Faith In Ribeiro

KoZed

Funny how many people have come to support Ribeiro now that it appears we are stuck with him for another season. I couldn't smell a Ribeiro supporter for 100 miles when everyone thought we were going to get a FA to replace him.

No one would support a Ribeiro against an Arnott or a Demitra if Gainey had brought any of them to up-graded the center position he plays in.......but Bob asn't.

I wouldn't support Koivu against a better no.1 replacement neither if Gainey had brought one in.

Both are not stellar at their respective role with the club but both can shine brither if they are appropriatly surrounded. Gainey has said himself that he wanted to-bring in an offensive forward during the summer....if he does bring-in a decent one will be fine next year.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fanpuck, maybe you'll have to sniff better or just read between the lines...

I'm not sure that staying in Montreal is the best thing for Ribeiro nor the Canadiens.

Maybe Ribeiro could blossom to a star in another city? Maybe Arnott would have been a better fit for the Habs.

But Ribs are here and Arnott went to Nashville. Not much to do about it right now.

I was a Ribeiro defender until last season. Like KoZed, I saw this guy's development from a nothing punk into a guy who worked hard to get his skating, faceoff prowess, and even defensive awareness up to a level where he could actually use some of his offensive vision to help the team. BUT: what bothered me most about last season - points aside - was that he didn't seem to show the same level of creativity out there. Whereas in 2003-04 he frequently dipsy-doodled his way out of tough situations and created all sorts of space on the ice, in 2005-06 I don't think he got me out of my seat once. Too many of his points came as a simple result of, say, Ryder scoring rather after taking a routine pass, rather than any display of upper-echelon playmaking skills. And I think it has to do with his slow skating. In the 'new NHL' his cement feet are much more of a liability. This worries me because I question whether he can get much faster at age 26. That's why I no longer believe in Ribs. (Plus he's still kind of a punk :D )

Since we failed to replace him with a strong UFA, I sure hope he proves me wrong... <_<

I was a Ribeiro defender until last season. Like KoZed, I saw this guy's development from a nothing punk into a guy who worked hard to get his skating, faceoff prowess, and even defensive awareness up to a level where he could actually use some of his offensive vision to help the team. BUT: what bothered me most about last season - points aside - was that he didn't seem to show the same level of creativity out there. Whereas in 2003-04 he frequently dipsy-doodled his way out of tough situations and created all sorts of space on the ice, in 2005-06 I don't think he got me out of my seat once. Too many of his points came as a simple result of, say, Ryder scoring rather after taking a routine pass, rather than any display of upper-echelon playmaking skills. And I think it has to do with his slow skating. In the 'new NHL' his cement feet are much more of a liability. This worries me because I question whether he can get much faster at age 26. That's why I no longer believe in Ribs. (Plus he's still kind of a punk :D )

Since we failed to replace him with a strong UFA, I sure hope he proves me wrong... <_<

I have to add the pertinences of your observations to the many inherently relevant ones made by Kozed

a little earlier on,....they pretty much cover it all as far as I am concerned.

A little unexpectedly,....the new NHL has toned down on the main goods that Ribeiro was able to deliver under the infractions tolerant NHL of the previous season.

There is quite a few smallish players in the NHL that where expected to flourish under the new ruled game but

that have experience a set-back instead. On the other hand, a few others, even of the slow footed variety,

like Marc Savard or Yannick Perreault which seems to have been doing better than fine.

The on-ice environment has changed and they are many players out there that will have to figure for themselves what best they can do to improved their lot within the new game......I believe Ribeiro is one of them and I believe that now that it all sank-in......he is already at work in this young summer to get what need to be done in order to get his edge back and fully operationnal under the new NHL context. I dont know if he will succeed but I feel that he will desperatly try everything he can to keep on playing hockey, specially here in Montreal.

Well, for me it is simple: Support our Habs.

Had Ribs gone and we picked up Arnott/Whomever, it would be different. Looks as if Ribeiro starts the season with Montréal, so I can only hope he (and the entire team) plays well.

1. Yes he's still young, guys -- really he is, let's not panic yet.

2. Maybe makes a difference Dagenais and Theodore are gone?

3. Go Habs Go. Go Habs Go. Go Habs Go.

I can't stand Ribs. I hope he goes away quickly.

Motivation won't change the facts that he is extremelly slow, small and easily pushed aside and off the puck, that he is not physical and afraid of the boards and that he as no shot and not that good at face-offs. Motivation can only make him more responsible defensively, which would be a big plus already. He's simply not what we need to be a top team.

Yes we are stuck with him for now, apparently, and hopefully Carbonneau will be able to make him dedicated and more responsible defensively for the time we are STUCK with him.

Getting Shanny would be great, I would not be worried about that line because of Shanny and Kovalev.

A Shanny-Ribs-Kovy line would be a major upgrade on last year's line where the LW was a revolving door.

