Montreal's Best Rookie Since Saku Koivu

CerebusClone

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you say has been the best rookie for the Montreal Canadiens since Saku Koivu?

• Andrei Markov (6-17-23 in 63 games)
    • Micheal Ryder (25-38-63 in 81 games)
    • Mathieu Garon (was a rookie during his first 3 seasons)
    • Chris Higgins (23-15-38 in 76 games so far)

My choice would be Chris Higgins because of his great overall play. He might not have been as productive as Ryder, but Higgins has played in all situations, including on the penalty kill, with the confidence of a veteran. How many rookies have the trust of a guy like Bob Gainey to play in the last moments of every close game?

I vote Higgins,

Although not as productive as Ryder, I think if he'd been on a top 2 line getting the ice time he is now all year, he would certainly have matched Ryder. Look at what he's done since the Olympic break, the guy has a nose for the net and is superb defesively. I think BG really hit the nail on the head comparing him to Lehtinen.

I'd say Ryder. He was challenging for the calder that year and probably should have won it over Raycroft. Ryder was mostly consistent all that year. Higgins has only turned it on the last 2 months or so.

I think people are probably only looking at Ryder this year and seeing how he's slumped some in his sophmore year.

Definitly I would say Ryder. But Higgins definitley has the bigger upside. Hes a better two way player, faster, better playmaker and capable of playing in all situations. But I'm really happy with Montreals youngsters. Who can boast a group of youngsters with as much "potential" as Higgins, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Ryder, and Kostitsyn. Just need some quality defense prospects now.

I think it has to be Ryder. I dont know if many recall, Ryder came out of almost nowhere and carried the Habs' offense with Ribs for the better part of last season and was a big reason the Habs made the playoffs when no one saw them there.

Higgins is better surrounded this season and only broke through offensively lately. Opposite team's game plans certainly weren't focused on stopping him like they were for Ryder when he was a rookie.

Anyway, let's just be happy we've got good rookies coming up. Next season, it might be Kostitsyn; and the season after it might be Latendresse. Good drafts are starting to pay off, finaly.

Edited by KoZed

I agree with Ryder, for the reasons mentioned by kaos. He's given us something we've desperately needed - a reliable scorer. Offence is something we've struggled at. We seem to have an abundance of guys who can play well defensively.

This isn't to take anything away from Higgins, of course. He's an excellent all-around player who competes every time he's on the ice. A great future awaits him.

Has to be Higgins sure Ryder is pretty good in the offensive zone on the power play but Higgins is a spectacular player everywhere on the ice. Not to mention he rarely if ever takes a shift off and he is not afraid to go to the danger zones in front of the net.

Ryder had a great rookie season but he is no Higgy POP.

Higgins is better surrounded this season and only broke through offensively lately. Opposite team's game plans certainly weren't focused on stopping him like they were for Ryder when he was a rookie.

Although I agree that until recently, opposite teams probably didn't pay as much attention to Higgins than they did to Ryder last season, I would't say he was better surrounded. Ryder played almost all season long on the top 2 lines, with quite a bit of time on the power play. He played a lot with either Koivu or Ribeiro, except early on when he played with Perreault for a few games.

As for Higgins, he played almost all season on the bottom 2 lines, with the occasional stint with Koivu or Ribeiro when the coaches were desperate, and tried just about every possible line combinations. He also never really had a chance on the power play until the Olympic break. Yet, despite not getting an offensive for 3/4 of the season, he's almost matched Ryder's goal production from last season. And that's in addition to his far superior overall play. That's why I picked Higgins.

With that said, I think Higgins is playing way over his head right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if he hardly reached the 20-goal plateau next season. Higgins did the same in Hamilton; he sometimes gets on a huge hot streak, like now, but he never usually keeps it up for this long. However, the "new" NHL is better suited for a guy like him, so his career potential might be greater than we all thought...

Ryder had the biggest impact. He carried the Habs offense when it was almost non-existing. When Ryder made the team, no one expected he would be good and would be another checking forward. I heard that people were iffy about him getting a roster spot.

Higgins on the other hand, he joined in a season where the Habs decided to inject some rookies. Aside playing good at training camp, Higgins was almost assured a roster spot unless something insane occured. Not to mention, there was no way he was going to clear waivers.

Sure, Higgins has been fanstastic this season, but he's only really exploded during the 2nd half. (Mostly due to the coaching change though.)

My vote goes to Ryder who had a fantastic season playing with Ribs... :o lol

With that said, I think Higgins is playing way over his head right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if he hardly reached the 20-goal plateau next season. Higgins did the same in Hamilton; he sometimes gets on a huge hot streak, like now, but he never usually keeps it up for this long. However, the "new" NHL is better suited for a guy like him, so his career potential might be greater than we all thought...
I disagree, no way is Higgins playing over his head, let alone "way over". I personally liked this guy from day one, he's great on the boards, goes into the tight scoring areas without fear, plays with great intensity all the time and above all else is intelligent. The skys the limit for this guy. JMHO.

Having said all that I vote Ryder for the best rookie.

