Spector's Rumor - Aebischer To Tampa

Theberge43

Sheldon Souray has played in an All-star game. Im aware that Souray isn't great in the defense but hockey is about scoring goals and as far as I know Sheldon Souray scored 12. Just 4 less than Richard Zednik and whom do you rather have on the blueline?

Well I have to question how much you know about the Montreal Canadiens and hockey in general considering Richard Zednik is a forward, not a defensman. So I'd have to think I wouldn't want Richard Zednik playing defense

player that has openly said that he was thinking about leaving Tampa as a free agent.

If they lose Lecavalier they need to fill that second line with another center. Mike Ribeiro. Same age, same playing style but not expensive.

And if that's not enough Tampa can have the freedom to choose. Richard Zednik, Matt Dandenault or a 3rd round pick.

If your talking about Lecavalier leaving Tampa as a free agent thats totally wrong. He wants to play there and thats why he signed the long term agreement. He loves Florida and wants to play there. He admitted that he thought about playing in Montreal as all French Canadians do, but ultimatley decided he liked Tampa

Mike Ribeiro and Lecavalier are not similar in anyway, especially in playing styles. Lecavalier is a huge physical presence, who scores goals, while being a very good playmaker.

Ribeiro passes the puck well. THats about it.

And theres no way Tampa would consider any of Zednik, Dandenault or a 3rd round pick. Well they would consider a 3rd round pick, but that would be a throw in.

For point #1, no way he keeps both. A 2.5M$ back up is terrible under a cap system. Besides, they both want to play 50 games, so it wouldn't be a good idea, and I don't want to lose Danis, who as the potential to be a very good backup in the NHL.

For point #2:

Toronto (you're right, never going to happen)

Washington (Kolzig is under coontract and still has a few years left, there not going for a replacement yet, they would be interested in a prospect goalie, but not Aebi)

Nashville (last news was that Vokoun would be fine and Mason is a good young goalie)

Columbus (Leclaire and Denis are doing fine)

Chicago (who will want Khabi?)

St-Louis (there's a team in need of a goalie, they have 2 good young guys, their #2 and 6 prospects per Hockeysfuture site, but probably not ready and in need of a good experienced goalie)

Edmonton (depend on Roloson)

Vancouver (they have Auld who did well but not great when Cloutier was hurt, depends on their intentions, but they also have a cap issue, so I think they're going to go with Auld)

Phoenix (just resigned Joseph, so I doubt there's any interest there)

Minnesota (Fernandez is solid and better then Aebi, so no possibilities there)

You forgot:

Detroit (they want to replace Legace and need a cheap solution because of cap issues - definetly a possibility)

There are not that many teams in need of a goalie, 5 or 6 top. TB, St-Louis and Detroit being the most desperate probably. I never did this full analysis before, but Anaheim (Guigere) and San Jose (Nabokov) might find it hard to trade their high priced goalies this summer. Most teams looking for a goalie are looking for a cheap affordable one. I think that Aebi and Biron will be the most desired ones, good for us :D

Kolzig is old and been the subject of rumours for a long time. Rumours have it that Washinton is looking for a younger goalie. They have the cap room, yet don't want someone too expensive.

Leclaire is not doing as fine as you think. Rumours abounded last year about bust type status for him. He'll get alot of playing time this year if he remains healthy. But Columbus will be looking. Its about time they made the playoffs, the natives are getting restless.

As for who would want Khabibulan? WHo wanted Jose Theodore. Tampa could swing a deal, Khabibulan for St. Louis...similar contracts.

Vacouver is a messs. Auld is out. Thats why they went after Noranen. And he's probably not the answer either.

And I can't imagine that Detroit would want Aebischer. They've seen enough of him with Colorado to know that he's not a guy who can take them anywhere. Legace will get them threw another year.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolzig is old and been the subject of rumours for a long time. Rumours have it that Washinton is looking for a younger goalie. They have the cap room, yet don't want someone too expensive.

Leclaire is not doing as fine as you think. Rumours abounded last year about bust type status for him. He'll get alot of playing time this year if he remains healthy. But Columbus will be looking. Its about time they made the playoffs, the natives are getting restless.

