Why Ryder Again For The Shootout?

CerebusClone

Ryder doesn't have the stickhandling skills or the hockey sense for the shootout, which you need to be successful in it. Who scored tonight? Ribeiro, Forsberg, and Nedved... not exactly 3 candidates for the Rocket Richard award. This is also why I don't understand why we never use Koivu, who's always the "go to" for Finland in international competitions.

Kovalev

Koivu

Ribeiro

Kostsitsyn (when he's with the team)

Perezhogin

If you need more players, Plekanec might be ok (not sure), Bonk has skills, then go with the other guys.

I completly agree.

Ryder must always score in practice or something because in actual shootouts he is terrible. I would much rather see Koivu, Higgins, Plex, Markov or Bonk.

They need to realize that guys who can just score in practice on Theo are not necessarily great SO picks... :)

The only pure shooter we have who is successful in the SO is Dags because he has a very accurate shot when he has time to pick his spot.

I would use bonk or pleks before Ryder. Certainly koivu, although I don't think he is great on a shootout.

I think Gainey decided on the shooters not Carbo and Jarvis! BUT it was a good choice!

In the same way Koivu decided not too shoot and pass to ryder a couple of games ago! it would have given us a more evenly confident line up having Ryder and Ribs scoring!

so 1/2 done! Tomorrow we'll see!

Ryder has a wicked shot, but how many shootout goals are scored by a point shot? :blink:

Ryder is 1 of the Habs top scorers, but he isnt likely to ever wrist or snap one by a goalie in a shoot out. Its a really silly choice to have him shoot. :P

I'd rather see Sourey from the bl;ue line attempt to blast a slapshot past the goalie on the shootout. :lol:

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Interesting fact, Ryder seems to suffer, despite him being a pure goal scorer... and this is very similar to another pure goal scorer: Ilya Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk is now 1/7 on shootouts.

I think you need a tremendous amount of creativity and finesse to be effective on the SO (Dags is the exception!). And Ryder tends to lack these characteristics.

Get Koivu out there!

Ryder has a wicked shot, but how many shootout goals are scored by a point shot? :blink:

Ryder is 1 of the Habs top scorers, but he isnt likely to ever wrist or snap one by a goalie in a shoot out. Its a really silly choice to have him shoot. :P

I'd rather see Sourey from the bl;ue line attempt to blast a slapshot past the goalie on the shootout. :lol:

I agree. Our guys all seem to shoot on the goalie rather than deke. Most of the goals I have seen scored have been by players making a move. Higgins, considering his hot hand should have been included. Of course, Gainey could have selected Zednik. Although he might have skated all the way down the boards to behind the net ineffectively.

I agree. Our guys all seem to shoot on the goalie rather than deke. Most of the goals I have seen scored have been by players making a move. Higgins, considering his hot hand should have been included. Of course, Gainey could have selected Zednik. Although he might have skated all the way down the boards to behind the net ineffectively.

LMFOA

What? Doesn't that work? Someone should tell him... :D

Well the reason why Dags is so successful is because of his height, if a player is very tall 6"3+ then a goalie has to respect the players ability to pull the puck across their body, so they usually back into the net. Tall players also have a shooting advantage because the length of their release can really allow them to quickly go short side or bring the puck across the goalies face with a quick shot. That is why Kozlov in New Jersey is so successful and Dags in Montreal. Ryder at only 6 foot is too short to be just a shooter.

Well the reason why Dags is so successful is because of his height, if a player is very tall 6"3+ then a goalie has to respect the players ability to pull the puck across their body, so they usually back into the net. Tall players also have a shooting advantage because the length of their release can really allow them to quickly go short side or bring the puck across the goalies face with a quick shot. That is why Kozlov in New Jersey is so successful and Dags in Montreal. Ryder at only 6 foot is too short to be just a shooter.

i dont think height as that big of deal with the shoot out, when most of the better shoot out players are under 6'3(jussi jokinen 5'11)

i dont think height as that big of deal with the shoot out, when most of the better shoot out players are under 6'3(jussi jokinen 5'11)

yeah, but jussi is not a pure sniper.

Right now I'd go:

1) Higs/Zhog

2) Kovalev

3) Koivu

x4) Ribs

Or you could do like my friend suggested:

throw souray in first and have him just rail a slapshot at the goalie's head... soften him up for the remainder. :o

yeah, but jussi is not a pure sniper.

Right now I'd go:

1) Higs/Zhog

2) Kovalev

3) Koivu

x4) Ribs

Or you could do like my friend suggested:

throw souray in first and have him just rail a slapshot at the goalie's head... soften him up for the remainder. :o

i like higs,kovalev.koivu,zhog,

no ribs he sucks and when he do score it just makes his head bigger..so he can run his mouth more

:lool: :lool: :lool: :lool:

that IS funny sh!t !! hahahaha

:clap::clap:

no ribs he sucks and when he do score it just makes his head bigger..so he can run his mouth more

He was lucky to score with that play he made on the shootout; Esche rad the play and made the save, but somehow that puck just kept sliding in. I'm not even sure the goal should have been allowed. Koivu and Kovalev should both be locks for the shootout. As for the third shooter, Gainey should go with the hot player of the moment.

He was lucky to score with that play he made on the shootout; Esche rad the play and made the save, but somehow that puck just kept sliding in. I'm not even sure the goal should have been allowed. Koivu and Kovalev should both be locks for the shootout. As for the third shooter, Gainey should go with the hot player of the moment.

I agree with you, K&K should always be on the list, unless a few players have been having an UNBELIEVABLE night.

Ryder is pure junk on the shootout. If a player has no skills than he must have a superstar shot. Ryder doesn't have enough skill to risk a deke and though his shot is good, I wouldn't trust himwith the game on his stick. Last night he almost shot his shootout puck straight into the protective net. Kovalev is 100% in the shootout. You guys might not like RIbeiro but face it, he's got great stickhandling skills and a good shot too. The stickhandling is more important than the shot when it comes to shootouts. Plekanec has a great combination of both. When he comes out of his slump, I'd like to see him out there. Koivu isn't good at breakaways but we've gotta try him out sometime. Bulis' shot would probably ricochet both posts and then catch an air current which drifts it out of the net, only to land exactly on the goalline before being gloved by the goalie. Higgins should shoot considering how hot he is. I also want to see Markov get a shot.

I think he meant Kovalev should participate in 100% of the shootouts.

Exactly. I meant 100%, we should use Kovalev. Kovalev is by far our best shooter and probably one of the hardst to face in the league. He barely missed at all last night. There should never be a shootout where Kovalev isn't shooting for us.

I fully expected to see Higgins in the second group of shooters after he wasn't among the first three. He already had a goal, and had four points in three games. But then again, I also expected Danis to get the start last night as well.

Ryder has to vary his shooting a little more. He likes to go top shelf, so all the goalies are doing is taking away the bottom half and making him make the mistakes. Maybe he needs to shoot five-hole, or try the leg-kick and get the goalie to commit earlier.