Koivu's Last Season In Montreal

KoZed

The habs would sign him because 10 years with a franchise and beening your best player even with someone getting paid 4.5 million......I see him signing a 5yr long contract at goof price.And hes our capitain...

Don't bring up the thornton thing lol i was aware of that

I don't think Saku will be going anywhere, however we do have a habit of trading captains in recent years.

Trading captains has been done under previous regimes. I believe and trust Bob will be different. Anybody can and potentially should be traded if they're not bringing it every night. Koivu is all heart, and lots of skill besides. That isn't easy to find. Bob will find a way to keep him in Montreal.

It would be rather foolish to just assume that Saku will automatically return to Montreal after this year. But I wouldn't read anything into the fact that there's no negotiations taking place now when you consider that I don't think it's a priority for Koivu either. I'm pretty confident that Gainey knows what Koivu brings to the club, both in the dressing room and on the ice. He's going to see what offers are going to come across his desk. He knows what he has in Montreal, but I'm sure that he wants a shot at Cup in what will probably be his last few seasons in the NHL. Who knows, maybe he'll shock everyone and go back to Finland. In many cases, both parties agree not to negotiate during the season because of the distraction that it inevitably becomes later in the season.

Koivu playing for another NHL team than the Canadiens? Can't really imgaine it ...

I think Koivu always signed 1 year contracts in the last couple of years and I'm sure Gainey will find a way to keep his best player. He's the heart of the team, we simply need him.

Uh, Kozed.. I actually thought that Saku publiclly, and emphatically, saying that he wants to stay in MTL was good news. I imagine, read hope, that Bob will get something done before seasons end.

I'm sure Koivu is going to stay and I want to keep him, but only at a fair price. Don't care if he's the heart and soul of the team, can't afford to overpay a player with the new cap rules.

A long term contract (3 to 5 years, he's already 31 years old) for 3.5M$ per year would be nice. Love the guy, but he's always injured, so I wouldn't pay him much more then that, especially that he would be 35-36 years old at the end of a 5 year contract.

I read an article earlier this season where he mentionned that he wants to stay in Montreal for many reasons:

1) its is home away from home

2) Montreal's weather is like in Finland

3) as a very strong involvement in the community (cancer foundation, etc.)

4) feels that he owes something to the team for their support and medical attention for his cancer

5) the fans love him (he never gets booed or bashed in forums/media)

6) the Habs have always been is favorite team

Yes he could probably get more as UFA then 3.5M$/year, but I'm sure he would stay at a discount, as long as its not too much. Not sure he would be getting a 4-5 yer deal as a UFA....

There are not that many good UFA centers available this summer. I think Jokinen is the most important one. I wouldn't mind getting both (it also means bye bye Ribeiro), having a pair of Fin centers would be cool...

I bet Minnesota's weather is like Finland too. Niedermayer took less money to play with his brother in Anaheim, what's to say Koivu wouldn't do the same if the opportunity arose in Minnesota? Every player says the same thing when a contract is expiring "I want to stay here"...we'll see if it happens or not. That line is almost as common as a GM telling a player "I'll never trade you". Haha...I still recall how badly Muller felt after being dealt to the Isles.

People mention Minnesota all the time. Of course the bros would like to play together, but they're not stupid. They realize that this is a business.

If Montreal will give him what he wants in terms of money, he'll stay.

I read an article earlier this season where he mentionned that he wants to stay in Montreal for many reasons:

1) its is home away from home

2) Montreal's weather is like in Finland

3) as a very strong involvement in the community (cancer foundation, etc.)

4) feels that he owes something to the team for their support and medical attention for his cancer

5) the fans love him (he never gets booed or bashed in forums/media)

6) the Habs have always been is favorite team

I was watching a tv sports program in french. They brought up the fact that " Koivu has never made an effort to learn french" I suppose that was the only time I have heard anything negative against him in the media.

I think it's quite clear that Koivu is the heart of this hockey team, he motivates through his skilled work effort, he scores points, hits opposing players (not much of that in Mtl), sticks his nose in the corners and in front of the net. Mtl would not be in any playoff hunt without this guy on the team. Sign his ass as soon as you can.

of course, i'd rather have him stay in montreal but the idea of him going to minnesota to be with his brother for a few years isn't all that unbearable for me. if he'd be happy with that then good for him.

of course, again, i'd rather that he stayed with montreal and finish his career here but, if this hypothetical minnesota trade takes place, i trust that gainey will make the best of the deal.

who would i like? gaborik is a technicolour dream or zyuzin or foster or kuba or schultz + a prospect (o'sullivan or thelen) would also be bordering on a technicolour dream but more feasible.

i have an emotional tie with alex henry... i taught him in timmins when he was in primary school but i don't believe he would be a good acquisition for montreal.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Forget Minnesota, they already have Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Mikko Koivu and their #1 prospect is center Patrick O'sullivan, a top notch scorer and prospect. Why would they sign Saku? To play on the 3rd line? Where would O'sullivan play...on the 4th line? That's really good to develop a top prospect :lol:

Sorry, but Saku in Minnesota ain't never gonna happen. Unless BG doesn't want him back, which I doubt, there's no way in hell that he won't be back..as long as its for a reasonable price.

The fact that he's injury prone makes him less attractive for the other teams, which is good for us. Out of the many UFA available, why would a team who has no history with a player invest millions in that injury prone player. These guys are only picked up towards the end of the UFA market by desperate teams at a fairly low price...like the Rangers with Straka...the Bruins with Zhamnov, etc. All very good players that are injury prone. If I was a GM of any other team then the Habs, I would not sign Saku unless it was at a good discount, say 2.5M$/year. Jokinen will get a lot more attention then Koivu...

Koivu important player with HABS

But no way does Gainey give him a five year contract

after this year unless gainey had a crosby type player

drop down from wherever.

No one is going to get a 5 year contract

especially an injury prone vet.

i can see a 2 year with an option at most

Edited by larek

People mention Minnesota all the time. Of course the bros would like to play together, but they're not stupid. They realize that this is a business.

If Montreal will give him what he wants in terms of money, he'll stay.

My point was NJD offered Nieds the max salary and he took less to play with his brother. If Saku really wanted to, and Minny offered, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go there. He did come back too early from his last injury to play that game against his bro with the parents in attendence.

Uh, Kozed.. I actually thought that Saku publiclly, and emphatically, saying that he wants to stay in MTL was good news. I imagine, read hope, that Bob will get something done before seasons end.

I agree. Kozed, can you change the title of this thread? Last season... last days?!? Ugh! :o Every time I see that, I get uneasy. The thread title is way too alarmist compared to the content of the article.

I've always wondered why the Habs have not tried to draft an offensive Finnish forward with the hope that someday he would play on the same line as Koivu. I'm very confident that Koivu will resign with the Habs. The current trip of Bob Gainey & Habs 'Capologist' Julien Brisebois to Denver is likely a chance to visit George Gillette to discuss, among other things, starting to put together the groundwork for a new contract proposal to Koivu. I'm also certain that Gillette wanted a chance to discuss the state of the team with Gainey since they're practically at the mid way point of their season.

Yeah that would be nice. Koivu would be even more likley to stay if the Habs could secure another Fin to play on this team.