As for who would want Khabibulan? WHo wanted Jose Theodore. Tampa could swing a deal, Khabibulan for St. Louis...similar contracts.

Vacouver is a messs. Auld is out. Thats why they went after Noranen. And he's probably not the answer either.

And I can't imagine that Detroit would want Aebischer. They've seen enough of him with Colorado to know that he's not a guy who can take them anywhere. Legace will get them threw another year.

Kolzig signed a 2 year deal for 10.9M$ in February, I don't where you got your rumors from or if you were unaware of his new contract, but Washington is definetly a no-no.

Rumors were for Denis because Leclaire was doing fine. He's only 23 and he had a 0.911% save %, if that's a bust, I would like him as a bust. Denis' stats are not as good and he's older (28), if one is on the market, its him, not Leclaire who is their future. Anyways, they're keeping both for now. Leclaire will get tested a lot this year and Denis will play the veteran back-up. They're not making the playoffs because of the quality of their team, not the goalies.

As for Khabi, I'm willing to bet the farm that nobody wants him. Why would TB take on an extra 1.5M$ on their cap by trading St-Louis for Khabi when there are plenty of cheaper solutions? As for Theo, BG was amazing pulling that one off. Besides, Theo is 1.5M$ cheaper, younger and one less year remaining on his contarct, not that comparable.

Auld was is first year as #1 goalie. He's 25 and had a 2.75 GAA and a 0.907 SV%, not that bad for a first crack at #1 job. Besides, Vancouver wants to resign Jovo, they have to resign Carter and the Sedin twins who will all cost a lot. They are like TB, no cap room. Aebi is not a huge upgrade on Auld and I don't think that they will spend cash on a goalie.

As for Detroit, you're right, Aebi is probably not their #1 choice (probably Biron), but you never know, Biron might end up somewhere else. As for Legace staying another year, there are zillions of reports and rumors that they want to replace him, they would only keep him as a backup.

Detroit would take Aebischer. You guys are right, he's not a cup-winning goalie and is never going to be but put the right mix of talent around him and he could win. Take Ottawa for example, I think they would've gone further with Aebischer then with Emery. Aebischer was, though, always huge against Detroit. I still remember two diving stick saves in the same game on Brett Hull. Plus they'd just want to piss us Avs fans off by taking him.

And for St.Louis, I don't think they're in need of a goalie. When they had Curtis Sanford, before, he got injured, they went on that big winning streak. IIRC, it was 5 wins in a row? He was their star for the second half of the season so I expect them to give him a shot before they go out and get a goalie. I still think they need to dump Lalime's contract first (is he still under contract).

Vancouver will ride with Auld and Noronen out of the gate, they need to deal Cloutier before the trade FOR a goaltender. All the fans seem to be happy with Auld anyway. Bertuzzi and Morrison seem to be the #1 concerns for that team right now.

Roloson will be back in Edmonton, it doesn't matter what he wants. As long as he doesn't go for the max (and he knows he can't) he'll be back. Lowe can use Kipprusoff as a bargaining chip, pulled off the exact same thing and Sutter signed him to a 3.5 mil deal.

Washington is possible actually. There were rumors starting from the 2003 offseason to the Theo trade that the Caps were interested in a Kolzig/Aebischer deal (even after he signed his contract, we all thought the rumors were done there). Who knows, maybe they still are?

Minnesota could work, I personally think Aebischer is better then Fernandez but Aebischer just doesn't seem to fit Lemaire's style. I don't think hes as technically sound as Fernandez. Yeesh, thats almost a contradiction.

In the end, I could see Detroit, Tampa Bay and Washington as possibilites. I don't think Aebischer will be dealt until probably August though, everyone will try to free agent market first. I won't be surprised to see Aebischer back next season, as unhappy as that would make him.

Regarding Columbus:

kaos: The organization is thrilled with LeClaire's developement this season. After the Olympic break, despite injuries to Foote and other defenseman, he put up a decen 2.64 GAA with a stellat .925 SV%. On the season, his numbers were actually better than those of Denis. I love Marc Denis, but LeClaire is not far from being the #1 goalie. They will start the season with a rotation, but LeClaire will be getting the majority of the starts.

