• Mike Bossy
    • Sylvain Lefevbre
    • Brian Skrudland
    • Brett Hull
    • Craig Ludwig
    • Donald Dufresne
    • Stephan Lebeau
    • Chris Nilan

Pick who you think is more likely to become the new assistant coach. Some names of candidates were released here: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060614...0/1002/CPSPORTS but I added a couple myself who were Carbo teammates in Montreal or Dallas at one point or another. Here's their respective experiences:

Kirk Muller: coach at Queens, assistant-coach for some U-18 teams, teammate of Carbo in MON and DAL

Mario Tremblay: assistant-coach in Minnesota, teammate of Carbo in MON

Denis Savard: assistant-coach in Chicago, teammate of Carbo in MON

Larry Robinson: assistant and head coach in NJ and LA, teammate of Carbo in MON

Mike Bossy: no idea how his name popped up here?!

Sylvain Lefevbre: Junior Triple-A coach, teammate of Carbo in MON

Those I added myself:

Brian Skrudland: assistant-coach in Calgary, teammate of Carbo in MON and DAL

Brett Hull: just retired, teammate of Carbo in DAL.

Craig Ludwig: assistant-coach in DAL, teammate of Carbo in MON and DAL

Donald Dufresne: assistant-coach and assistant-GM in Rimouski, teammate of Carbo in MON

Stephan Lebeau: coach in Victoriaville and Midget AAA, teammate of Carbo in MON

Chris Nilan: assistant-coach in NJ, coach of the year in ECHL in 97-98, linemate of Carbo and Gainey in MON

GOOOOOOOOO KIRK!!!

Kirk Muller: in mtl for an interview with Carbo

Mario Tremblay: has been fired by the habs, notoriously moody, big ego, etc

Denis Savard: not really tied to carbo, to my knowledge

Larry Robinson: might get a better offer from NJ to support CJ

Mike Bossy: LOL, he should stick to humour :)

Sylvain Lefevbre: was just named elsewhere, tells me that he wasn't even considered, otherwise, he'd have waited before accepting

Brian Skrudland: why not... but what's the difference with Jarvis? :P

Brett Hull: WOW, however, 1. not sure he'd want to coach. 2 even if he would wanna coach, not sure he'd take something in Canada... this is a guy who opted to play for TEAM USA

Craig Ludwig: RDS said he's out of the race

Donald Dufresne: lol

Stephan Lebeau: lol

Chris Nilan: Hehe, a special coach for Begin, Murray, Downey, etc :P

Muller, just because I think he'd fit in w/ what seems to be the Habs system.

I never liked Tremblay, so I'm hoping it's not him...

My real pick would be Larry Robinson, but I highly doubt he'll be back to coaching so soon.

I wish we'd have someone who can complement Carbo and Jarvis. I like Muller, Skrudland and all, but seems like yet more of the the same philosophy. Not that its a bad philosophy, but I'd like someone who could add something different. Either a good D-men coach or a player with a more offensive leaning.

So I vote for Savard (was assistant-coach to Demers during the 93 Cup run) or Golden Brett! I wanna see Hull teach the kids how to do wicked slapshots from the slot and give good quotes to the medias!

I wish we'd have someone who can complement Carbo and Jarvis. I like Muller, Skrudland and all, but seems like yet more of the the same philosophy. Not that its a bad philosophy, but I'd like someone who could add something different. Either a good D-men coach or a player with a more offensive leaning.

So I vote for Savard (was assistant-coach to Demers during the 93 Cup run) or Golden Brett! I wanna see Hull teach the kids how to do wicked slapshots from the slot and give good quotes to the medias!

Hehe, I'm sure Brett Hull would be a great influence on guys like Higgins & Ryder. He could probably teach them how to score goals off their skates and make them look legit, in the crease or not :P.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Bossy in there. Multiple cup winner, brings a different slant to the game (ie Offense) - yet part of winning tradition. Obviously good with the French media. I haven't watched or heard any of his commentaries in a long time though ... is he 'out-to-lunch'? or do you think he may actually be a good fit?

what if THIS Kirk shows up as assistant coach? :P

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1986-87 New Jersey Devils NHL 79 26 50 76 75 -- -- -- -- --

1987-88 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 37 57 94 114 20 4 8 12 37

1988-89 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 31 43 74 119 -- -- -- -- --

1989-90 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 30 56 86 74 6 1 3 4 11

1990-91 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 19 51 70 76 7 0 2 2 10

1991-92 Montreal Canadiens NHL 78 36 41 77 86 11 4 3 7 31

1992-93 Montreal Canadiens NHL 80 37 57 94 77 20 10 7 17 18

1993-94 Montreal Canadiens NHL 76 23 34 57 96 7 6 2 8 4

Edit wow, the stats are messed out. 1st four numbers are for reg season, then playoffs, even on the decline, Kirk scored 6 goals in 7 games in 93-94 :o

GOOOOOOOOO KIRK!!!

