Spector's Rumor - Aebischer To Tampa

Theberge43

You guys play too much fantasy GM on your PS2's and XBox's. These possible deals are ridiculous. As is anyone wanting LeCavalier at that cost... players which would be traded... or the contract he has. Lots of guys have Stanley Cup rings... it doesn't mean we want or need them. Brisebois anyone? Exactly!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markov, Zednik, Bonk for Lecavalier would pretty much be the same...

However... we can't afford to let Markov go, unless Redden is beggin us to sign him for under 4M :P

Exactly...but drop Zednik and Bonk, Tampa wouldn't take them. So the starting point would be Markov, then throw in Aebischer and a pick or prospect.

No thanks.

The #1 factor driving the rumours that Tampa is possibly shopping Lecavalier and St. Louis is money!!!!!

This is a team that has far too much cash tied up in 3 players under the present salary cap system.

Money talks loud anytime, but even louder when you have spending limitations.

If they plan to build a nucleus around Richards as some indicate, then they will be looking for fast young guns who can skate in the new NHL. No speed = no interest.

Tampa has put a gun to it's own head and has to move some of that cap space now......

As for Lecavalier in a Habs uniform - I'd have to say I'm not interested in the least bit.

While Quebec may want him to come home, I personally think it may be the worst possible destination for him.

I think he'll end up like so many native sons who came home, only to hugely regret their decision to do so?

He's not a franchise player(if he was then Tampa wouldn't be moving him.)

He's good, but not that good!

Edited by beliveau1

As for Lecavalier in a Habs uniform - I'd have to say I'm not interested in the least bit.

While Quebec may want him to come home, I personally think it may be the worst possible destination for him.

I think he'll end up like so many native sons who came home, only to hugely regret their decision to do so?

He's not a franchise player(if he was then Tampa wouldn't be moving him.)

He's good, but not that good!

I like to compare Lecavalier to Damphousse. Everyone expected him to breakout in Toronto, then in Edmonton, but then the Habs traded for him. Then he came out and scored 40 goals and 97 points for the Habs before the franchises started going downhill.

Now I don't know if Lecavalier can ever consistently score 95-100 points, but anytime an Olympian in his prime can be had, why not try to make a package for him?

I like to compare Lecavalier to Damphousse. Everyone expected him to breakout in Toronto, then in Edmonton, but then the Habs traded for him. Then he came out and scored 40 goals and 97 points for the Habs before the franchises started going downhill.

Now I don't know if Lecavalier can ever consistently score 95-100 points, but anytime an Olympian in his prime can be had, why not try to make a package for him?

It's hard to put a finger on what it is sometimes, but there is an aura to certain players that just says 'not a good fit at home in Quebec' about them. I think Lecavalier reeks of that aura - he'd get far too much hype and adulation for his ego to handle the negative downsides of it?

He's not worth the contract or the cost to acquire him. People are excited about him mainly because he's a hometown favourite. While the Habs may need a franchise player, he doesn't have to be a francophone to fill the role.

Gainey's call in the end, but I think he's not the best answer to the problem.

Glad I'm not in charge. Gainey will not fold to the pressure though, and that's a very good thing.

It's hard to put a finger on what it is sometimes, but there is an aura to certain players that just says 'not a good fit at home in Quebec' about them. I think Lecavalier reeks of that aura - he'd get far too much hype and adulation for his ego to handle the negative downsides of it?

He's not worth the contract or the cost to acquire him. People are excited about him mainly because he's a hometown favourite. While the Habs may need a franchise player, he doesn't have to be a francophone to fill the role.

Gainey's call in the end, but I think he's not the best answer to the problem.

Glad I'm not in charge. Gainey will not fold to the pressure though, and that's a very good thing.

I can see that about some players, and I could've seen that at the beginning of his career but at this point, I think Lecavlier has matured enough to come to Quebec and play, I think he has enough focus and wants to win. I think it would be a great move.

I can see that about some players, and I could've seen that at the beginning of his career but at this point, I think Lecavlier has matured enough to come to Quebec and play, I think he has enough focus and wants to win. I think it would be a great move.

We'll never know if it never happens?

