Faith In Ribeiro

KoZed

If I remember right that was against the Bruins and not TB. After that game we won 3 straight games to win the series.

No. I'm 100% sure this was TB. I remember the shot and everything. After taking the slash, Kovalev blocked off OSuray and prevented him form getting back. It was either St Louis or Brad Richards who scored it. He shot from a little while out. Theo barely moved.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I'm 100% sure this was TB. I remember the shot and everything. After taking the slash, Kovalev blocked off OSuray and prevented him form getting back. It was either St Louis or Brad Richards who scored it. He shot from a little while out. Theo barely moved.

That game was the third game against boston in second ot. The player who scored on the breakaway was glen murray.I remember because I was there and thougth that the series was done for the habs at that time, trailing 3 games to one.

And I'm 100% sure that it was Boston... :D

The goal was scored by Glen Murray in double OT... Beat Theo low stick-side... Good shot, but Theo shoulda had it.

http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/stanle...canadiens040413

No. I'm 100% sure this was TB. I remember the shot and everything. After taking the slash, Kovalev blocked off OSuray and prevented him form getting back. It was either St Louis or Brad Richards who

IT was not St. Louis and it was not Brad Richards. It wasn't even Tampa Bay.

It was against Boston and it was Glen Murray who scored it.

Sorry, it was vs Boston. Game 4 in Montreal. Murray scored on that play, putting Boston up 3-1 in the series. Everybody thought the Habs were done then. Next game in Boston the Habs destroyed the Bruins 5-1 and the Habs won 3 straight.

You bring up a lot of good point KoZeD. I agree with you that maybe Carbo can shape Ribeiro into a better team player and make him focus more on his game. I could deal with one more year with Ribs to see what happens with him but I am not sure if he is well liked by the other players of the team.

And I'm 100% sure that it was Boston... :D

The goal was scored by Glen Murray in double OT... Beat Theo low stick-side... Good shot, but Theo shoulda had it.

http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/stanle...canadiens040413

are you frikkin serious!? :P

I may be losing my memory at an early age. I always associated that goal with TB.

With the centers remaining I want to stick with Ribs. At least he isnt 30+ and can develope more. Id love to sign a good winger like Samsonov or Sykora but they might even not be good enough to battle against AK46, Latendresse, PereShogun and the others. Maybe its best to let the team be as it is and see what will happen. Pls hockeygods.. Let us have a unknown OvechkinG in the making.

With the centers remaining I want to stick with Ribs. At least he isnt 30+ and can develope more. Id love to sign a good winger like Samsonov or Sykora but they might even not be good enough to battle against AK46, Latendresse, PereShogun and the others. Maybe its best to let the team be as it is and see what will happen. Pls hockeygods.. Let us have a unknown OvechkinG in the making.

When all else fails do nothing and see what happens. If Montreal trys Ribeiro at Center on the second line again and he fails after 30 games, what next? Would it be too late to slot Higgins back at center or promote Plekanec to second line center.

I would like to see the number 1 and number 2 center spots solidified at training camp. Koivu comes back from injury and takes #1. Let the centers fight it out for the number 2 spot. Just giving it to him is not right as he has not earned it.

Plekanec might be close to ready to step in as our #2 C; but even as a rookie last season he was already better defensively than either Koivu or Ribeiro. So do we push him or keep him in the #3 slot to benefit from his defensive game while letting him develop without any pressure to produce offensively? (Its a rhetorical question.)

My guess is: Koivu-Ribs-Plekanec-Bonk; then when Chipchura is ready he jumps in the #3 or #4 slot, pushing Pleks up to #2 and Ribs' out...

And call me crazy once again; but Pleks might steal that #1 spot from Koivu too.

When all else fails do nothing and see what happens. If Montreal trys Ribeiro at Center on the second line again and he fails after 30 games, what next? Would it be too late to slot Higgins back at center or promote Plekanec to second line center.

I would like to see the number 1 and number 2 center spots solidified at training camp. Koivu comes back from injury and takes #1. Let the centers fight it out for the number 2 spot. Just giving it to him is not right as he has not earned it.

I really don't like the idea of tryig Higgins at center. One of his best talents is work along the boards. More importantly though is that he will be starting his second year in the league. I think shifting him to a new position could ruin or greatly set back his development. Let him continue to progress. Don't mess with what could be a very good thing.

If we have to we can trade for another center.

I really don't like the idea of tryig Higgins at center. One of his best talents is work along the boards. More importantly though is that he will be starting his second year in the league. I think shifting him to a new position could ruin or greatly set back his development. Let him continue to progress. Don't mess with what could be a very good thing.

If we have to we can trade for another center.

Personally I think Ribiero stinks. He is too small too weak and not a good skater to boot. What gets me is why did he get 1.9M and Fedetenko get less? Cmon BG, I know no one wants him either, Id rather you didnt sign him

I've just read Jacques Demers' autobiography at work (yeah, I had that kinda time to do that). It's a very interesting read, especially for the "behind the scenes" stuff.

Anyways, there was one part of the book that caught my attention when Demers talked about his time in Detroit. He was in his 4th season there, and after a great turnaround, the Wings had hit a peak, had troubles in the locker-room (Probert, Klima in particular) and it was time for the Wings to shake things up a bit.

So the Wings swapped a couple of players around. One of those deals saw Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney go to Detroit in return of Paul MacLean and Adam Oates.

The rest, as they say, is history. Oates broke out in St-Louis, was great in Boston and was an anchor in Washington and piled up points in the 15 seasons he played after his departure from Detroit.