Komisarek the Cruncher: If you think the Blue Jackets are not a playoff team, then I am curious as to what you think of the Habs' chances next season. With Nash healthy for a full year, Zherdev with a full season under his belt, and Fedorov growing with his new team, that is an extremely dangerous first line. Brule showed great skill, so if he can stay healthy he will be dangerous. They have a good 3rd line who can fly and play both ways. If they can find a LW (perhaps Alex Picard) to play with Brule and Vyborny, this team is going to score goals.

On defence, they've got Foote, Berard, Hainsey, Klesla, Suchy, and Westcott. The first four are quite good, and I compare Westcott to Boullion: not many people know about him, but he gets the job done. If they can bring in a UFA or if Aaron Johnson is ready to replace Suchy, they have a solid defense.

The Blue Jackets were supposed to contend last season, but Nash's injury led to the team getting off to an awful start. Once he was healthy and in playing shape, they were an above .500 team. I think they should be able to grab up a 7 or 8 seed next season.

Unless the Habs make some upgrades, I think the same thing about them.

Yeah after the olympic break is all fine and dandy but its a short snap shot of the season.

The guy was 11-15 with a 3.23 GAA and 0.921 Save %.

Fedorov is a plug. Too old. He doesn't have much left to offer Columbus.

And while Zherdev is an exciting young prospect, I personally like him and think he'll be an excellent young talent he has yet to break out.

Well there really isn't much else to talk about at the current moment, so we are all probably making it a little more exciting than it needs to be.

Edited by kaos

Yeah after the olympic break is all fine and dandy but its a short snap shot of the season.

The guy was 11-15 with a 3.23 GAA and 0.921 Save %.

Fedorov is a plug. Too old. He doesn't have much left to offer Columbus.

And while Zherdev is an exciting young prospect, I personally like him and think he'll be an excellent young talent he has yet to break out.

While it is, indeed, only a short part fo the season, it shows how much the team grew over the year and what they are capable of. And not only that, but Berard and Foote missed a lot of time during that span, so they could have been even better.

I think Fedorov can still bring a lot to the team. Playing on a line with Nash and Zherdev, he doesn't have to be the superstar anymore. The focus won't be on him. After spending a lot of time with his teammates, he put up 17 points in 22 games after the Olympic break. Not great, but still a valuable player.

Also, the key thing he brings to the team is a mentor to Zherdev. Zherdev's effort and defensive play increased dramatically after Feds arrived. Zherdev is an incredible talent. I haven't seen anyone in the playoffs who can match his stickhandling. The man is a magician, and most people who talk about him compare his skill level to Alex Kovalev. Nice praise for a youngster.

When I think Zherdev, the first word that comes to my mind is magician. (Funny that fanpuck should use it.) Even at his age I think he may be the best stickhandler in the world. Columbus has all the building blocks in place (along with a high 1st this year who I think will be the fantastic Peter Mueller) to be one of the best teams in the NHL in a couple of seasons. MacLean took some gambles and they paid off.

About Holmqvist - I think he'll get atleast a small shot at stealing the starting job this season. I'm not sure he'll do it though but it can happen.

About Lecavalier - I also think it would (or should) include a prospect/high pick in the package. I doubt he comes here though and I agree that he's overrated.

Regarding Columbus:

kaos: The organization is thrilled with LeClaire's developement this season. After the Olympic break, despite injuries to Foote and other defenseman, he put up a decen 2.64 GAA with a stellat .925 SV%. On the season, his numbers were actually better than those of Denis. I love Marc Denis, but LeClaire is not far from being the #1 goalie. They will start the season with a rotation, but LeClaire will be getting the majority of the starts.

Komisarek the Cruncher: If you think the Blue Jackets are not a playoff team, then I am curious as to what you think of the Habs' chances next season. With Nash healthy for a full year, Zherdev with a full season under his belt, and Fedorov growing with his new team, that is an extremely dangerous first line. Brule showed great skill, so if he can stay healthy he will be dangerous. They have a good 3rd line who can fly and play both ways. If they can find a LW (perhaps Alex Picard) to play with Brule and Vyborny, this team is going to score goals.

On defence, they've got Foote, Berard, Hainsey, Klesla, Suchy, and Westcott. The first four are quite good, and I compare Westcott to Boullion: not many people know about him, but he gets the job done. If they can bring in a UFA or if Aaron Johnson is ready to replace Suchy, they have a solid defense.