But they thought Turgeon could handle it too.....

And we all know how that one went down in the end!

Personally I don't think he has the right mindset to handle it.

And it has nothing to do with maturity or age - it's more ego/character in his case.

Still not interested if I were doing the deal though.

Aebi, Ribs, and our 1st pick would be enough to bring Vinny here... IMO that is. They need to lose some salary and they are getting a 2nd line centre to play behind Richards. But their need for a good Goalie is huge right now.

:hlogo:

TSN.ca has announced that the Tampa Bay Lightning have signed free agent goaltender Johan Holmqvist to a one-year contract.

He's rated as a back-up goalie but, in the article, they show that, recently, he has had a very record playing in Europe and in some International tournaments. Now, Latvia may not be one of the hockey powerhouses of the world but the tournament stats are encouraging for Tampa Bay He may be what they needed.

In any case, as far as this thread is concerned, this likely puts a serious damper on the hopes of a possible Lightning/Canadiens trade involving Vincent Lecavalier.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story/?ID...e=nhl-lightning

:king: :hlogo: :king:

The most over-rated player by a Montreal fan...EVER...is Vincent Lecavalier.

Damn, this is perhaps one of the worst threads I have ever read. I'm like a deer in the headlights and I just couldn't stop reading it...jebus help me.

There is no way the Habs will trade 1-2 NHL READY prospects(Zhog, Higgins, Kosty, Pleks) in combination with Aebischer, Ribeiro and Souray and/or a pick and/or Zednik or whatever other hallucination people have on their video games. Enough of that crap already...

Vinny is worth LESS then Joe Thornton...by a good bit too...and I'd love to hear why people think that they are worth the same or that any deal for Lecavalier should be similar to the Thornton deal...LMAO.

Aebischer, Ribeiro is almost enough by themselves...a prospect or pick may have to be included but not as much as people are droning on about.

Notes on Lecavalier:

He has had over 70 points only TWICE in his career.

He has only ever finished in the + side ONCE in his career.

He is 6'4" and 207lbs

Notes on Thornton:

Has finished with over 90 points twice and over 70 points 2 more times

Has finished in the + side 5 times in his career

His is 6'4" and 227lbs

Seriously, the hometown Montreal fans need to pull their head out of their arse and quit sounding like Leaf fans. I know Vinny is french and a hometown boy, but this is ridiculous. He's a GOOD player, not a GREAT player and any trade offer will reflect that.

Notes on Lecavalier:

He has had over 70 points only TWICE in his career.

He has only ever finished in the + side ONCE in his career.

He is 6'4" and 207lbs

Sounds a lot like Koivu, except for the dimensions.

But he's (Lecavalier) won a Stanley Cup

Notes on Thornton:

Has finished with over 90 points twice and over 70 points 2 more times

Has finished in the + side 5 times in his career

His is 6'4" and 227lbs

Never won a Stanley Cup. Not even close. Horrible Playoff performer as well. Patrick Marleau carried this team this year

The most over-rated player by a Montreal fan...EVER...is Vincent Lecavalier.

Damn, this is perhaps one of the worst threads I have ever read. I'm like a deer in the headlights and I just couldn't stop reading it...jebus help me.

There is no way the Habs will trade 1-2 NHL READY prospects(Zhog, Higgins, Kosty, Pleks) in combination with Aebischer, Ribeiro and Souray and/or a pick and/or Zednik or whatever other hallucination people have on their video games. Enough of that crap already...

Vinny is worth LESS then Joe Thornton...by a good bit too...and I'd love to hear why people think that they are worth the same or that any deal for Lecavalier should be similar to the Thornton deal...LMAO.

Aebischer, Ribeiro is almost enough by themselves...a prospect or pick may have to be included but not as much as people are droning on about.

Notes on Lecavalier:

Seriously, the hometown Montreal fans need to pull their head out of their arse and quit sounding like Leaf fans. I know Vinny is french and a hometown boy, but this is ridiculous. He's a GOOD player, not a GREAT player and any trade offer will reflect that.

The rest of this is just about the worst post in this thread. Just plain garbage. Obviosuly you know little of hockey.

