Spector's Rumor - Aebischer To Tampa

Theberge43

Just read that on Spector

Spector's Note: Don't rule out Montreal's David Aebischer, who probably won't be returning with the Canadiens next season. Already there are some rumours suggesting the Habs and Bolts might be in talks with Aebischer as the centerpiece of a potential deal.

Also a guy on Spector's Website is reporting he read this in the Devoir :

Thanks to "Felix" for the following Canadiens rumour: "i've read in le journal le devoir about something interesting...

Jay feaster and Bob Gainey have had talks about goalie DAVID AEBISCHER....It says that Montréal is looking at Vincent Lecavalier right now and Ribeiro could easily fit in the trade....

LE DEVOIR, MAY 30th...

Well I can't say I'm surprise at the Aebisher to Tampa rumor, but Vinny !? Man that is a wet dream !

Edited by Theberge43

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHHHHH

Let the rumor season begin, I love it.

Lecavalier would be a fantastic acquistion, the question is, is this deal realistic. I have several points of view on all sides.

1. This would save Tampa significant money allowing them to more than likely retain Kubina in addition to acquiring Aebischer and Ribeiro.

2. C'mon Aebischer and Ribeiro for Lecavalier, Feaster must be off his rocker.

3. Would anyone want St. Louis with his contract??? and with a no trade clause kicking in July 1st and Richards new contract, Feaster may have no choice but to deal Lecavalier.

That being said, I can see there being some talk of this, but it will take more than Aebischer and Ribeiro, a goalie we don't want but I can see appealing to other teams and a Center we would give away. I would imagine that it would require at least a 1st round pick and perhaps another roster player added, maybe Ryder. Or maybe Ryder or a 1st round pick, but i think it needs a little something extra and with the other goalies available via trade a la Raycroft, the deal would have to be a decent one for Tampa.

Then again this could also be the completely untrue Montreal Media loves Lecavalier talk that seems to pop up after every year.

Time to wake up from that wet dream cause Aebischer and Ribeiro for Lecavalier isn't happening unless Montreal throws in one or two of the young prospects (Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Higgins, Komisarek and Plekanec) and probably their 1st round pick this year. Tampa may even ask for more than that.

Yeah that may be alot, but thats going to be the asking price.

Well I would never give away Aebisher, Ribeiro, Higgins & a 1st pick.

Lecavalier is good and would be great for MTL, but that's too much for one guy. Unless Kubina could be added to the package.

Well I would never give away Aebisher, Ribeiro, Higgins & a 1st pick.

Lecavalier is good and would be great for MTL, but that's too much for one guy. Unless Kubina could be added to the package.

Kubina is a UFA-to be, there would be no point in adding him unless its guaranteed he'll sign.

I would expect TB to ask of a package similar to the following:

Perezhogin, Abby, Ribs and a 1st, or

Perazhogin, Abby and Souray

I'd prefer to give Abby, Souray, Ribs and a second

or Trade Abby and a 3rd for TB's 1st and Fedotenko

Edited by GoHabs2002

I'd think a trade for Lecavalier would be patterned on the deal Boston got for Thornton.

I would agree, but Lecavalier would be staying in the same conference and would have to face TB at least 4 times per season, so TB would want to recieve an added premium, I would think.

Then again, Feaster needs a #1 goalie and to reduce payroll...so it probably will mirror the Bruins-Sharks deal, if it would ever happen.

Steady experience player (Stuart)

veteran player (Sturm)

Plugger (Primeau)

feaster won't let go lecavalier for so little.

If we're to get lecvalier, we'll have to surender young talent. I'm not sure that gainey's ready for that.

feaster won't let go lecavalier for so little.

If we're to get lecvalier, we'll have to surender young talent. I'm not sure that gainey's ready for that.

As much as this seems like a dream trade for the Habs, it does not seem real. (Like the Theo trade for Abby was a weird one for me)

One thing to keep in mind is that the NHL has salary dump trades in order to fit the cap. If this is a salary dump, Abby for Lecavier straight up might be real because the financial bind Tampa is in. Habs may have to take a bad contract too.

Very interesting....