The Blue Jackets were supposed to contend last season, but Nash's injury led to the team getting off to an awful start. Once he was healthy and in playing shape, they were an above .500 team. I think they should be able to grab up a 7 or 8 seed next season.

Unless the Habs make some upgrades, I think the same thing about them.

I was talking about this year for Columbus (the team didn't make the playoffs, it wasn't the goalies fault who did a decent job), not about next year and their future. The team was not ready to burst out and make the playoffs this year, but I agree, they have a decent chance next year, but it won't be easy. I agree with most of your comments except Fedorov, yes he can contribute, but just a little, I would not mention him as a plus for the team, like Ribs can contribute a little, but I would not mention him a plus for the team.

Personnaly, I think that Habs have a better team then Columbus, so yes I think that the Habs will easily make the playoffs next year.

I was talking about this year for Columbus (the team didn't make the playoffs, it wasn't the goalies fault who did a decent job), not about next year and their future. The team was not ready to burst out and make the playoffs this year, but I agree, they have a decent chance next year, but it won't be easy. I agree with most of your comments except Fedorov, yes he can contribute, but just a little, I would not mention him as a plus for the team, like Ribs can contribute a little, but I would not mention him a plus for the team.

Personnaly, I think that Habs have a better team then Columbus, so yes I think that the Habs will easily make the playoffs next year.

The Habs easily have a better team than Columbus. More depth on Defense, and more depth and talent up front. While Montreal doesn't have anyone that can match Rich Nash, and probably Zherdev (we'll wait and see with Kostitsyn), Columbus's offense falls off drastically after that. Montreal can generally roll 3 + line each night.

The Habs easily have a better team than Columbus. More depth on Defense, and more depth and talent up front. While Montreal doesn't have anyone that can match Rich Nash, and probably Zherdev (we'll wait and see with Kostitsyn), Columbus's offense falls off drastically after that. Montreal can generally roll 3 + line each night.

I would say that Kovalev can match Zherdev, in fact, I prefer Kovalev. But your right, we have more depth at all positions, and they don't have a Markov to match us at D like we don't have a Nash.

Being from Ohio and being able to watch all the Jackets games, I think I know quite a lot about the team. I think they are very similar to the Canadiens.

First offensive line: Nash-Fedorov-Zherdev vs. Higgins-Koivu-Ryder. I'd say the advantage goes to the Jackets, who have two world class kids and a future hall of famer. Koivu brings great leadership, but I see Feds matching his offensive production, especially given who he is playing with and the fact that he has developed chemistry with them.

Second offensive line: ???-?Brule?-Vyborny vs. ?Kosty/Perez?-???-Kovalev. We'll call this one even, in case Ribs is back, hehe. Kovalev is obviosuly the best of the bunch, but both teams have major questions on their 2nd line. Neither are for sure who will play LW or C. The Habs have some talented kids who might be ready to take the job and the Jackets have Brule who scored great skill last year, but couldn't handle the NHL physically. Vyborny is an underrated player, has good vision and is a solid penalty killer. Jan Hrdina didn't work out for the Jackets, he's got to be gone.

Third Line: Chimera-Malhotra-Letowski vs. Plekanec-Bonk-Zednik?. Again, I'm gonna call it even. Habs will have the edge if Bonk and Zednik play to their potential and Pleks keeps up the good work. Still, Columbus' third line has a good combination of speed and two-way play. All three players picked up their production once the line was formed. And honestly, Jason Chimera can fly.

Fourth Line: Shelley-Fritsche-Rupp vs. ???-Begin-Murray. I give the edge to the Habs on this one. Fritsche has the same energy as Begin, but Begin plays a game much more suited to the 4th line. If Fritsche developes, it won't be as a 4th liner. Shelley is a tough guy who can hold his own on defence and Rupp is just big.