Demers aknowledges how Oates made that trade look bad. He said he got alot of heat after that trade because people accused him of only wanting to coach his ex-player from St-Louis (Federko). So Demers defended himself by saying that Oates was just a 2nd-line center, was stuck behind Yzerman, that Detroit thought Shawn Burr was on the way up to be the #2 center, that Oates had two subpar seasons and very dissapointing playoffs, etc.

Sounds familiar?

I'm not saying Ribeiro will go on to have 5 or 6 100+ pts seasons and rack up 1400+ pts for the rest of his career if we trade him; but the flaws attributed to him are much the same as Oates (slow, small, weak) and he's stuck in the same position Oates was when Detroit dealt him. He's actually the same age Oates was before his last season in Detroit.

In any case, if Gainey trades Ribs, I just hope he doesnt trade him to a team that has a Brett Hull in the making.

One big difference however is that Ribeiro has had 6 seasons to show what he can do, and he has yet to impress anyone. Also, he had more than his fair number of chances to shine and take the spotlight with the many injuries to Saku Koivu, but unfortunately every time we need Ribeiro to step up, he disappears.

Ribeiro has some great skills in some areas, but is also very limited in others. I'm sure he could find a niche in the NHL with 60-70 point seasons, which aren't bad by themselves, but to me these points are the equivalent of empty calories in a diet; the food tastes ok, but it just doesn't provide you with the nutrients you need. I think his flaws overweight whatever offensive contribution he can make, and I doubt he'll ever be a key member of a successful, contending team.

That's why I think we need to stop wasting any more time on developing Ribeiro, and either sign an established center or give a chance to another kid in the organization (Plekanec, Locke, Aubin, Chipchura, ...), and hope he does better.

Edited by CerebusClone

Plekanec might be close to ready to step in as our #2 C; but even as a rookie last season he was already better defensively than either Koivu or Ribeiro. So do we push him or keep him in the #3 slot to benefit from his defensive game while letting him develop without any pressure to produce offensively? (Its a rhetorical question.)

My guess is: Koivu-Ribs-Plekanec-Bonk; then when Chipchura is ready he jumps in the #3 or #4 slot, pushing Pleks up to #2 and Ribs' out...

And call me crazy once again; but Pleks might steal that #1 spot from Koivu too.

Ok, I will. ^_^

Plekanec is a good player; don't get me wrong. But I don't believe he's got enough offensive skill to be a first line centre.

Ok, I will. ^_^

Plekanec is a good player; don't get me wrong. But I don't believe he's got enough offensive skill to be a first line centre.

I think it's possible but that he'll probably end up as a 2nd line C. Plekanec's offensive game is underrated because people mostly notice his checking abilities first. Not only is he a fantatsic playmaker but he also arguably has the best shot on the team (and we have Kovalev, Souray on our team).

I think it's possible but that he'll probably end up as a 2nd line C. Plekanec's offensive game is underrated because people mostly notice his checking abilities first. Not only is he a fantatsic playmaker but he also arguably has the best shot on the team (and we have Kovalev, Souray on our team).

Aye, remember his slap-shot goal on Belfour? Heheheh...

Aye, remember his slap-shot goal on Belfour? Heheheh...

Yup. And if you can look back at a beautiful breakaway goal on Tim Thomas and then his first game back from injury. He scored twice and added an assist in a 7-3 loss to Carolina. He shows off 1st line talent in that game.

THe fact is the NHL is kinda getting away from guys like Mike Ribeiro. While he is a small forward (height and weight wise), and there are guys thriving in the NHL who are small, he can't skate and has no work ethic, especially in the defensive zone. And in todays NHL if you can't skate, can't take a hit, and are not willing to play good defensive zone hockey, you will not be successfull in the NHL. So unless Mike Ribeiro has a major attitude adjustment, he's not going to succeed. But he's going to sign and be on the roster come October, so heres hoping that his attitude improves and he enjoys a successfull season in 2006/7

THe fact is the NHL is kinda getting away from guys like Mike Ribeiro. While he is a small forward (height and weight wise), and there are guys thriving in the NHL who are small, he can't skate and has no work ethic, especially in the defensive zone. And in todays NHL if you can't skate, can't take a hit, and are not willing to play good defensive zone hockey, you will not be successfull in the NHL.

You basically just described Marc Savard.

• 1 month later...

Ribs is enrolled in a power skating clinic for junior and professional hockey players.

Incidentally Patrice Bergeron's attending the clinic for the fourth summer in a row.

However it is you quantify skating ability, the hockey school rep maintains most persons improve their strides by 20-25%.

French radio link

Meh... let's see what's to see in any improvement.

Edited by MCeh

The way I see it, when Arnott was signed by Atlanta and the UFA center position was dry Ribeiro was signed. Bob knows we lack the position so he'd might as well go with him is the logic I figure. And, maybe Bob challenged him in a lot of ways. This is a theory. He was willing to give him that contract but ask that he give 110% all the time instead of when he's in the mood.

That's all that really has to change. We have all seen him burrow around defencemen. He can drive hard to the net. Even evade an experienced D's check and getting the puck to the slot. He can do the job. But, he's gotta show up more. Not once or twice every 5 games. But 3 or 4. Hence, the contract and maybe the challenge.

Many people criticise the contract but do we ever know what's going on behind the scenes?

I think he'll make that transition. He's fighting for another contract and he must want to silence his critics.

My faith in Ribeiro is limited to the jury still being out on him. This question will be answered this season.

Go Ribs!

Go Habs!

:hlogo: