Which Free Agent Would You Sign?

Considering the salary, which would you pick?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Defenseman

• Wade Redden
    • Zdeno Chara
    • Bryan McCabe
    • Eric Desjardins
    • Kim Johnsson
    • Ruslan Salei (cheaper)
  2. 2. Top 2 line center

• Marc Savard
    • Jason Arnott
    • Matt Cullen
    • Mike Peca
    • Doug Weight
    • Jason Allison
    • Andrew Cassels
  3. 3. Scoring winger

• Teemu Selanne
    • Eric Daze (with bonuses)
    • Jochen Hecht
    • Peter Bondra
    • Brendan Shanahan
    • Valeri Bure (if proven healthy)
    • Patrick Elias

If Ottawa doesn't resign both Redden and Chara, I would love to see one of them here. My preference is Redden: he's superior, and somehow I think he'll probably sign for less. Otherwise, if he doesn't ask for too much, we could bring back DesJardins who happens to have won a Stanley Cup here with Guy Carbonneau.

At center, I could see Arnott and Kovalev form a great duo, completed by a sppedy young guy like Perezhogin or Kostsitsyn.

If we get a scoring winger, we could take a [big] chance on either Eric Daze or Valeri Bure. He didn't get to play this year, but if Bure comes back healthy, he could be a major threat in the "new" NHL. Otherwise, we all mentionned Selanne in the past, but he won't sign for a million again; I think he'll be too risky for the money he'll demand.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about Zdeno!

Like I mentionned before on this board, I'm not entirely sold on Chara, and considering since he's asking for franchise-player money (maximum allowed next season, so about 8M), I would stay away from him. Now don't get me wrong, I would sign Chara in a heartbeat if he was asking for maybe 4.5M, but he's just not worth the salary of true franchise defensemen like Niedermayer, Pronger, and Lidstrom.

People talk about him like he's a Norris trophy recipient, but he'll never win it. He hardly scores 40 points on an offensive powerhouse like the Senators, and without those high scoring Sens teams, he wouldn't have those very high +/- ratios either. In fact, with the Sens struggling with injuries, Chara was actually a -1 since between January and the end of the season.

Redden is the true gem of Ottawa's blueline, and I hope [for them] they'll be smart enough to resign him before Chara. With that said, Zdeno does bring that huge, intimidating physical presence that very few others bring, which we could really use; I can just imagine what a Chara-Komisarek duo would be like!!!

I don't really like any of those Free Agent choices.

Neither Redden or Chara will be coming here. And neithe will sign a contract for less than $6.5 Million a year.

They are both Norris quality defensman, and are worth every penny. Montreal will not commit that much to a single player. They can't afford to without dumping more salary, and not bumping up the cap. Montreal will not spend more than $39 to $40 Million, based on a $43 Million cap....best guess.

I don't like Arnott. He has his first good year this year, production wise, other than 1 year in New Jersey and his rookie year. He totally bombed in the playoffs, and when Modano had to leave the one game for a period and a half and had to pick up his game he completley dissappeared. Not exactly the kinda player Montreal needs.

If there going to go out and get a defensman I'd prefer they get one of the lower profile guys if they are still around. A guy like Willie Mitchell, Dany Markov, Pavel Kubina, Philip Kuba or maybe Paul Mara.

What this team needs is a top line center. NOw thats not available through free agency, and probably not through trade either.

I'm not sure what Gainey is going to do? He seems to be letting on that they have money to spend, but from that list if you had to pick somebody I'd go with Elias. Montreal doesn't need another winger, but he brings the most offensively to the table, while still being a great two way player.

BUt he won't be coming here either cause he's going to command around $6 Million a year. Some GM..(Toronto comes to mind) will give him that kind of money.

Which of those free agents speaks french?

:P just kidding tabarnak!

criss té pas drole :lol:

I would love elias or chara

does anybody knows martin lapointe'S salary??...would look good if the rice tag's not too high

This will be a big topic, i agree on Redden and Chara being too expensive. Maybe Jovonaski, Kubina, Mitchell more of a second teer defensemen or 2. My preference is 2 D. The 2 things that D need to do in the new NHL is skate and pass the puck. The current core of D don't do it. getting D who can skate and move the puck wuickly will help the offensive.

