Oct. 8, Habs vs Ottawa (again), 6:30 PM

dlbalr

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__focused_v3.

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA my sentiments exactly

I hate all this “Canada’s Team” stuff. I want all Toronto sports teams to die agonizing, humiliating deaths, over and over and over for all eternity.👍

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

How much time does the pp coach get? I get that skill is an important part of a pp, and habs don't have that, but Holy moly it's bad.

Yes and no. When they got it set up, with Caufield, Monahan and Wideman, it was clicking quite nicely, with multiple scoring options. And Monahan can win faceoffs. (If he can play as well in the regular season as in the pre-season, I could see Hugo extending him rather than trading him away as he's still only 27.)

What was terrible was the inability to enter the zone and get set up on most of the power play attempts. They will definitely need to work on this.

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

What was terrible was the inability to enter the zone and get set up on most of the power play attempts. They will definitely need to work on this.

Wouldn’t a nearly complete lack of competent puck-moving defencemen (or any defencemen, really) play a key role in this? I have a hard time believing even Scotty Bowman could get much blood from the stone that is the Habs’ blueline.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wouldn’t a nearly complete lack of competent puck-moving defencemen (or any defencemen, really) play a key role in this? I have a hard time believing even Scotty Bowman could get much blood from the stone that is the Habs’ blueline.

I think they were playing mostly 4F+1D on power play, and either Wideman or Matheson. I should have hoped that those two can move the puck, but they would also need to work with the forwards to get set up in the offensive zone. I'm really speculating, though, with French TV commentary and little hard data from the pre-season.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hes a 20 year old defenceman and a first round pick... ill give him 2-3 years at least before writing him off.

I dont understand why some people want to declare 20 year old dmen as finished products who suck and basically throw them away.

I didn't look at his age. That buys a year or two of grace for sure. 

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And Monahan can win faceoffs. (If he can play as well in the regular season as in the pre-season, I could see Hugo extending him rather than trading him away as he's still only 27.)

I've thought that since the moment they picked him up because he should be able to rebound from his injuries.   If he does, he should be able to get 50-55 pts easy, and possibly his usual 60.  Depending on who he plays with he could get upwards of his 80 pts.  If he has a decent year the Habs should try to resign him at a discount at the trade deadline. 

I dont get why so many rag on Baron.  He is young and he's probably the best puck moving dman they have.  ex:  he's done numerous long break away passes.  I'm actually surprised that teams haven't tried to exploit that 2 line pass violation rule change.  When that rule changed I figured some teams would be trying to do that constantly, but none really have.