Defence: Foote and Markov are both good enough to play for their National teams. Berard and Souray are both liabilities in their own end but can QB a powerplay. I'll give the edge to Klesla over Rivet, as he finally showed signs this year of being the player they expected when they made him the first ever pick for the team. Boullion and Westcott I think are very similar. Most people don't know them, but they get the job done. I'll give the edge to Dandy over Hainsey. Dandy impressed me in the playoffs, but Hainsey showed signs this year of why he was a high draft pick. Dandy is more fundamentally sounds and more experienced. I'll give the edge to Komisarek over Suchy because Mike turned up his game, while Suchy was the Jackets worst D-man this season.

Goalies: Huet has the edge if this last half season wasn't a fluke. But LeClaire and Denis are a good tandem, and with a team playing better in front of them, they are more than capable of putting up good numbers.

Depth: The Habs have more depth at forward, while the Jackets have more depth on defence.

I think these teams are more similar than people would like to think. The Habs have the overall edge, because they've been a playoff team 3 of the last 4 years and the pressure is still on the Jackets to do the same. However, I think both teams have needs that must be addressed before they become contenders.

Good analysis, but I don't agrre that Fedorov brings as much as Koivu. Captain K is superior, a future all famer doesn't mean that he's still good. Put Koivu on that line and he would do a much better job then Fedorov.

I think that the Habs second line is superior. Kovalev by himself just makes it superior. Brule is a promising kid, but far from having proven anything. Besides, I know BG will get us a much beter center then Ribs.

Same for the 3rd line. We probably have Kost or Perez droping on that line from not making the 2nd line. Not a whole lot better, but better.

Markov is superior then Foote. Foote is no longuer the great player he was. He's going to turn 35 this summer and had a -16 rating this year vs. +17 for Markov.

Bouillon is superior to Westcott. If it wasn't for is injury at the end of the season, Bouillon would have finished in the top 10, maybe even top 5, in the league for block shots and hits, Westcott doesn't bring that much to the table.

We are not that much superior, but we are at every position.

Agreed. I like Columbus, I think they'll replace Detroit as the consistent division winner in about 5 years time, but next year, no.

Our 1st might not be as good (although bringing in Lecavalier or Bertuzzi wouldn't go amiss), our 2nd, 3rd and 4th are. Defence and Goal are similar, but Habs would take out the series should we play them.

And hopefully both clubs continue to grow, and become division winners soon.

Sounds a lot like Koivu, except for the dimensions.

But he's (Lecavalier) won a Stanley Cup

Never won a Stanley Cup. Not even close. Horrible Playoff performer as well. Patrick Marleau carried this team this year

The rest of this is just about the worst post in this thread. Just plain garbage. Obviosuly you know little of hockey.

Aebischer and Ribeiro is enough for Lecavalier...Laugh my ass off pal!!!!!!!

Yeah I would say Tampa's goalie signing effectively kills the Lecavalier talk. Looks like they'll try and go with an inexperienced goalie and replacate the success of Philly and the NY Rangers.

These were Kaos responses and I'm too lazy to break it all down according to how he broke down mine so:

1) I don't really care if Lecavalier won a cup and Thornton didn't. This is a team sport and only goalies, or era changing players(a la Gretzky, Richard, etc) can carry teams on their backs to Stanley Cups. Frankly, I wouldn't want Thornton either...but I'll give the guy credit as being heads above Lecavalier. It's not even something you should attempt to argue. Any further comments you made about comparing T-bay vs. Boston's teams is garbage...look what Boston has without Thornton.

2) I also don't much care if you think I know little about hockey...I'm pretty certain I know a fair bit about the game AND I'm not a giant homer...

3) I never said Aebischer and Ribeiro straight up...I said they were almost worth enough and that we'd have to include a pick/prospect. If we're throwing around young players in the "new NHL" let's remember that they carry A LOT of cheap, good, value to a team like T-bay.

4) Yeah, because that goalie is the answer to all their problems...lmao...and you said I know little about hockey?? There is no way that they can put their entire season on this goalies back and feel confident...and yes, I do think the guy has some talent, but no one makes this move with the talent they have, at the age of their talent, and expects it to pan out.

Francophone Montreal fans go crazy for Lecavalier but he's not worth trading half our depth, prospects and picks for...but hey, don't take my word...I apparently don't watch enough hockey to know that one good C can get you a Stanley cup. Just ask Forsberg this year he's got it locked up...

