Wow, Ebay Sucks Now!

KoZed

I haven't touched my eBay account in years before today. I want to sell some old hockey cards, so I decided I'd log in my old eBay account and start some auctions.

Wow does eBays sucks now!

Have you seen the fees they are charging? 0.25$ just to list an item under 10$. 3.30$ for an item above 70$. 0.20$ for a 2nd picture. And the final value fees are just as worse. 5.25% for anything under 35$. 3% more if you go over 35%.

What a load of crap!

Last time I used ebay was November and the asshole never sent me my item. So I went to ebay about it and they said "too bad, your problem". So now I'm out 20 bucks with nothing to show for it.

I hate ebay.

Yeah, I stopped with eBay a while ago...between their fees, paypal fees, etc...it wasn't worth it anymore to sell anything. Now, if I "need" to sell something, it goes on craigslist.

Yeah the Paypal thing turned me off too. Didn't used to be like that. I wouldn't touch anything linked to Paypal with a 10-foot pole.

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

*read the site* okkkkk I won't touch paypal with a 10 feet pole either. Glad I never did.

Tough, Ebay sucks for sellers but is it still a good place for buyers? I'm only interested in using EBay to buy a few video games you cant find anymore in normal stores.

eBay is surely scared of Google Base. Recently Google started their own auction site of sorts, though right now it isn't much. But we all know how Google is taking over the world, so I'm sure eBay is scared.

I used PayPal only once, for this site. I've always been afraid to use it on eBay. What sucks is that right now there is an awesome price for something I want, but the seller only accepts PayPal. Though the seller has 100% feedback, I'm always wary of sellers who only want PayPal.

What pisses me off lately about sellers is that they won't give feedback until the buyer leaves feedback first. How lame is that? The seller should leave feedback as soon as they recieve payment or news of non-payment. Last time I bought something I refused to leave feedback because of that policy. The buyer deserves positive feedback as soon as the seller gets paid, and the seller deserves feedback as soon as the item is recieved and inspected.

eBay is surely scared of Google Base. Recently Google started their own auction site of sorts, though right now it isn't much. But we all know how Google is taking over the world, so I'm sure eBay is scared

I'm not too fond of Google either. They are indeed trying to get their foot in every door: free web-email, auctions, shopping, etc.

http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

Kozed said it best when he said ebay sucks.

I'll see you guys later, I'll go make a Bob Gainey look alike grill cheese sandwich that I'll sell later on ;)

be careful so it doesn't get stolen! :P

You're really into the conspiracy theories, aren't ya?

I love their e-mail so much. It kicks ass.

I'm just naturally sceptical and experience taught me you can never really trust any company. A business' interest is to make money, not to be helpful to you. If you're offered something free, there's good chances that' there's some strings attached somewhere.

Its not so much a matter of conspiracies than trends. Just look at the World we live in and currents state affairs. DMCA, National Security pretexts, etc.

The Net is just becoming like any other land: the top dogs (Governments, Corporations) are starting to take over more and more control. Its not a conspiracy, its just a centuries-old trend. A peon living on some farm under a despotic regime back in 1354 had more effective freedom than you and have now. He might not had the right to vote or publicly say he hated his despot, but if he did so the chances that he got caught were infinitesimal compared to now.

The Net will grow out to be just like what America (the continent) became. First it was largely unexplored, inhabited only by a few who were in close relation to it, then a brave few jumped in and had fun, then people came in drove seeking new freedom, but eventually the big bucks and politics got the upper hand and what was new, uncharted territory became simply a new version of what was already known before.

The police can't listen to the conversations you've got with your friends in your home unless they suspect you first and put wires all over the place. But they can easily go over to Google and scan all GMail accounts for certain keywords, including your own, even if you're not suspected of anything.

This might sound pessimistic or off-the-wall, but its just how things are shaping up right now.

Edited by KoZed

I never had any problem with PayPal or eBay. I don't sell things on ebay though, only buy stuff.

ditto.

I sell some stuff once in a while.

