Claude Julien Fired! Gainey To Take Over.

Hab4life

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those calling for Claude Juliens head as of late... rest assured, it's happened.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150719&hubname=

Gainey will take over, while Guy Carboneau will join as an assistant! (As Rick Green was also fired).

To me, this is great news. I mean... FINALLY! Carbo is back!

My guess is that Gainey will want to coach the team for a bit and evaluate them REALLY up-close before making and decisions on who stays and who goes.

If I were a player right now, and I had Gainey back at the bench waiting there for when I finish my shift, I'd want to make it one hell of a shift.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150719&hubname=

I wonder who the next coach will be?

Hmm, just don't know if it will affect anything (see Therrien with the Pens this season)?!

I really, really liked Julien and I don't think he's the one to blame for all the losses. But it's always cheaper to fire a coach ...

So Gainey will be the coach for tonights game?

:o

He will probably be coach until they find a new one. You have to admit though. Like him or not, he totally mishandled the rookies and second year players. No way someone should be called up and gets just over one minute per game for 3 games in a row. I totally hate Pat Quinn and the leafs, but look at what he has done with the rookies on that team. I just hope the new coach will handle rookies the right way and give them a vote of confidence. Instead of making them so afraid of making a mistake(which would get them benched) that they make even more mistakes.

Hmmm. Larry Robinson is available. Maybe Sutter will come up to the big show! Although, after reading some of the stuff that Gainey did with the Stars, I don't think I would mind if he kept coaching the team himself.

Edited by Hab4life

I'd like to see, either Sutter, too obvious and expensive or Nolan, who I would love to see back in the big show. Did he take Melanson with him, Johnny asks ready to duck and weave the goalie coach fans, yes he is good but so was Claude. Effective? Maybe with youngsters but..... what ever. Oh, the Big Bird is available.

I think Carbo will be the next head Coach...I love that guy. Watch the PK, PP and faceoffs go sky high.

Carbo and Gainey will do wonders for the likes of HIggins and Begin, watch their play go through the roof as those guys can appreciate them.

Don't be surprised if this interim coaching will showcase the pieces he wants to move, watch Ribs get more icetime than he has recently.

Bringing Carbo back was the best thing that Gainey has done period, I hope he is the next head coach and this currrent situation is so they can evaluate the team together up close and decide what moves are to be done.

I like claude but let's be honest he mismanaged this team quite a bit.

I'm so pumped to see him behind the bench tonight. WOW

Go HABS Go

It's about time...nothing personal against Julien, although I didn't agree with alot of his decisions...like not playing the youngsters...Glad to see Carbo and BG behind the bench (where they both belong.)...this move brings instant credibility and, more importantly, accountability to some of the underachieving veteran players...and hopefully additional ice time to some of the hard working younger players...

Seems to me that's exactly the formula that won us the cup in 1986?...

I think this the product of two recent happenings:

1 - Gillette wants playoff money, which owner doesn't!, and he saw what the team had done in the first month so he believes this is a playoff team. He and Gainey met in Colorado this past week and undoubtedly discusses all possible options to get the team out of the slump. Gillette probably asked for a change of some sort and a La Presse report today (or yesterday) mentionned that Gainey couldn't get what he wanted in return for Theo, so he's holding on until he does. And who would pick up Ribs right now?

So the only change was to releive Julien.

2 - The players have stopped responding to him. I don't have a clue why this occured. But its obious he's been unable to get into the heads of his players and affect how they consistently perform. When that happens, it is often difficult to reverse the situation.

All in all, it goes down to Julien unable to effectively use his players during the injuries. He wasn't able to trust Komi, Perezhogin, Plekanek at times, and Higgins even still. Even though they showed that they were able to, at the least, handle themselves in appropriate situation.

Nonetheless, a real shocking move this morning.