These were Kaos responses and I'm too lazy to break it all down according to how he broke down mine so:

2) I also don't much care if you think I know little about hockey...I'm pretty certain I know a fair bit about the game AND I'm not a giant homer...

3) I never said Aebischer and Ribeiro straight up...I said they were almost worth enough and that we'd have to include a pick/prospect. If we're throwing around young players in the "new NHL" let's remember that they carry A LOT of cheap, good, value to a team like T-bay.

4) Yeah, because that goalie is the answer to all their problems...lmao...and you said I know little about hockey?? There is no way that they can put their entire season on this goalies back and feel confident...and yes, I do think the guy has some talent, but no one makes this move with the talent they have, at the age of their talent, and expects it to pan out.

LMFOA!!! I nominate you for president of the "no Homers" club!

Give Vinny a couple of years.. it'd be nice if he was in Montreal when he hits his stride

lol lazy26...I just reread that and had to laugh at myself. I guess I should have expanded that to say I'm not a giant homer like many francophones are with regards to Lecavalier.

Kaos, 4 days ago? I work a lot and post when I can. If I have to dredge up a 4 day old post to respond to someone taking a shot at me I will...if you can't remember that far back then stop smoking the green.

lol lazy26...I just reread that and had to laugh at myself. I guess I should have expanded that to say I'm not a giant homer like many francophones are with regards to Lecavalier.

Kaos, 4 days ago? I work a lot and post when I can. If I have to dredge up a 4 day old post to respond to someone taking a shot at me I will...if you can't remember that far back then stop smoking the green.

Get used to it. He's always grumbling about something. :P

No explanation necessary! Just loved the snarky comment, and it made me think of the "no Homers" club from 'the Simpsons'...

Perhaps Edmonton will now be interested in a goalie.

Roloson suffering a 3rd degree sprain of the knee at 36 years of age isn't good, and theres no guarantee he'll recover. Conklin and Markanen have proven they aren't capable of holding down the job. Devan Dubnyk is years away from being ready and there really isn't anybody else that is NHL ready for them.

Roloson is unrestricted as well, and whats the going rate for a 36 year old goalie who's just blown out his knee?

I would imagine the Edmonton rumours would be starting shortly after they drop the series final

Frankly, I wouldn't want Thornton either...but I'll give the guy credit as being heads above Lecavalier. It's not even something you should attempt to argue.

I'll argue you because your statement is wrong Zow. Thornton, for all his offensive stats, is a mentally-challenged player who always chokes under pressure. When he's not supremely undiscipline, he just dissapear. Let's not compare Boston (where Thornton choked embarassingly in the playoffs twice) and Tampa. Let's not even compare San Jose and Tampa.

Let's just compare Thornton and Lecavalier when they played on the same team: Team Canada. Lecavalier outplayed by far Thornton in all occasions.

So the irony of your statement is that it's actually "head" that makes Lecavalier superior to Thornton. I thought you'd know that. Or maybe you're just an Anglophone homer about Thornton? ;)

Beside, the ultimate test has been passed by Lecavalier: he's been on a cover of an EA Sports NHL game, something Thornton haven't achieved yet! :P

Edited by KoZed

You work alot eh? BUt you have all the time in the world to look through four days of posts? lol....you are a homer.

Get used to it. He's always grumbling about something. :P

Well thats good, you almost contributed something there. Keep trying, you'll get it.

I'll argue you because your statement is wrong Zow. Thornton, for all his offensive stats, is a mentally-challenged player who always chokes under pressure. When he's not supremely undiscipline, he just dissapear. Let's not compare Boston (where Thornton choked embarassingly in the playoffs twice) and Tampa. Let's not even compare San Jose and Tampa.

Let's just compare Thornton and Lecavalier when they played on the same team: Team Canada. Lecavalier outplayed by far Thornton in all occasions.

So the irony of your statement is that it's actually "head" that makes Lecavalier superior to Thornton. I thought you'd know that. Or maybe you're just an Anglophone homer about Thornton? ;)

Beside, the ultimate test has been passed by Lecavalier: he's been on a cover of an EA Sports NHL game, something Thornton haven't achieved yet! :P

Very good point. Thornton definitley plays better in the regular season, and will outpoint Lecavalier, but when the games really count, Lecavalier steps up bigger, and is the guy I would rather have