Besides, we always have Plecks to take is place once he shows us once and for all that he needs to go ASAP.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

This reminds me of the entire Theo situation. As obvious as it was that Theo was in dire straights, some fans still say it was a HUGE mistake to trade him. As obvious as it is that Ribs needs to go...........

The three amigos were trouble, Bob saw it, Bob fixed it.

Theo sucked, Bob saw it, Bob fixed it.

Ribs sucks, Bob sees it, Bob will fix it.

That ice flopping crap against Boston was the turning point for me, what an ass.

I can't stand Ribs. I hope he goes away quickly.

Motivation won't change the facts that he is extremelly slow, small and easily pushed aside and off the puck, that he is not physical and afraid of the boards and that he as no shot and not that good at face-offs. Motivation can only make him more responsible defensively, which would be a big plus already. He's simply not what we need to be a top team.

Yes we are stuck with him for now, apparently, and hopefully Carbonneau will be able to make him dedicated and more responsible defensively for the time we are STUCK with him.

Getting Shanny would be great, I would not be worried about that line because of Shanny and Kovalev.

A Shanny-Ribs-Kovy line would be a major upgrade on last year's line where the LW was a revolving door.

Besides, we always have Plecks to take is place once he shows us once and for all that he needs to go ASAP.

Ahh.. A breath of fresh air in this thread. Excellent job KTC!

If Ribeiro is in the lineup and starts at the 2nd line center position than of course Montreal fans should be cheering for him. I will not boo him, just get irritaded when he disappears. It would be nice to see him SHUT DOWN his critics and people who doubt him (Me). It just is not going to happen as he probably is very comfortable in Montreal and knows there is no star centerman to replace him.

I want to see Plekanec to start the season at 2nd line center. But that is just me.

I want to see Plekanec to start the season at 2nd line center. But that is just me.

No, thats not just you! Thats all of us. Ribeiro has had his chance, now Plekanec has shown that he can play, and he deserves a chance to play second line minutes. Ribeiro doesn't want to skate, and doesn't want to play defense. Plekanec does both of those things very well. Lets see what he can do!

I think that Ribs can still do the job if he (sigh!) skates, my bias towards him is the fact that he has made me look stupid while playing against him. that being sayed: TRUE DAT when everybody who sayz: Plekanec deserves the 2nd line center job, TRUE DAT when it is sayed: the other teams don't really think about stopping the second year player, but if BG can get Shanny (wishfully hoping) does anyone think he may still have a spot on the 1st/2nd line since Koivu seems to be playing hurt or hurt half the season???

I'm just saying that Koivu may be better off for the next season anyway to play the 3rd line, we still don't know about his eye anyway.

Edited by ehjay

I would love to see Montreal with two good offensive lines.

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins.

Shanahan-Plekanec-Kovalev.

This would take some of the pressure talk off of Bonk's crazy contract and maybe he would be able to produce more with Perezhogin on his wing with one of my favorites Begin on the line.

The GOOD thing with Montreal is that they have a good nucleus that should be able to challange for the last spot, maybe higher. With the new Cap system it is just too new to tell who is going to really challenge for the cup. Shanahan would be a nice addition because he has won Cups, scores goals and is a vocal leader and knows what to do.

Signing Shanahan just pushed one of the young kids to the 3rd or 4th line or maybe even the pressbox. Its not worth it.

Lets let the young kids develop and see where that leads us. They did pretty well last year and can only get better

After reading kaos' post and seeing our top 6 I've just realised that we currently have 7 top 6 forwards (excluding Ribs, Bonk and Zednik) and and not enough place to play all the kids where they belong. Kostitsyn does not belong on a checking line hence I think Higgins has to move down to line #3 as a TW player. Kostitsyn will be more than enough of an offensive replacement.

That would leave us with:

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Bonk-Zednik

Murray-Begin-Downey

with Lapierre as a possible starter over Downey if he makes the team.

Those lines, to me, look much more solid then the ones with Kostitsyn and/or Zhog on a checking line which is just ineffective. Of course, adding Shanahan would be an upgrade. Sure, he takes away minutes from one of the kids but he also teaches them how to win, shows them a class of player thye've never played with before, guides them with his leadership, makes them get used to winning and leads by example - all things that easily replace a couple of lost shifts. I doubt Shanahan's coming here though but if we can find a better center for the Kovalev line then we should get him and Plekanec will do just fine in a TW way role on the 3rd line with his buddy Higgins.

We don't know that Kostityn is ready for the NHL. For all we know he could have a rough training camp and get sent down the the minors.

Or he could have a merely pedestrian year like Perezhogin.

Of course the hope is he'll play like Higgins did last year and contribute bigtime offensively.

The paper in France (?) that ran the story on Ribs talking about Koivu's leadership stands by its story (though so long after the incident, I don't have the link anymore). However they were contacted by the Canadiens and (I believe) the NHLPA as well as Ribs' agent in order to supress the story.