Aebischer and Ribeiro is enough for Lecavalier...Laugh my ass off pal!!!!!!!

Yeah I would say Tampa's goalie signing effectively kills the Lecavalier talk. Looks like they'll try and go with an inexperienced goalie and replacate the success of Philly and the NY Rangers.

Edited by kaos

IMO we will never get Lecavalier, Aebishcer isnt enough for just him and feester is for sure going to ask for a first round pick.

I don't think we should get ride of our pick mainly because i think this draft is going to be deep, doesnt look like it when you look at the list, but i feel they all have a big amount of potental and will de very well in the NHL when they get there.

If we were to get Lecavalier it would make media even worse in montreal and show more against to our captain on how Lecavalier has skill and cares for the team and speaks french..i dont think anyone needs that.

And just to add in i dont want any tampa player besides Brad Richards but for that amount of money feester just shot him self in the foot.

Sounds a lot like Koivu, except for the dimensions.

But he's (Lecavalier) won a Stanley Cup

Never won a Stanley Cup. Not even close. Horrible Playoff performer as well. Patrick Marleau carried this team this year

The rest of this is just about the worst post in this thread. Just plain garbage. Obviosuly you know little of hockey.

Aebischer and Ribeiro is enough for Lecavalier...Laugh my ass off pal!!!!!!!

Yeah I would say Tampa's goalie signing effectively kills the Lecavalier talk. Looks like they'll try and go with an inexperienced goalie and replacate the success of Philly and the NY Rangers.

I have to agree with Kaos on this one, Aebi and Ribs is not enough for Vinny. The guy is only 26 years old and as the potential to be top three center in the league. He's the whole package, good shot, good passr, quick, big, hits hard and even fights once in a while.

By the way, Vinny is listed as 6'4" and 223 lbs on the NHL site, not 207 lbs. That was probably when he was 18 years old :lol: . Get real, you obviously never looked at him, the guy is huge, how can he be only 207 lbs at 6'4" and be a monster on the ice ?

As for your comparative with Thornton, you forgot many details. Boston had a much better team then Vinny when they started their careers. Vinny was the "SAVIER" as Joe was just a good young player to help the team. Vinny started as #1 center right away vs. Joe who started on the 3rd line.

Put Vinny here with Kovy, and you will see 90 pts plus.

As for TB signing Holmqvist, its mentioned everywhere that he is only back-up material, only an added assurance who will probably play in the AHL. No way TB will go with another unproven goalie, we saw how good that did them this year. The Rangers had Weekes as the #1 goalie and Lundqvist went in and grabbed the job from Weekes, nothing comparable with going in with Holmqvist as the #1 goalie. Once they season will have started, it will be too late to find a goalie once Holmqvist becomes a flop, I'm sure that TB will go after an experienced goalie. Will it Be Aebi? Who knows, there are a few not too expensive goalies that are available...Cloutier, Biron, ? (Forget Giguere and Nabokov, too expensive for TB).

I would give up Aebi, Ribs, Souray and a #1 pick for Vinny, and TB would still be saving 1M$. Aebi fills there #1 need at a very good price. Souray fills the Kubina loss and Ribs fills the Vinny loss, and they still have a little bit of money to retain the rest of their players and possibly sign a decent UFA D or forward to had depth. TB would be a better team this way, but what will Feaster decide is only up to him ????

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

I would give up Aebi, Ribs, Souray and a #1 pick for Vinny, and TB would still be saving 1M$. Aebi fills there #1 need at a very good price. Souray fills the Kubina loss and Ribs fills the Vinny loss, and they still have a little bit of money to retain the rest of their players and possibly sign a decent UFA D or forward to had depth.

Glad you're not the Habs GM... 4 for 1 ...NO WAY!

Johan Holmqvist was once the most promising goaltender in Sweden. Second was Stefan Liv and Henrik Lundqvist was third.

They also got drafted in just that order. Johan Holmqvist has played for the New York Rangers and that's why it was a bit unexpected when Rangers had the guts to go with Lundqvist as they allready had tried a young Swede in net.