Well Gainey made a difficult decision but Montreal needed a coach with NHL experience. I am sure Gainey had made a decision at sometime during the season or prior to it that at the mid way point in the season if this team was not a playoff team a coaching change was necessary. A lot of fans will be happy; hopefully he could inspire this team. The entire team will be shaken up now though. After signing that long contract extension many people thought Julien was hear to stay but Gainey had other plans. All players on the team should have a little extra jump in their feet trying to impress their new coach. Begin, Higgins and Bulis should all become better players with Bob and Carbs now behind the bench.

carbo is back as am associate coach not as an assistant I would say that means he will be the new head coach once bg is done evaluating the troops he has. BG also I would think wants to give Carbo time to fit in and make a plan for how to get this team going in the right direction. Larry can't handle the presssure in NJ no way could he handle Mon. It is extremely good news that Carbo is back. He is a died in the wool habs and never should have left. Can we blame houle for that too?

I LOVE the fact that Carbo is back, even more than the fact that Julien is gone.

Now, as long as Jarvis doesn't become head coach (I saw Green got fired, didin't notice about Jarvis), I'll be VERY happy.

If Carbo becomes head coach, I think I might like that. He knows his stuff. Hopefully he can do the job.

Edited by Fanpuck33

I LOVE the fact that Carbo is back, even more than the fact that Julien is gone.

Now, as long as Jarvis doesn't become head coach (I saw Green got fired, didin't notice about Green), I'll be VERY happy.

If Carbo becomes head coach, I think I might like that. He knows his stuff. Hopefully he can do the job.

Of all the few options Gainey had if he chose to sack Julien, this is probably the 2nd best after hiring Bowman. You can't bullshit your coach when he's also your GM. Gainey was a very good in Minnesota but he has'nt coached in over a decade, so I'm wondering how he'll adapt to the current product.

I would have swore Carbo wanted nothing to do with coaching anymore. That's the biggest surprise of the lot. I'm guessing Gainey must have had a tough time convincing Carbo. There is your development guy. Carbo will work with the youngsters, he's better at it than he gets credit for.

Now to those who mentionned Larry Robinson... Robinson can't be head-coach in Montreal. He can't even handle the pressure of New Jersey, imagine Montreal. BUT, he would be a great assistant-coach. Much better than Green, IMO.

Fanpuck must be the most excited habs fan. Just look at his avatar it never changes from the Carbo Play Smart Card.

Personally I liked Julien but he had no prior NHL experience, Carbo on the other hand I love and he will be perfect to bring along Gui next year they can share the chants. On that note expect to hear some Guy chants tonight in the Bell Centre.

Thinking about how many teams there are out there looking for a coach right now... (MTL, NJ, and NYI), it will be interesting to see how everything turns out.

You've got to believe that all 3 would be interested in Sutter. Look at what his brother has done in Calgary. However, I doubt that Gainey would give up his GM position... but Sutter and him would (in my mind) work great together. Both like simular types of hard-working teams.

Gainey-Sutter-Carbo... think about that combo leading this team. It only makes sense. And you've got to think that Sutter would be very interested in the Habs' situation w/ great young talent on the way up... not too mention his captain... Kyle Chipchura... only a year or 2 away from the NHL.

However, my bet is that Sutter wants to stay w/ his junior team for now, and make the jump during the off-season. Anything can happen though...

Fanpuck must be the most excited habs fan. Just look at his avatar it never changes from the Carbo Play Smart Card.

Haha, I hadn't even realized that had been my avatar for so long. But yeah, Carbs was my favorite Habs back in the early '90s, aside from Roy of course. He was then an excellent assistant for us from 2000-2002. I was quite disappointed when he left, just because the stupid Montreal schools wouldn't let his daughter go to an English speaking school.

I guess that's no longer an issue, and it's great to have him back!

Sutter owns and manages Red Dear

while Chipchura plays for Prince Albert. i'm assuming that's what you meant by his captain.

If you meant for Canada i don't think he cares so much about that to chose a place to coach. Every team being talked about has a team Canada player from this year or last.

Carbo is the man.....I'm so pumped he's back. He does wonders for teaching youngsters and special teams.