Game #36 Habs vs Tampa 7PM Sunday Dec 31

DON

• DON changed the title to Game #36 Habs vs Tampa 7PM Sunday Dec 31

Just 4 shots for Montembeault to stop.

Struble seems pretty mistake free. Struble 5:58, Guhle 4:46

Entertaining period.

That was an odd goal for sure, too bad Montembeault hadnt shot the puck.

Out shooting them 22-11.

Habs 65% on faceoffs

Nice goal by Cole from him forechecking hard and stealing the puck.  

Andy with a big hit on a Bolt that wasn't a 1st over-all pick and it led to a fight.  Wow, surprise surprise; who'd a thunk it?  What a bunch of goon 2 time Cup winners?  No, winning teams have camraderie and protect each other.  

Although it was great to see Kovacevic score and that goal was unbelievably funny I tend to think Monty messed up on that play.  i.e. it would have been epic if he had shot it himself.   I was having issues with my feed and when I 1st saw it and I had no idea what happened and thought my feed froze. ex:  I saw Monty save the puck, then it showed Tampa players changing, then the puck was in their empty net.   Incredibly, I watched it on both feeds and all the commentators were also stumped as to what had happened.  Afterwards, both sets of commentators said their crews had never seen anything like that before.  They also both mentioned how strange it was for the refs to go upstairs with it and have a prolonged review.  i.e. the refs would have know if 1 of them had blown the whistle or not - so why review it?  However, 1 eventually said that the ref probably had to explain to the situation room that they had not blown the play dead.  It still seemed unusual how long it took to review that. 

It is unfortunately that they lost, that was a winnable game; but that was exactly what I wanted to see from them in all these 4 point games.  They were playing like it was a playoff game and the Tampa fans seemed to be helping fuel that intensity.   

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Although it was great to see Kovacevic score and that goal was unbelievably funny I tend to think Monty messed up on that play.  i.e. it would have been epic if he had shot it himself.   I was having issues with my feed and when I 1st saw it and I had no idea what happened and thought my feed froze. ex:  I saw Monty save the puck, then it showed Tampa players changing, then the puck was in their empty net.   Incredibly, I watched it on both feeds and all the commentators were also stumped as to what had happened.  Afterwards, both sets of commentators said their crews had never seen anything like that before.  They also both mentioned how strange it was for the refs to go upstairs with it and have a prolonged review.  i.e. the refs would have know if 1 of them had blown the whistle or not - so why review it?  However, 1 eventually said that the ref probably had to explain to the situation room that they had not blown the play dead.  It still seemed unusual how long it took to review that.

The mistake would have been had Kovacevic missed the net.  Then it would have been icing and they wouldn't have been able to get a change in.

On the review, I wonder if they were looking for the 'intent' to blow the whistle element that we see creep up from time to time. 

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The mistake would have been had Kovacevic missed the net.  Then it would have been icing and they wouldn't have been able to get a change in.

On the review, I wonder if they were looking for the 'intent' to blow the whistle element that we see creep up from time to time. 

I wondered that too and I forget which feed I saw it on but the 1 replay showed it pretty good that there was no intent to blow the whistle.   The 1 replay shows that Monty saved the puck, and the linesman that was out by the blue line started skating in towards Monty to retrieve the puck.  However, when Monty gave the puck to Kova the ref immediately stopped and went back to where he was.  Apparently, the only people that were aware that the puck was still live was Monty and the refs.  Kova was confused when Monty gave him the puck and the rest of the Habs had no clue either that the play was still live.  

I believe it was Corrado on TSN that gave an explanation as to why that goal happened.  i.e. when Monty made the save, none of the Bolt players skated over to him, and when an opposing player challenges a goalie that just made a save is typically when the refs blow the whistle.  When the other team isn't around the goalie they get to decide if they will play the puck or hold onto it to get the whistle.  Well, Monty realized no whistle had blown so he decided to play the puck considering how Tampa skated off to do a line change.  

In the post-game interview Kovacevic said that Anderson was already in the neutral zone (so presumably he was aware of what was going on) but when he saw that the Tampa net was completely empty he decided to shoot instead of passing.

So, I expect Kovacevic was pretty confident he could hit the net. 🙂