John Holmqvist was one of the key players in Swedens win at the world championships in Latvia. He was one of the best goalies in Elitserien this season. Funny thing is: Johan Holmqvist and Fredrik Norrena was the best in Elitserien last season and now both have been signed by the Bolts. Sweden and Finlands World Championship goalies signed by the same team within a week.

And about Vincent Lecavalier... I agree wiht zowpeb on this one. Vincent Lecavalier is overrated by the Montreal fans. But it's kind of cool that Montreal is a place where the fans underrate their own and vice versa with players in other teams. And every speculation about what it would take to get Vincent here meets the argue about that it's not enough.

Lecavalier is not worth more than Ribeiro, Zednik, Aebischer and a pick.

Souray?! This guy is All-star material and his poor season start could be blamed on his private life. Markov?! Even more All-star.

Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn?! What?! Look how well Habs prospects have done latley. Young guns from Montreal are red hot. They have more value than so. Remember that all it took to get Alex Kovalev was one of this young guns why would it then cost us a young gun, a NHL all-star, a pick, a cup winning goalie, a top six forward and a second line center to land a player that has just two 70+ seasons in his career?

Thank you CH_NL for articulating what I was trying to say. I've also noticed the odd tendency of some Habs fans to denigrate our players and elevate others, but it is much less tiresome that those fans who think every player on their team is the best.

Souray?! This guy is All-star material and his poor season start could be blamed on his private life. Markov?! Even more All-star.

I think your overrating Souray a little bit. Souray may make a future allstar team because of his offensive play, but he defensive play is suspect at best.

Lecavalier is worth more than Ribeiro, Zednik, Aebischer and a pick, and considering he is only 26 his best years are ahead of him. He'd easily be the most talent guy on the Montreal team. He just hasn't quite put it all together yet. He's had three straight 30 + goal seasons, and 75 + point seasons in two of the last three.

Anyways, this has just about been beaten to death. He's probably not coming here, but should Saku not be able to make a full recovery, we will almost certainly wish he had

Why overpay that much?

Tampa has one big need and that a goaltender. They lost Khabibulin and tought Sean Burke could replace him.

He didn't.

Many shock their head when Dwayne Roloson was worth that much at the trading deadline. Look where he is now.

Tampa is in a desperate need of a goaltender. The Habs have two. That's why this rumour and speculating exists in the first place.

So, what can Tampa Bay offer?

Brad Richards? The wet dream. And just resigned. Untouchable.

Fredrik Modin? Key to their powerplay. Horse kick shot. I doubt the cut him.

Martin St. Louis? Along with Lecavalier and Richards best player on the team. Small but has put up big numbers. He's a right wing but Tampa is short on this position and Montreal allready have two top rightwingers in Kovalev and Ryder. His size is another factor why Montreal could turn him down.

Vaclav Prospal? Or the Habs could just keep Jan Bulis or Richard Zednik...

Guess who's left?

Johan Holmqvist was once the most promising goaltender in Sweden. Second was Stefan Liv and Henrik Lundqvist was third.

They also got drafted in just that order. Johan Holmqvist has played for the New York Rangers and that's why it was a bit unexpected when Rangers had the guts to go with Lundqvist as they allready had tried a young Swede in net.

John Holmqvist was one of the key players in Swedens win at the world championships in Latvia. He was one of the best goalies in Elitserien this season. Funny thing is: Johan Holmqvist and Fredrik Norrena was the best in Elitserien last season and now both have been signed by the Bolts. Sweden and Finlands World Championship goalies signed by the same team within a week.

And about Vincent Lecavalier... I agree wiht zowpeb on this one. Vincent Lecavalier is overrated by the Montreal fans. But it's kind of cool that Montreal is a place where the fans underrate their own and vice versa with players in other teams. And every speculation about what it would take to get Vincent here meets the argue about that it's not enough.

Lecavalier is not worth more than Ribeiro, Zednik, Aebischer and a pick.

Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn?! What?! Look how well Habs prospects have done latley. Young guns from Montreal are red hot. They have more value than so. Remember that all it took to get Alex Kovalev was one of this young guns why would it then cost us a young gun, a NHL all-star, a pick, a cup winning goalie, a top six forward and a second line center to land a player that has just two 70+ seasons in his career?

How can a 26 year old be that over rated, he hasn't even started to peak yet. Is value is in his potential, not his past performances, which include a Cup by the way, and he was a key member of that Cup team.

It makes me laugh so much when people refer to Aebi as a Cup winning goalie, its ridiculous, the guy didn't even play a minute for the Avs in the playoffs when they won the Cup, and he's a Cup winning goalie??? Please, talk about over rating a player, look at your own comments.

Souray id good, but an All-star? Its not because he went to the All-star game that he's an All-star player. Yes he had a great first half that season, but he never played up to that level after that. He scored the 3/4 of his goals in the 1st half that season, which is why he got invited to the game, period. Yes he was better at the end of this season, but Souray is a poor version of McCabe, good on the PP with a good shot, but lousy and a huge liability in his own end.

Who looked like a fool vs. Brind'amour (and it was an easy play to do defensively) because he tried to smash him and missed him, which tied the game near the end of game 3, the game that would have sealed the Canes faith...yes it was Souray. Souray contributes in his own way, but an All-star, not even close. McCabe is not even an All-star in my books. A lousy D in his own end will never be an All-star as far as I'm concerned.

My offer does not include any of our future except a 1st round pick, which will be |16 this year in a what they calll a not so deep draft year. Besides, 1st round picks are always a gamble.

The rest, we can get rid of. We don't need Aebi with Huet, replacing Ribs by Lecavalier is a no brainer, Souray as his value (but not All-star). Honestly, I think that Aebi, Souray and Ribs would be enough, but if we got to add a pick, go for it. We have plenty of youth right now, Lecavalier is 26 (pretty young), so I don't see a problem with this. I said it before and I will say it again, top centers are the hardest commodity to get your hands on, most teams are looking for one, so the market dictates that you have to overpay for one.

As for Holmqvist, the prospect he was is far behind, he's 28 years old now and what he did in Latvia does not impress me. Medium caliber teams on an International size arena is not the NHL. Besides, search the net,every expert, analysist, including the ones close to TB say that he's nothing more then an insurance policy. Do you really think that with all the teams looking to improve their goalie situation that if he was so hot that there would not have been a bidding war for him? The guy is probably nothing more then Burke's future replacement, talk again about over rating players.

Some of us don't undr rate Habs players, we are just more realistic to the other factors, such as big good centers are the commodity the most in demand, so the market dictates that you have to overpay for them. Besides, like I said, my offer (Aebi, Souray, Ribs and a pick) does not touch any of our young guns and we lose players taht we either don't need or that we can afford to lose.

Why overpay that much?

Tampa has one big need and that a goaltender. They lost Khabibulin and tought Sean Burke could replace him.

He didn't.

Many shock their head when Dwayne Roloson was worth that much at the trading deadline. Look where he is now.

Tampa is in a desperate need of a goaltender. The Habs have two. That's why this rumour and speculating exists in the first place.

So, what can Tampa Bay offer?

Brad Richards? The wet dream. And just resigned. Untouchable.

Fredrik Modin? Key to their powerplay. Horse kick shot. I doubt the cut him.

Martin St. Louis? Along with Lecavalier and Richards best player on the team. Small but has put up big numbers. He's a right wing but Tampa is short on this position and Montreal allready have two top rightwingers in Kovalev and Ryder. His size is another factor why Montreal could turn him down.

Vaclav Prospal? Or the Habs could just keep Jan Bulis or Richard Zednik...

Guess who's left?

Don't worry, I've already gone threw this in my mind, the problem is that we are not the only ones with a goalie available, its not like TB is forced to deal with us. There's also a guy called Biron that's available. Same quality and same price tag as Aebi.

Hey, if BG can get Lecavalier for less, more power to him, but what I wanted to state was that if he makes the deal I mentionned, I would be pleased, I would not be upset for having overpaid.

Well I highly doubt Gainey would look at any of St. Louis, Modin or Prospal. Montreal is pretty much set at the winger position, and a #1 or #2 center is what they need.

A deal may happen with Tampa Bay and Aebischer may infact go there, but I highly doubt its Lecavalier coming back the other way. Its nice to dream, but just not going to happen.

Since were all so focused on a Tampa Bay deal, and Bob Gainey is known for suprising us, there are two other options to be explored.

1)Will Gainey keep both Huet and Aebischer and run with two goalies, while in the process probably losing Danis to free agency?

2) What other teams needs #1 goalies? What are the strengths of those teams (talent wise) and what would the possible deals be?

The teams that come to mind are

Toronto (won't happen being in the same division),

Washington (Kolzig should just about be done there),

Nashville ( Vokun may not return from his clotting problems, although that young kid who played in the playoffs looked promising),

Columbus (Pascal Leclair seems slow in developing),

CHicago ( If they dump Khabibulan another of their mistake signings),

Stl. Louis ( always a revolving door of goalies),

Edmonton (if Roloson decides to ask for the moon)

Vancouver ( is Mika Noranen the answer? Probably not)

Phoenix ( Whats up with Joseph?)

Minnesota ( Will Lemaire be happy with Fernandez?)

I'm not sure what the prospect status of these organizations is, but they are the immediate teams that come to mind that need goaltender help.

Sheldon Souray has played in an All-star game. Im aware that Souray isn't great in the defense but hockey is about scoring goals and as far as I know Sheldon Souray scored 12. Just 4 less than Richard Zednik and whom do you rather have on the blueline?

Sheldon Souray also brings some toughness to the team.

I think this is an interesting discussion. Not because I care about the truth in this rumour but how we Canadiens-fans values our own players.

According to the New York Post Montreal offered Jose Theodore for Martin St. Louis at the trading deadline.

I don't blame Jay Feaster for not doing this as St. Louis is their only rightwinger that can put up numbers. Jose Theodore's contract is also a lot larger than Aebischers.

Now we can offer a goalie that's about as skilled as Theodore, maybe not as good but with a salary that would please most managers for a player that has openly said that he was thinking about leaving Tampa as a free agent.

Every trade is different and there's a number of things that has to add up.

Tampa Bay Lightning has 3 players that eats half of their salary. Now when there's a cap that's not very smart. Two of the players also plays on the same position.

Tampa needs a goaltender big time. Montreal can provide.

If they lose Lecavalier they need to fill that second line with another center. Mike Ribeiro. Same age, same playing style but not expensive.

And if that's not enough Tampa can have the freedom to choose. Richard Zednik, Matt Dandenault or a 3rd round pick.

Johan Holmqvist...

What can I say? Big rink is not the NHL but just take a look at whom you rate as the the top goalies in the NHL today.

Would you say that Henrik Lundqvist and Mika Kiprusoff are among them?

Maybe not Martin Gerber and Vesa Toskala but all have something in common. They have all been come to the NHL via Sweden and Elitserien. Johan Holmqvist crossed the Atlantic to early but has rebounded and are once again the top goalie along with Fredrik Norrena and Karol Krizan.

Take the World Championship as an example. Of the top six goaltenders in the tournament 3 of them played in Elitserien.

Read what I wrote about Holmqvist again and then you will realize that I did not overrate him.

And finaly about Aebischer. I may overrate him and yes, it was stupid of me to refer to him as a "Cup winning goalie" but then again... Look in the rear mirror and see what the price for a goaltender at the trading deadline was.

Well I highly doubt Gainey would look at any of St. Louis, Modin or Prospal. Montreal is pretty much set at the winger position, and a #1 or #2 center is what they need.

A deal may happen with Tampa Bay and Aebischer may infact go there, but I highly doubt its Lecavalier coming back the other way. Its nice to dream, but just not going to happen.

Since were all so focused on a Tampa Bay deal, and Bob Gainey is known for suprising us, there are two other options to be explored.

1)Will Gainey keep both Huet and Aebischer and run with two goalies, while in the process probably losing Danis to free agency?

2) What other teams needs #1 goalies? What are the strengths of those teams (talent wise) and what would the possible deals be?