As to the charges, it's part of the cost of doing business.

In the case of using eBay, you don't have to worry about a whole bunch of things like employees, overhead, GST payments to the government, etc...

It doesn't matter what kind of business you do, it's ALWAYS going to cost you do do it and those costs rise as time goes on.

Bottom line, it's still a good way to make a buck.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Yeah but Paypal can take money out of your own bank account for no reason at all. I know it's happened to my friend and, on a less severe scale, me. He lost 100 bucks, it just dissapeared into thin air. I only lost 10 bucks. We both cancelled after that happened though.

Yeah but Paypal can take money out of your own bank account for no reason at all. I know it's happened to my friend and, on a less severe scale, me. He lost 100 bucks, it just dissapeared into thin air. I only lost 10 bucks. We both cancelled after that happened though.

I know people would dissapear too if I was robbed of 100$! :angry2:

Not only that, but I paid someone with a paypal account, and they removed that money from his account after 2 months, saying that the transferred money was "under dispute", and didn't return it to me. So there was quite a bit of money that paypal just took. And this wasn't even something I bought on ebay, a friend needed to borrow some money, so I sent some to help him out through paypal. Niether of us ever saw that cash again. So there's not even a statute of limitations on when/how/why they can take money away from people. I lost a lot of money because of 2 people through paypal.

You do not need an account to pay with paypal, you can just use a credit card, but then a non-bank entity has your credit card information on record. I don't trust paypal (an ebay company) at all.

You do not need an account to pay with paypal, you can just use a credit card, but then a non-bank entity has your credit card information on record. I don't trust paypal (an ebay company) at all.

I've got a simple method to avoid any troubles that could come with using my credit card online: I always run up my credit to the limit, and "free up" the amount I need to make transactions when I make them.

Sure I get to pay some interests, but its a much smaller hassle than getting frauded.

As far as PayPal is concerned, I dont understand why big companies dont step in to come up with a wide-spread alternative. The average consumer is already shy about making payments on the Net, having some crooks like PayPal around surely doesn't help eCommerce as a whole.

So these problem people have reported have been for only people with PayPal accounts?

If I'm right, I don't need an account if I'm just paying a buyer, right?

It depends what kind of payment the buyer wants though. Most of them nowadays only accept paypal which is stupid. Some accept money orders which is the only way I'll go if I ever get something off of ebay again.

It depends what kind of payment the buyer wants though. Most of them nowadays only accept paypal which is stupid. Some accept money orders which is the only way I'll go if I ever get something off of ebay again.

You and I think alike.

I only use money orders too and also do not buy anything over $100. (I do not have total trust in Ebay)

It is a good place for buying hobby things, models, coins etc...

You and I think alike.

I only use money orders too and also do not buy anything over $100. (I do not have total trust in Ebay)

It is a good place for buying hobby things, models, coins etc...

I really only go to ebay nowadays when I've scoured (scowered? no idea how to spell that word) the entire city for a specific video game. If I absolutely cannot find it, then I head to ebay and can usually find it for a cheap price. It really is a last resort though, I have no faith in ebay either.

• 1 year later...

eBay security blows chunks. Some Chinese company hacked my account this morning and started spamming people on the Italian eBay. I haven't bid in over a year, signed on in at least three months, and haven't answered any phony eBay emails. Scanned my computer with Norton, SpyBot, and AdAware and came up empty. Did some searching on the net and it's apparently a somewhat frequent thing. Found an article about how they have little to no security concerning incorrect passwords, so they just used programs to try thousands of permutations till they get the right one. That's pretty bad. Thankfully, they started spamming before they changed the email addy associated with the account.

P.S. I closed my account and they say it takes up to 180 days to do so, what a crappy company.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiege...,391774,00.html

I'll probably sell my tickets for April 5th Toronto vs Habs on Ebay and then maybe close my account. This is the market where i'm gonna have the most money for my tickets. But what about Craiglist and Kijiji ??? Is it the same as Ebay in terms of security ?