Is Theo Tradeable?

Le démon brun

I would love to see Theo leave so Huet and Dany could share the goalie duty till Price is ready, and so Bob could get back that 5.3 million lost on the habs's salary cap because of that !#@##!@!@#$**! Josée.

Given his huge contract and lack of skills, would any GM want Theo? if so, who would and which player, realisticly, could the habs get in return (appart from Habibulin)? If not, would he clear waivers?

I'm thinking Tkachuk (11g, 12 a, 16g), since he has such a huge contract (7.6 league max), since he's 34 and somewhat of an idiot, since St-Louis is having a fire sale, and givin the fact that Josee is still young and could bounce back in a different environment. Ok this one is not so realistic

no his not going anywhere, no team is going to take a chance on him with the way his been playing because he cant improve there team and if there his someone welling to take a chance, we get vey little in return.

Assumeeeeeeeee this Possible scenario!

If THeo gets his confidence back and gets used to the gear... is he still our top goalie? Anyone done revisions on whose hot and whose not ?? I'm concerned about theo's size being a factor in today's NHL... has anyone done a regression analysis with the Size and GAA recently?

I am almost certain he is done in Montreal.

The fans hate him and the Bell Center boo birds are relentless. If Theo is a goalie who is rattled by mental stress, (obviously he is) he will never be able to survive here anymore.

Can he be traded?

Ofcourse he can, the question is what is he worth to other teams?

A draft pick or an impact player?

He does have value but it would have to be for someone who is also having trouble and needs a change of address. i am not sure who that is at this point but maybe its fernandez or giguere if he keeps pissing his coach off.

PMK - I disagree that he is done in Montreal... unless you're doubting he gets his game back. If he ever manages a few big saves, the Bell faithful will be cheering their fickle hearts out.

As for a deal, I don't think any team will take that chance until he's back in action and showing that he can stop the puck. He was just too terrible in his last few starts (excl. Toronto) to overlook. If that comes to pass, Montreal would almost certainly get something of substance in return. This is not because Theo has any great value - because a few decent starts won't give him that - but the simple economic fact that no team will take his salary without shedding some of their own. There is zero chance we could unload him for picks. Transactions like that involving highly paid players in the salary cap era will prove to have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Ofcourse he can, the question is what is he worth to other teams?

A draft pick or an impact player?

A draft pick is an impact player waiting to happen.

If Brisebois is any indication, he's done. After that one horrible season he had, the fans may have laid off him, but they never really got fully behind him again either. Theo would have to win another Vezina/Hart/Conn Smythe in order to win back the crowds.

As for being tradeable, everyone is. You're not gonna get much back for him, either a mid-round pick or a mid-level player. St. Louis can keep Tkachuk, he's way past his prime. I'd rather see Plekanec, Perezhogin and Higgins playing and getting better with more ice time than adding another 30-something rental.

Of course he's tradeable. Everybody's tradeable.

It's just a matter of what you can get for him in a trade. At this point, I don't expect it would be much. Knowing Gainey, it's possible that he might be able to swing something to our advantage (not strongly but somewhat so).

Now, if it were for that wonderful thief, Sam Pollock, then....

A draft pick is an impact player waiting to happen.

as long as it's 1st round pick we get. I'd love to get another 1st rounder..it' just makes things really interesting come june.

hey we should get a 2009 1st round pick since the draft should be in montreal.

Anybody is tradeable, and closer to the deadline, when teams tend to get a littler nervous a good deal may pop up, but come next year Theodore will still be in a Mtl uniform and still be their #1 goalie. It'll be Huet or Danis that will be gone....one of them has to go...or else Danis will just waste away in Hamilton

what happens if by any chance, theo wins a couple of games beofre march 9th

his stock will rise high enough to get a bonafide player and good draft picks.

but who would pick him??

It's no wonder no one wants to play in Montreal, the fans are such bandwagoners its nuts. All in keep hearing everyone say is that Theo has only had one good year. What about 2003-04...he was an ALL-Star, 33 W's, 2.37 gaa, 919 save percentage. This year he's been very streaky, but hardly the only one at fault when the team was struggling. When this team was the AHL Canadiend he was also putting up decent #'s, so anybody who says he's only had one good year is not paying attention. I think we will regret it when he gets run out of town.

Exactly....Theodore carried this whole team for years, and when he started faltering, the team sank to its worst depths since the 1940's. Just goes to show how important this guy really was to this team.

Nows hes struggling and everybody wants him run out of town. ITs sad.

Hopefully he can right himself and get back to playing the way we know he can

I'm not sure we should trade Theodore at this point in the season. The team already has paid most of his salary and cap number for this season.

Taking his current struggles into account we will get next to nothing for him in any trade with any team. I think we should hold on to him at least until the end of the season. I don't see any rush in trading him for next to nothing. Huet is playing better than almost every other goaltender in the league right now, so we certainly don't have goaltending problems. The team, in turn, is rallying for a playoff spot around Huet's exploits.

Watch for the Canadiens to play Jose strictly on the road in some of their final 25 or so games to see if he can find his form in an environment with slightly less stress than Montreal. If he finds some or all of his former self during this time Gainey can make an informed off season decision on his status with the team.

It's tough, really. Right now is the worst possible situation for both parties involved. The Habs are going to have ease in Theodore slowly, but in terms of any trade possibilities..I really doubt that Gainey would do something rash and dump him for a first rounder, and then watch as the entire city is overrun with Patrick Roy trade deja vu.

Feb. 22nd the Canadiens return to practice. I would expect that Jose is practicing right now even without the team and when official practice begins hopefully Huet and Theo can push each other really hard. Theo will start I would imagine 2 of their first 6 games back from the break; all six of those games are on the road. The most important two games are against Toronto and Boston on the 7th and 9th respectively. Theo will make one of those starts unless Huet is on another shutout streak. I would imagine Theo will get the Toronto start as that is where he played his last respectful game. Theo is not tradeable right now everyone always is except when injured. But Bob wont trade Theo away right now he believes in Theo and that he can return to form in the bleu blanc et rouge.

Go Habs Go!

Go Theo Go!

We must believe!

Edited by JMMR

It's tough, really. Right now is the worst possible situation for both parties involved. The Habs are going to have ease in Theodore slowly, but in terms of any trade possibilities..I really doubt that Gainey would do something rash and dump him for a first rounder, and then watch as the entire city is overrun with Patrick Roy trade deja vu.

We will never have Roy deja vu because for that to happen, Theo would need to go and win a cup with another team and that will never happen, Theo is not good enough to win a cup.