It was not a scrum along the boards where Ribs hit Koivu, it was in the slot area, and Ribs high-sticked his captain during a very difficult time during the season.

And Ryder was completely miffed when Ribs indicated that his passes weren't being finished properly. After regrouping the next day (and probably having a talk with Ribs and the management) Ryder came back the next day to spin it all in a slightly more positive fashion.

Ribsy is one of the last classless louts in Montreal, and it might actually be interesting to watch them if he gets dealt. It's been rather fun to watch Gainey slowly get rid of all the classless elements associated with the team, actually. More fun than watching them play.

we are four days into the FA period. There are still some FA's lying around and trading has barely begun. Trust that with some of these huge acquisitions, the trading dominos will start to fall.

ribs showed me some flashes of quality towards the end of last season and I dont think he is quite so horrid as some make him out to be. That being said, it quite probably is not enough and one must wonder how much more he will develop in the short term. Also, the great flop still bugs me.

Signing Shanahan just pushed one of the young kids to the 3rd or 4th line or maybe even the pressbox. Its not worth it.

Lets let the young kids develop and see where that leads us. They did pretty well last year and can only get better

Yawn. I'm tired of waiting for Montreal to be nothing more than lets just make the playoffs type team. (This is gone on far too long)

Sit Zednik down or the press box and insert Shanahan, this takes no young forwards spot. Plus which of the young wingers deserves this spot which has Shanahan's abilities? (Asuming Mr. Shanahan would sign with the Habs, otherwise this is a moot point)

Can someone please explain me "the great flop" from the Boston game. All I remember is him getting in a fight with Boynton and then Boynton getting suspended for spearing him. No "flopping in center ice." Or is this flopping incident from a ocmpletely different game?

The worth of having proven offensive veterans that performed at a level that is cleary above the one expected from our rookis is clear to me.

The problem with the more expensive veterans is when they DONT perform any better than some of the players playing in Hamilton.

Bonk's monopolising the fourth center role over a young guy is more than questionable,...so is Zednick on the third line and even worse on the higher lines.......but they are no questions on the valu of Koivu, Kovalev and

the same would apply to Shanahan.

Bob's job is to bring in the right veterans and to get rid of the useless ones.......if Gainey can do that....

everyone gain from it.

Signing Shanny wouldnt push a kid down the depth chart. Shanahan would just slide in Bulis' slot on the LW.

The flopping incident was agains the Bruins in the 2004 playoffs. Ribs fell to the ice flopping his legs and holding his shoulder. After the trainer checked him and all, he was back up and taunting the Bruins' bench on his way to the Habs' bench.

People got all pissed because they thought he faked the injury and was embarassing. I guess most of them are too young to remember Raymond Bourque in pulling the same tactic against us to draw a penalty and winking at his teammates on his way back to the bench; but who cares...

It was from Game 3 of that Boston series. I don't recall the circumstances leading to him being on the ice, but he was down on the ice writhing in pain for a few minutes, and as soon as he got to the bench he was laughing it up.

Can someone please explain me "the great flop" from the Boston game. All I remember is him getting in a fight with Boynton and then Boynton getting suspended for spearing him. No "flopping in center ice." Or is this flopping incident from a ocmpletely different game?

If you like fact over interpretations only Ribeiro or his physio can tell you about it. Same goes for the

Koivu-Ribeiro altercation during practice.....listening to people talking about it is a joke.

Signing Shanny wouldnt push a kid down the depth chart. Shanahan would just slide in Bulis' slot on the LW.

The flopping incident was agains the Bruins in the 2004 playoffs. Ribs fell to the ice flopping his legs and holding his shoulder. After the trainer checked him and all, he was back up and taunting the Bruins' bench on his way to the Habs' bench.

People got all pissed because they thought he faked the injury and was embarassing. I guess most of them are too young to remember Raymond Bourque in pulling the same tactic against us to draw a penalty and winking at his teammates on his way back to the bench; but who cares...

Ah I slightly remember that. That's where those hilarious pictures of Ribeiro's face in pain come from.

But remember against the Lightning, in OT, when Kovalev apparently got a slash to the hand and let the puck slide by him and TB scored on the breakaway it gave them? Then Kovalev was just fine 2 seconds later. People blamed him for faking it but now everyone forgets about it.

By the way.. I like Kovalev, I'm not bashing him or anything. Just wondering.

Ah I slightly remember that. That's where those hilarious pictures of Ribeiro's face in pain come from.

But remember against the Lightning, in OT, when Kovalev apparently got a slash to the hand and let the puck slide by him and TB scored on the breakaway it gave them? Then Kovalev was just fine 2 seconds later. People blamed him for faking it but now everyone forgets about it.

By the way.. I like Kovalev, I'm not bashing him or anything. Just wondering.

If I remember right that was against the Bruins and not TB. After that game we won 3 straight games to win the series.