Habs sign David Savard

One guy that the Habs might have considered was Nate Schmidt. Big cap hit ($6 mil) but that’s why he was acquired by WPG for modest cost (3rd round pick). IF he can recover his form in Vegas - and to be fair to him, Vancouver was a gong show last season, hardly an ideal environment to adjust to a new team - he’d be a legit top-4 puck-mover. Four more years of him might ultimately have made more sense than 4 X David Savard. 

That said, I’m not down on the Savard signing. I’m hopeful that he will be closer to Edmundson than Alzner on the “D acquisition” scale. But Schmidt has a much higher ceiling.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That said, I’m not down on the Savard signing. I’m hopeful that he will be closer to Edmundson than Alzner on the “D acquisition” scale. But Schmidt has a much higher ceiling.

Agreed. But that extra $2.5M would make moving Byron a "must" just to get back to the cap level we have today. Of course Bergevin may be working on that as I write this ...

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Agreed. But that extra $2.5M would make moving Byron a "must" just to get back to the cap level we have today. Of course Bergevin may be working on that as I write this ...

Plus Schmidt is a LD which they don't need nearly as much. An excellent skater though and would be an upgrade in the puck moving department.