Centers: Briere, Arnott or Peca. (I wouldn't over pay for them). I think the young wingers are fine. With Kostitsyn coming in and Plex, Higgins, Perez the Center position will help increase this team's ability to score.

I wouldn't want Chara because of the salary he'll demand, but I just remembered he played with Souray during the lock-out last year... and they were huge fan favorites. I also noticed I forgot Ed Jovanovski and Jay McKee, who could be available and interesting candidates for Montreal...

I wouldn't consider Jovanovski a 2nd tier defensman. He was hurt this year. He'll make around $6 Million this year as well. Too much for the Habs.

Daniel Briere could be interesting. But I would imagine Buffalo will be quick to resign him. Buffalo has a huge amount of cap space (Atleast $15 Million) and very little in the way of unrestricted free agents. They have a new owner with Galisano, who is a Billionaire, and he isn't shy about upping the payroll. If he does...Buffalo could be a powerhouse next year. I think Buffalo may be in the running for Redden, Chara or Jovanovski if they happen to hit the free agent market

What's really sad is that we'll be paying Souray (2.356M), Bonk (2.394M), and Zednik (1.976M) just about what it would cost to sign Wade Redden, and more than it would cost to sign Ed Jovanovski (I agree, definitely not a 2nd tier defenseman). Either would be a huge upgrade over Souray, while we would have no difficulty replacing the other 2...

Unfortunately, although I'm sure we could find a way to deal away Ribeiro, Aebischer, Zednik, and Souray without too much difficulty, with the salary cap, we're stuck with Bonk.

What's really sad is that we'll be paying Souray (2.356M), Bonk (2.394M), and Zednik (1.976M) just about what it would cost to sign Wade Redden, and more than it would cost to sign Ed Jovanovski (I agree, definitely not a 2nd tier defenseman). Either would be a huge upgrade over Souray, while we would have no difficulty replacing the other 2...

Unfortunately, although I'm sure we could find a way to deal away Ribeiro, Aebischer, Zednik, and Souray without too much difficulty, with the salary cap, we're stuck with Bonk.

I don't really have a problem paying Souray $2.4 Million. I don't expect him to be great defensively, and he's pretty good offensively. I think Montreal gets good value for $2.4 Million. When his contract comes up, some team will pay him around $4 million. Justitified or not.

As for Zednik and Bonk. If either or both could be delt, I'd be all for it. But I don't think there is much of a market for them. Bonk is serviceable as a center, you can never have to many.

Higgins, Perezhogin, Ryder, Kostitsyn and Kovalev push Zednik to 3rd line status and even there you'd get better value with Murray and Downey.

With that said, Zdeno does bring that huge, intimidating physical presence that very few others bring,

Few others are nearly 7 feet high on skates either.

:hlogo:

let's say we sign redden or chara...who's the odd man out ??

bouillon, souray, markov ??

I think souray or markov could be dealt even though I like them both. the more I see it, the more I see markov out of montreal... he's you're looking for the perfect trade bait..there he is.

that said, we would need to bring in a guy who could log on 20-25 min/gm

I only meant Jovonaski as a second teer player due to the injuries and wouldn't get paid as much. If he became a habs, he would obviously be the best talented D on the squad. I totally agree about Souray being overpaid, take away power play points and he has 5 more goals then i did this year. I would move 1 or 2 of Rivet, Souray and Bouillon.

I like the Komisarek Markov paring, a solid 3 and 4. Bouillon and Dandy a fairly solid 5 and 6. The upgrade needs to be on the top end talent.

let's say we sign redden or chara...who's the odd man out ??

bouillon, souray, markov ??

I think souray or markov could be dealt even though I like them both. the more I see it, the more I see markov out of montreal... he's you're looking for the perfect trade bait..there he is.

that said, we would need to bring in a guy who could log on 20-25 min/gm

Markov?????? bad move! BAD MOVE!!!!!!

Markov?????? bad move! BAD MOVE!!!!!!

not if we get some good in return

I only meant Jovonaski as a second teer player due to the injuries and wouldn't get paid as much. If he became a habs, he would obviously be the best talented D on the squad. I totally agree about Souray being overpaid, take away power play points and he has 5 more goals then i did this year. I would move 1 or 2 of Rivet, Souray and Bouillon.