The teams that come to mind are

Toronto (won't happen being in the same division),

Washington (Kolzig should just about be done there),

Nashville ( Vokun may not return from his clotting problems, although that young kid who played in the playoffs looked promising),

Columbus (Pascal Leclair seems slow in developing),

CHicago ( If they dump Khabibulan another of their mistake signings),

Stl. Louis ( always a revolving door of goalies),

Edmonton (if Roloson decides to ask for the moon)

Vancouver ( is Mika Noranen the answer? Probably not)

Phoenix ( Whats up with Joseph?)

Minnesota ( Will Lemaire be happy with Fernandez?)

I'm not sure what the prospect status of these organizations is, but they are the immediate teams that come to mind that need goaltender help.

For point #1, no way he keeps both. A 2.5M$ back up is terrible under a cap system. Besides, they both want to play 50 games, so it wouldn't be a good idea, and I don't want to lose Danis, who as the potential to be a very good backup in the NHL.

For point #2:

Toronto (you're right, never going to happen)

Washington (Kolzig is under coontract and still has a few years left, there not going for a replacement yet, they would be interested in a prospect goalie, but not Aebi)

Nashville (last news was that Vokoun would be fine and Mason is a good young goalie)

Columbus (Leclaire and Denis are doing fine)

Chicago (who will want Khabi?)

St-Louis (there's a team in need of a goalie, they have 2 good young guys, their #2 and 6 prospects per Hockeysfuture site, but probably not ready and in need of a good experienced goalie)

Edmonton (depend on Roloson)

Vancouver (they have Auld who did well but not great when Cloutier was hurt, depends on their intentions, but they also have a cap issue, so I think they're going to go with Auld)

Phoenix (just resigned Joseph, so I doubt there's any interest there)

Minnesota (Fernandez is solid and better then Aebi, so no possibilities there)

You forgot:

Detroit (they want to replace Legace and need a cheap solution because of cap issues - definetly a possibility)

There are not that many teams in need of a goalie, 5 or 6 top. TB, St-Louis and Detroit being the most desperate probably. I never did this full analysis before, but Anaheim (Guigere) and San Jose (Nabokov) might find it hard to trade their high priced goalies this summer. Most teams looking for a goalie are looking for a cheap affordable one. I think that Aebi and Biron will be the most desired ones, good for us :D

Johan Holmqvist...

What can I say? Big rink is not the NHL but just take a look at whom you rate as the the top goalies in the NHL today.

Would you say that Henrik Lundqvist and Mika Kiprusoff are among them?

Maybe not Martin Gerber and Vesa Toskala but all have something in common. They have all been come to the NHL via Sweden and Elitserien. Johan Holmqvist crossed the Atlantic to early but has rebounded and are once again the top goalie along with Fredrik Norrena and Karol Krizan.

Take the World Championship as an example. Of the top six goaltenders in the tournament 3 of them played in Elitserien.

Read what I wrote about Holmqvist again and then you will realize that I did not overrate him.

And finaly about Aebischer. I may overrate him and yes, it was stupid of me to refer to him as a "Cup winning goalie" but then again... Look in the rear mirror and see what the price for a goaltender at the trading deadline was.

Most of the goalies you mentioned where here in North America for a while before making the jump to the NHL, not straight out from Europe. There is a difference in both styles. I will agree that it's not a major factor, but its still one to consider. These European leagues don't compare to the NHL, being good there doesn't equal being good here.

Honestly, I'm not an expert on the subject, but the fact that TB was able to sign all of them so easily makes me think that they are not that great and more of a long shot, otherwise other teams would have jumped at them also. TB signed 3 Euro goalies in the past few weeks (Holmqvist, Norrena nad Ramo), maybe there solution is to sign all the long shots hoping that one will pan out :wacko: , but saying that one of them is the solution for sure is wrong. I guess Feaster did not have is lesson this year, lesson #2 coming up next year.

I didn't mean that you over rated Aebi, I just meant to say that if you see him as a Cup winning goalie, then you are probably over rating him. I think is a very good goalie, especially for his price tag.

As for Roloson for a 1st round, I think that Edmonton was just desperate to get him. Paying a 1st round for a rental player is expensive, but hey, look at how great it turned out for them. Look at my other analysis, there are not that many teams looking for a goalie and there are a few available, I don't think we can start a bidding war for Aebi's services, GMs can turn around and look somewhere else if we are too greedy.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher