Game Thread | Canes Vs. Habs | 04/28/06

Spider-Man NL

Brilliant - just what the Habs need = give the Hurricane's another power play? :rolleyes:

Why not? Ha. It's not like they won't get there share anyway. Heck, they can stand in the crease at will and get no calls...

Obviously, a little toungue in cheek here.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm listening to the Bob Gainey post-game interview on RDS TV.

His French is really improving a lot. He's getting back to the high quality of French he had as a player. I'm really impressed.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

A richly deserved loss. The only surprise is that it was a one goal game when all was said and done. I still can't believe we almost gave up a goal while 2 men up.

The tide has turned in the series, and I fear that I'm correct in believing that it's because both teams are now playing to their true potential.

But, all hope is not lost. These are close games, and if Huet can play incredible, and we can get to Ward, there's a chance. First we'll have to generate some offence, though...

Brilliant - just what the Habs need = give the Hurricane's another power play? :rolleyes:

Yeah, let's shy off of a two-minute roughing penalty...because that carries more concequence than losing another player to a stick-inflicted injury... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by sbhatt

And they need hot goaltending to advance. Too bad we traded an MVP goaltender away who loved to carry weak teams in the 1st round.

Ah, I was waiting for the first reference to Theodore. Bad news - this game was not Huet's fault, and Theo wouldn't have won it, either.

Game was good tonight.... players played well.

Unfortunately, I tuned out of the game about half way through due to refs. I'm not a ref-whiner but tonight I just tuned out because of the unreal inconsistancy.

Just unbelievable... I don't know how to enjoy a game if its called at a substandard level like this.

....but anyway! Nice to join this forum ;D

Ah, I was waiting for the first reference to Theodore. Bad news - this game was not Huet's fault, and Theo wouldn't have won it, either.

Yeah, because he's only carried much weaker teams past the 1st round twice. Both of them All-star years.

Why not? Ha. It's not like they won't get there share anyway. Heck, they can stand in the crease at will and get no calls...

Obviously, a little toungue in cheek here.

That's the point - they can ill afford to give the Hurricanes any more advantages.

And let's be honest, Williams hasn't been intentionally dirty with his stick. These are basically careless use of the stick penalties that have been missed. - not blatant attacks with the stick. We're not talking Denis Gauthier here.....

Yeah, because he's only carried much weaker teams past the 1st round twice. Both of them All-star years.

Are you making the argument that Colorado is an all-star team right now, because if you haven't paid attention to that series, they aren't winning because of THEO they are winning despite him. He's been bad if not awful most of that series. There are only 2 reasons his team is winning 1. Great Defence and 2. Turco has been even worse than THEO.

You can trade in your jersey. I don't mind fans who are critical, but fans who call for a return of Jose have zero respect from me. You're comments are about as logical as an umbrella instead of a trapper.

Yeah, let's shy off of a two-minute roughing penalty...because that carries more concequence than losing another player to a stick-inflicted injury... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stupid penalties end up in goals far more often than not - yeah going after a guy who had 2 high sticking incidents that were not intentional really makes sense? These were careless use of the stick incidents that should have been penalized. Unfortunatelly they weren't. You can't afford to have a guy spending 2 minutes or more in the box for stupidity in the playoffs under any circumstance. And certainly not for these two scenarios.

QUOTE(Ribeiro @ Apr 28 2006, 09:57 PM)

The Habs are a lower seeded team, much weaker than Carolina. They got in because of hot goaltending (from Huet).

And they need hot goaltending to advance. Too bad we traded an MVP goaltender away who loved to carry weak teams in the 1st round.

If he had stayed they'd probably be fighting to beat the Leafs to the best tee-off times.....

Seriously, given everything that happened this year - do you really think he'd be carrying the habs's in this series? Wasn't going to happen!

good response. things were just NOT working for Théodore in Montréal. He was inconsistent, he was fighting himself, the puck, the fans, the media, his whole situation.

It was best for him and for our team that he was moved out.

Now, if you look at his game in Colorado, it's quite ordinary.

Compare these stats:

Théodore

- save % .862 = 14th overall

- goals against average 2.92 = 11th overall.

Huet

- save % of .936 = 2nd overall

- goals against average 2.33= 7th overall

who's better off? WE ARE.

Edited by shortcat1

Are you making the argument that Colorado is an all-star team right now, because if you haven't paid attention to that series, they aren't winning because of THEO they are winning despite him. He's been bad if not awful most of that series. There are only 2 reasons his team is winning 1. Great Defence and 2. Turco has been even worse than THEO.

You can trade in your jersey. I don't mind fans who are critical, but fans who call for a return of Jose have zero respect from me. You're comments are about as logical as an umbrella instead of a trapper.

Theo best days appear to be behind him and he's not giving anyone any reason to think any differently. Ribeiro's comments are curious, to say the least.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE (Ribeiro @ Apr 28 2006, 10:10 PM)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE(gohabsgo252006 @ Apr 28 2006, 09:18 PM)

Theo best days appear to be behind him and he's not giving anyone any reason to think any differently. Ribeiro's comments are curious, to say the least.

AMEN!

Ribeiro's comments (at the top of this post) aren't curious, they're :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Edited by shortcat1

What ever happened to the fans from 04 on this board?

What happened to the objective, intelligent conversations Habsworld used to have?

It's come down to most active members being fools from ESPN.com that have been banned, choosing to come here to spread their subjective, vile idiocy.

No wonder most of the other 04 members rarely ever come back anymore. It's become ridiculous.

Edited by Ribeiro

What ever happened to the fans from 04 on this board?

What happened to the objective, intelligent conversations Habsworld used to have?

It's come down to most active members being fools from ESPN.com that have been banned, choosing to come here to spread their subjective, vile idiocy.

No wonder most of the other 04 members rarely ever come back anymore. It's become ridiculous.

Guess you should find a new forum, then.

Haha, this coming from the guy who was always all alone on an island when it came to his opinion.

Though, I agree 100%. HW has seen amazing growth since the lockout ended, but my fears have been realized: too many new members has led to a much less respectful board. The Mods can only do so much.

Hey hey, calm down boys.

I'm gonna agree with Riberio here though.. lets keep it intelligent. (aka no "WE WANT THEO BACK") ;P

One poster has cited statistics, one has quoted an unbiased play-by-play guy... that's being objective.

You have cited Theo's two first round victories. Yes, that's evidence, but anyone who has seen him play, then and now, knows that he was different goalie back then. I sincerely hope he regains that form, but we haven't seen it at any point this season. Based on your remarks, I doubt whether you even watched the games tonight (Montreal, or Colorado).

Time to let your amigo go, Ribeiro!

WE WANT HACKETT BACK!!!

*sigh*

Drastic measures are needed. Gainey needs to break up the Pylon Pairing (Souray and Rivet). Instead of dressing Streit (a non-factor in games like these), he needs to dress Kostitsyn or Downey. Downey to send a message (because right now, only the young guys are doing anything of the sort - Komi and Zhogs), or Kostitsyn to get a new shooter out there.

In 2002, we were shutout in our first game vs the Canes. We came back in games 2 and 3, winning 4-1 and 2-1. Then came the fateful game 4, when Carolina rallied from 3-0 down. It went downhill from there, 5-1 and 8-2 the series clincher.

Will we drop the next 2 games? Only time will tell. Here's hoping BG has something up his sleeve.