I like the Komisarek Markov paring, a solid 3 and 4. Bouillon and Dandy a fairly solid 5 and 6. The upgrade needs to be on the top end talent.

Souray isn't bad, but he isn't great. He's really not that good offensively (besides that booming although innacurate shot), and defensively he's not suited for the new NHL. Now let's say that by some miracle we get to sign Wade Redden, and by some other miracle we do find a way to deal Bonk, Zednik, and Souray (in one or more moves), then without spending more money our defense would instead look like this:

Redden-Komisarek

Markov-Rivet

Bouillon-Dandeneault

That top 4 would be just as good as anybody else's in the league, and in the playoffs this season, it could have made the difference between losing 4 one-goal games, and scoring those few extra powerplay goals to win the series. So I think that getting that top-tier defenseman (while keeping Markov) could make a huge difference for this team. Offensively, we have the kids to takeover, although a proven top 2 center would be great as well (could we trade Aebischer, Souray, and Ribeiro for the rights to Richards? would they consider it? I doubt it seriously... and would we risk the trade biting us back in the you-know-what during the season or during the playoffs?)

It's fun to dream... getting rid of our garbage to instead get Redden and Richards... if the Sharks got Thornton for so little, maybe we have a chance... :rolleyes:

Winger, I'd take Elias out of that group. D, I'd take Redden first (followed by McCabe). C is a tougher choice. Savard is an interesting option, and had he not been run out of Calgary, they'd have the setup man for Iginla that they're searching for. For me, it either comes down to Savard (and there's no chance Gainey goes after this type of player, in my opinion) or Arnott. And for all of the Arnott rumours out there, I would pretty much say that eliminates him from coming to Montreal. More likely is a trade for someone not on that list, but I guess that means not a free agent, eh? :D

I don't like McCabe. He's just looking for a big paycheque. I don't see him being any better than Souray. Big Shot, good on the powerplay, but bad defensively. McCabe wants $5 Million or so. Souray makes $2.4 Million.

Who would you rather have?

The Habs have roughly 11 players under contract for $24.5 Million (Dandeanult, Markov, Rivet, Souray, Zednik, Koivu, Kovalev, Plekanec, Begin & Bonk, Kostitsyn)

Higgins ($1 Million average for 3 years, I would say he probably made $800 K or so with his rookie contract)

Perezhogin ($850,000)

Murray ($700,000)

Downey($650,000)

Komisarek ($ 1 Million avg over 3 years)

Bouillon ($1.1 Million)

Ryder ($2 Million avg over 3 years)

Huet ($2 Million)

Yann Danis ($850,000)

So thats 20 Players at $34,600,000 roughly. Assuming a salary cap of $43 Million that leaves $8,400,000.

But really Gainey and company will not want to spend more than $40 Million at the most because they'll want cap room to play with come trade deadline next year, and injury replacement.

So really there is only $5 Million to play with.

Of course you have to get rid of Aebischer and Ribeiro (no salary cap savings). And ideally find new homes for Zednik and Bonk which would free up another $4 million, but that won't be easy to do. Not too mention it messes with team chemistry.

Marc Savard could be the playmaker Kovalev needs to repeat his past success. Yes, some say Savard is overrated and he only has good numbers because of Bondra, Kovalchuk, Hossa et al but is Kovy that much worse than these guys? If he were consistant then he'd probably be the best player in the league. Atleast offensively. So why not find a nice playmaker and give it a go? I'm sure a Kostitsyn could complete that line nicely.

Wow! Three polls in a row! My votes are all in the lead...

Nice to be old and wise. :D

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Marc Savard could be the playmaker Kovalev needs to repeat his past success. Yes, some say Savard is overrated and he only has good numbers because of Bondra, Kovalchuk, Hossa et al but is Kovy that much worse than these guys? If he were consistant then he'd probably be the best player in the league. Atleast offensively. So why not find a nice playmaker and give it a go? I'm sure a Kostitsyn could complete that line nicely.

might as well keep rIbs instead..he's the same type of player as savard. savard aslo carries a bad reputation. given the fact that he's undersized, why would we want him ??

he just doesn't bring anything new

peca would be nice but he would be a 3rd line center. and I 'm sure the price will be really high for his contribution