played for in perspective. Yeah, he had an atrocious win/loss record, but he played for absolutely horrendous teams in San Jose, Chicago and Montreal.

Don't forget that he was the reason that Chicago cut loose Ed Belfour, dealt the Eagle to San Jose at the deadline, etc.

And you might as well speak of his play in the past tense since he retired due to vertigo symptoms. I believe he's coaching at an Ontario university now.

I think with Jeff Hackett you have to keep the teams he played for in perspective. Yeah, he had an atrocious win/loss record, but he played for absolutely horrendous teams in San Jose, Chicago and Montreal.

Don't forget that he was the reason that Chicago cut loose Ed Belfour, dealt the Eagle to San Jose at the deadline, etc.

And you might as well speak of his play in the past tense since he retired due to vertigo symptoms. I believe he's coaching at an Ontario university now.

True, but all goalies I mentionned succeeded either immediately after Hacket left or when he was still on the team. Granted that San Jose added Makarov, Larionov, and Dahlen the seson Irbe became number 1, but how many games did he steal all by himself? Theodore also clearly outplayed him a few years ago. And when Hackett had a legitimate chance to play on a contender in Philly, he choked, played horribly, and Esche easily took his job.

Yes, he did a decent job for a few season in Chicago in Montreal, but he never had any pressure; none of these teams ever had a chance, and expectations were very low.

Will Huet be the Habs starter next year if he leads them to the playoffs and plays well in the first round or further win or loose???

And if he is the #1 guy Gainey would have to trade Theo correct?

Edited by JMMR

True, but all goalies I mentionned succeeded either immediately after Hacket left or when he was still on the team. Granted that San Jose added Makarov, Larionov, and Dahlen the seson Irbe became number 1, but how many games did he steal all by himself? Theodore also clearly outplayed him a few years ago. And when Hackett had a legitimate chance to play on a contender in Philly, he choked, played horribly, and Esche easily took his job.

Yes, he did a decent job for a few season in Chicago in Montreal, but he never had any pressure; none of these teams ever had a chance, and expectations were very low.

Wasn't this "choking' mostly a result of developing vertigo symptoms?

TOO MANY GOALIES OUT THERE!!! Huet will stay again if he gets a contract under 3Mil if more thne he's trade bait (my theory is stick with two descent goalies not Just one! until the teams realize this there will be too many golaies in the market ( as is the case now) which makes me dount we lose any of our now contracted Netminders! Danis included!

Edited by CoRvInA

As for Osgood, I'm not convinced he can lead the Wings that far either, but we'll have to see. He and Huet are very similar in my opinion; great backups but do they have more in them? That remains to be seen...

I don't know if I am mistaken but does Osgood not have 2 cup rings as a starter for the redwings???

I don't know if I am mistaken but does Osgood not have 2 cup rings as a starter for the redwings???

He meant Legace.

Oops... sorry, I did mean Manny Legace. With that said, even Pat Jablonski could have a Cup with the Wings back then. He didn't didn't exactly look like a solid, reliable goaltender for the Islanders or the Blues.

actually CBS is giving the Habs a lot of love today.

Alex Kovalev is the feature RW on their player rankings...

Guess Who? American Woman. :P

If Huet continues like this he may be a candidate for the heart or vezina. Remind you of anyone? :rolleyes:

Speaking of Theo, you have to think that Gainey will stick with Huet for the playoffs too.

the way Huet is playing he'd be nuts not to. Huet has played like theo did a few years ago.

the way Huet is playing he'd be nuts not to. Huet has played like theo did a few years ago.

Under almost the same circumstances. Starter goes down with an injury, he comes in as relief and starts playing unreal.

Huet is 9-5-3 with a 2.26 goals-against average and .929 save percentage in 20 games this season...

Not too shabby! Keep it up Cristo-wall!

:hlogo:

Well defensive player of the week this week and let us not forget he was the runner up last week before the Olympic break. He also will be awarded the Molson Cup on March 11th when the Canadiens play their first home game of the month.

Also Higgins was runner up for Offensive player of the week.