As much as this seems like a dream trade for the Habs, it does not seem real. (Like the Theo trade for Abby was a weird one for me)

One thing to keep in mind is that the NHL has salary dump trades in order to fit the cap. If this is a salary dump, Abby for Lecavier straight up might be real because the financial bind Tampa is in. Habs may have to take a bad contract too.

Very interesting....

They'll never do Vinny for anyone straight up. They'll take the opportunity to bolster other areas of the team and still try to save 1-2m off the cap.

That's why I beleive a Perezhogin, Abby, Souray combination is good, they get a potential top 6 forward, a top 4 d-man and a top goalie all the while saving 1.5 m, approximately.

Whether that's too much for the Habs is another story.

But if the fans want a big, talented 1st line centre, you have to pay the price, both in assets and in cap room. We always ask for the stars, but then we bitch about the money the team will have to pay that player.

6.75m might be too much for Lecavalier, but if Richards is gettin 7.8m, McCabe 5.75m and Jokinen 5.5m, then Lecavalier is probably getting his market value. If you want to acquire top talent, you have to pay market price, players have no reason to accept less.

I would take Vinny (but I would try anything not to trade Souray in that deal, offering a 1st and ribs instead) because I believe he would directly make Kovy better, indirectly make Koivu produce better, and make our offensive transition better.

I don't believe the Lightning would do any such deal for Aebischer, Souray and Perezhogin.

If Tampa is desperate for cap savings, which I don't think they are....but they'll have to deal with the loss of Kubina and no goalie, then they'd be looking to get a goalie and a top flight prospect which Montreal and most of the league does not have.

Tampa trading for a savings on only $1.5 Million doesn't make any sense. They'll want a goalie and prospect (or picks or both), and significant savings of around $2.5-3.0 Million.

I more see Tampa finding a way of dumping St. Louis for a player with a similar, shorter contract, or maybe to Chicago for Khabibulan who has a similar contract but for 4 years I think.

Having said that I'd love to see Lecavalier coming to Montreal. It hink it would be great for the team, him and the fans. He's exactly what this team needs. A huge, incredibly skilled, physical center. Everything this team is lacking. Hopefully it can happen.

Lecavalier & St. Louis available for the right price?

An article on the Canoe website that indicates that both Lecavalier & St. Louis can be picked up for the right price, and that St. Louis is very affordable?

Not sure how true it is, but it will certainly make for a lot of speculation.......

(Sorry - hadn't read the Habs section on this rumour at time of posting this one....

Someone can merge it if possible I guess with the Habs thread.

One more article to confirm the rumours out there???? Maybe......

Aplogies!)

Edited by beliveau1

Here's to hoping....

Bob is masterful at these types of things and I think there is a deal to be made, but it will certainly take more than Ribs and Aebischer, if we include a first rounder, then the cap savings for Tampa would be almost 4 million. Might be worthwhile for them.

Habs cap situation would be tougher then but I still think it would be a great trade and would certainly pump up the offence. He is everything we want in a center except for being left handed and that isn't a huge deal.

We will then have 15 million locked up in 3 forwards. but i think it's more important looking at the player and what he can do for the team. Big, offensively talented, cup winner, young, quebecois.

The only problem I have with this rumor, is that everything Bob do seems to be a surprise. We never hear anything in the news and then boom he hits us. Theo & Kovalev were like that.

I'di give Aebisher, Ribeiro and 1 young player or our 1st rounder but not more than that.

And I would swallow a bad contract if it's not too long.

Edited by Theberge43

Time to shift my hope for Richards to Vinny I guess.

I still say Tampa might be willing to trade a big gun for Aebi, Souray, and Ribs. They get three players combining to make about the same as the one player they are giving up. They obviously need Aebi and Souray would help ease the loss of Kubina or help them have room to resign him. Ribs is a guy that Habs fans can't stand, but still has value. He doesn't work with our team, but I think he could be a fine 2nd line center on another team. Just look at similar player in Perrault, who doubled his production with a new team.

Only drawback I have to such a deal is that it would require to bring in a really good UFA D-man, who will likely cost more than Souray did. I'm not worried about cap space though, we can always trade Zednik for a pick to clear some room if Bob doesn't want to stradle the cap.

With that being said, though, you have to take everything you hear from rumor sites with about 1,000,000 grains of salt.

Tampa trading for a savings on only $1.5 Million doesn't make any sense.

It does if it means, that while saving 1.5m they managed to plug 2 other holes in their lineup....

1 player at 6.75 or 3 players at 5.25m and an extra 1.5m to spend; which is better for a team without depth or cap room?

I wouldn't offer any more than Aebischer, Ribeiro, and our 1st rounder. MAYBE throw in another draft pick, but definitely not any of our best prospects. Lecavalier is a good player, but he's not going to produce the kind of points Joe Thornton does (50 less points this past season).

I would be willing to part with a lot to get franchise type Center like Lecavalier. Who would fit extremely well in Montreal and wants to play here.

Ribeiro and Aebischer are spare parts from the habs perspective. I think that Ryder or Perezhogin could be included, as we have good young wingers ready to play and a 1st round pick, mid-to late first round is where we will be drafting, so I'm fine with overpaying slightly if that's what this is.

Higgins Koivu Ryder or ?

Kostytsin Lecavailier Kovalev

Perezhogin or ? Plekanek Zednik

Begin Bonk Murray

That leaves 1 winger spot to fill on this team and that can be done via UFA for a non-expensive 3rd liner with grit.

I think it's a trade that can only benefit us. Realistically it's only Ryder or Perezhogin and a 1st rounder for Lecavalier as Ribs and Aebi have little value to us.

Bob has something up hsi sleeve

"Expect the Unexpected"

This would certainly be a nice trade from the habs perspective and I would like it. However as a few other posters mentioned, BG plays it close to the best. I don't think any of the "rumors" have ever panned out since Gainey has taken over.

If someone can seriously tell my why the lightning would want Ribiero? He basically has no value. More likely i think other posters have it right with something like Souray, Perez and Aebi.

No way would i trade Ryder, everyone complains about goal scoring and he has been the top goal scorer his

first 2 years.

Since when do we want Lecavalier? A player who has never produced a point per game season in his career on an offensive-minded team. Koivu averages more points per game than this guy, is cheaper, and is a leader. Vinny is a whiner... we all know that.

Kostytsin Lecavailier Kovalev

I'd pay to see that ! :bow:

Since when do we want Lecavalier? A player who has never produced a point per game season in his career on an offensive-minded team. Koivu averages more points per game than this guy, is cheaper, and is a leader. Vinny is a whiner... we all know that.

Wow :blink:

Are you serious ? :huh:

Is he serious ? <_<

Lecavalier can be a dominating player (we saw it in the World Championship last year), he's big, he plays both ways and is a guy from Montreal !

Where did that whiner come from !?

I'm not his biggest fan, but unless i'm mistaken he has his name on the cup which currently only 2 other players on this team has, Dandy and Kovalev. (i don' think anyone else does). He has always been a winner, plays hard, uses the body, plays both ends, how many current habs can do all that.

I think this was the plan all the time when they traded for Aebischer.

Look where Dwane Roloson has taked the Oilers. The Bolts have made a proposal to Linköpings and Finlands Mika Norrena but I doubt they will go with Sean Burke and Mika Norrena next season.

Tampa has two of the leuges best centers but are weak in net. Montreal have the opposite situation and a trade would make sense.

Only question is: What would make the deal work?

Aebischer and Vincent Lecavalier involved. But whom would make the equation complete?

Mike Ribeiro, David Aebischer and Richard Zednik? That's about 5.5 million. It could also be worth to use a early pick to make this deal happen.

Lecavalier's contract is 6.8 so Tampa would save about a million and a half.

Would this trade make them a better team? I'd say yes.

This is the lines the Bolt's could have after this deal:

Modin - Richards - St Louis

Zednik - Ribeiro - Prospal

Fedotenko - Cibak - Alexeev

Dingman - Taylor - DiMaio

You had great points up there except the Ribiero thing. Again, he wasn't a good second line center in Montreal, why would teams trade for him? The habs would be lucky if they could get a third round pick for the guy.