Edited by olematelot

I disagree, no way is Higgins playing over his head, let alone "way over". I personally liked this guy from day one, he's great on the boards, goes into the tight scoring areas without fear, plays with great intensity all the time and above all else is intelligent. The skys the limit for this guy. JMHO.

Having said all that I vote Ryder for the best rookie.

I love the guy too, and I think he'll be one of the most important players on the roster for years to come, but I just don't think he'll ever produce at this pace consistently. Also, if he needs a very good playmaker to produce; if it weren't for Koivu, he might not even have half the goals he's scored this season. Not unlike Mike Peca, I think he's a guy who'll have his ups and downs in terms of point production, but will always be useful nonetheless.

I still think he's a 20-25 goal scorer that can give us between 40-60 points every season, depending on what kind of role he'll be given from one season to another.

Edited by CerebusClone

Id have to say Ryder,... If Higgins had been producing like this all season and not just after the break then I would have said him.

:hlogo:

the plus for higgins over ryder is that he is more valuable to to the team when not scoring. The versatility is so damn attractive..

that being said, 30 goal scorers dont grow on trees...

but hey, higs could be one too next yr...

and higs is only 2 goals off of ryder's goal total from his rookie yr... (and like 23 off his assist total)

Edited by simonus

Ryder - hands down.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

lol i'm going to laugh if at the end of the season higgins has 26 or more goals...and then i bet half of you ryder voters will jump the fence.

nah, the real good stuff will come next season when we see what higgins can really do...i have a feeling it'll be better than ryder's sophmore season.

Definitely Higgins. Goal scoring isn't everything. Higgins has played very well all year. Its only been in the last couple of months that he's been put into an offensive role. Also he is still an import cog on our penalty kill. Ryder was given ice time right from game 1 last year. Higgins was getting less than 10 minutes per game early this season.

Ryder has an excellent shot and is a great sniper. Higgins is a complete player. He will be a star.

Some people have said here that Ryder carried us into the playoffs in his rookie year. Where do you think we would be in the playoff race right now without Higgins goals (and defensive play) over the past 10 games?

Hey, I didn't say Higgins wasn't playing very well right now. And I agree that his role whil Julien was coaching was much different. But the facts are, Ryder's contribution throughout the entire season in 03/04 was very important. Higgins, prior to the Olympic break, wasn't really a factor for the Habs. So to say he's the best rookie for the Habs since Saku based on two months of play doesn't cut it for me. Take Ryder out of the roster in his rookie year and the impact on the Habs would've been huge.

Theoretically, who's to say that if Zednik or Perezhogin played on the line with Koivu and Ryder that they too wouldn't be enjoying the success Higgins is seeing right now? I'm not discounting his accomplishments at all and think he's a great player, but I think some of the Habs recent success is also due to the fact that THAT line has been intact for a while. Recency tends to cloud opinion.

Chris Higgins.

Ryder only has one aspect to his game and that's goal-scoring. Higgins does it all AND it looks like he may match Ryder's total in goals (his specialty). If a defensive guy who played half the season on bottom lines with limited icetime matches a goalscorer with no other talent in goals then I think it's safe to say he's done better.

It's true that Higgins only had a half a great season but it's also true that he only had half a season of great opportunities.

I still say Higgins. After all, Ryder had regular line 2 duty in '04. Higgins was regularly wasted and improperly inserted into the lineup under Julien. I was dumbfounded. We all were. Rookie here, rookie there. Higgins got flopped around but his game was awesome.

Under Julien, for the exception of the penalty killing. He was not utilized. I'm not gonna lay that at his door when considering the question.

Ryder 2004: 81GP 25G 38A 63PTS Line 2 & powerplay

Higgins 2006: 76GP 23G 15A 38PTS Line ? until Bob saved the Habs.

Hmmm.

I give it to Higgins because of the strong 2 way play. That's what does it.

Funny how my Avatar is Ryder but he's awesome. They're all going to be awesome. :king: Insert sinister happy habs fan laugh here____________________ :hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

HIGGINS!!!

You gotta love the guy for always giving 110%. Thought to be a 3rd line winger with good D. But turns out to be much more than that. He can score more goals than thought! He keeps on developing, and we haven't seen it all yet!

I think Ryder is a good Goalscorer but there are not more good points about his game, i think Higgins his attitude is better. Works harder! Both big talented guys, but talking about workethic you gotta give it to Higgins. Very disciplined

Great debate. I think this is one of the best Threads I've read in a long time. Interesting viewpoints.

Who ever you think is the better rookie, everyone has to agree this guys make for a promising future in Montreal.

NOt to knock Koivu for nothing, but could you imagine next year HIggins and Ryder on a line together with a #1 center? I'm not sure these guys can reach there full potential with Koivu. BUt with a guy like Brad Richards, they're(Higgins and Ryder) both capable of 30 goals and maybe a Selke for Higgins. Then Koivu, Kovalev and either PErezhogin or Kostitsyn on the second line. Could be the best top 6 in hockey. Very exciting. Too bad it won't happen. Hopefully Koivu can stay healthy and play a full season next year.

Go Habs