Kirk Muller: in mtl for an interview with Carbo

Mario Tremblay: has been fired by the habs, notoriously moody, big ego, etc

Denis Savard: not really tied to carbo, to my knowledge

Larry Robinson: might get a better offer from NJ to support CJ

Mike Bossy: LOL, he should stick to humour :)

Sylvain Lefevbre: was just named elsewhere, tells me that he wasn't even considered, otherwise, he'd have waited before accepting

Brian Skrudland: why not... but what's the difference with Jarvis? :P

Brett Hull: WOW, however, 1. not sure he'd want to coach. 2 even if he would wanna coach, not sure he'd take something in Canada... this is a guy who opted to play for TEAM USA

Craig Ludwig: RDS said he's out of the race

Donald Dufresne: lol

Stephan Lebeau: lol

Chris Nilan: Hehe, a special coach for Begin, Murray, Downey, etc :P

Problem with your description of Mario Tremblay, if you had seen his recent interviews you would see he does NOT have an ego, what he does have is difficulty suffering arrogant people who think they are more important then the team they are part of. He believes in a work ethic and team players.

what if THIS Kirk shows up as assistant coach? :P

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1986-87 New Jersey Devils NHL 79 26 50 76 75 -- -- -- -- --

1987-88 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 37 57 94 114 20 4 8 12 37

1988-89 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 31 43 74 119 -- -- -- -- --

1989-90 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 30 56 86 74 6 1 3 4 11

1990-91 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 19 51 70 76 7 0 2 2 10

1991-92 Montreal Canadiens NHL 78 36 41 77 86 11 4 3 7 31

1992-93 Montreal Canadiens NHL 80 37 57 94 77 20 10 7 17 18

1993-94 Montreal Canadiens NHL 76 23 34 57 96 7 6 2 8 4

Edit wow, the stats are messed out. 1st four numbers are for reg season, then playoffs, even on the decline, Kirk scored 6 goals in 7 games in 93-94 :o

Heeee... look at the years. Back in those days, the standards was that a "good" goalscorer would rack 40+ goals and a "good" offensive forward 90+ points. Remember, those were the days where you'd get 8 or 9 50-goals scorers and a dozen players close to 100 points. When Muller notched 94 pts in 87-88, there was 17 players above 90 points. In 92-93 there was 31 players above 90 pts.

Compared to right now (except this season), there was only 1 player above 90 pts in 2003-2004 (Martin St-Louis at 94), only 8 the season before (Topped by Foppa at 106), 2 the previous season (Iginla and Naslund at 96 and 90 pts), etc.

So Muller's stats are not that great given the era he played in. If you want to compare him to a player of this current era, I'd say compare him to a Doan, a Brind'Amour or a Conroy. Guys who were good enough to be 1st liners, but not really "offensive" players per se.

Beside, Muller himself said that he has a more "defensive-first" mentality and that's why he'd get along well with Carbo.

What about Brian Bellows :lol:

well, I checked hockeydb and, in 92-93, Muller was top of the crop. had as many goals as Bondra.

Bellows had scored 55 goals before coming to Montreal, and had 4 seasons where he got over a point per game. He was a superstar!!!!! ;)

92-93? Man that year was crazy. 2 players with 76 goals (Mogilny & Selanne), 13 players over 50 goals, 10 players over 120 points (Pierre Turgeon had 132!), Oates, LaFontaine and Gilmour had more assists alone than Muller had points!. Lemieux had 69 goals, 91 assists and 160 points... in just 60 games! (almost 3 pts per game). Belfour got the Jennings that year with a 2.59 GAA. I think he was the only regular goalie under 3.00 GAA that season!

I thinkMuller is too inexperienced. Muller, himselt said he would want to gain more minor-league experience before considering coaching in the NHL. I really believe that he'll coach for us in 1-3 seasons but not right now. I like the idea of a Brett Hull or someone. Just because he can score, doesn't mean he can coach but I still would like to see an offensive guy with some tips for our forwards. Right now, all our coaches are defensive.

I just realized: we can't have Muller as assistant-coach. He played for the Leafs for crissake!!!

Automatic non-eligibility!!!

:P

Ewwwww :(

Might be the equivalent feeling on how Leaf fans felt when Gilmour signed to play with Montreal.

Hey Muller being instrumental in bringing a cup to Montreal in '93 far outweights him playing for the leafs

Very true... without the controversal call in the previous LA vs TO round, Muller might have scored that Cup-winning goal against the Laffs themselves!!!

'Word on the street' has it that Muller is a (if not THE) frontrunner on this...

but stranger things have happened.

:king: :hlogo: :king: