Islanders Need A New Gm

MAK

Icelanders are a mess - they need Potvin & Lafontain, Trottier - the old guard to come back and add stability

if not ...

NYC market will go from 3 teams to 2.

and that's sad - cuz the NY market is different from most US cities - the hockey niche is big and strong.

when i lived there - i could actually talk hockey with strangers.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icelanders are a mess - they need Potvin & Lafontain, Trottier - the old guard to come back and add stability

furthermore, they need an owner who undertsands the game and give carte blanche to the hockey personnel

Ha ha..say what u want about those pictures, but I bet we all wish we were there in place of Garth. Does that make him a good GM..hell no, unless he's picking a team for the bikini contest! Anyhow, the Islanders latest moves do indeed remind me of the Houle hiring, and I think they will see the same disasterous results. The best thing fans of this team can hope for is Mr Wang loses interest and sells the team.

*** NEW Update!

The Saga continues. Garth, posts an open letter to all Isle's Fans...

My philosophy as a manager is the same. Now, I don't want you to think I'm going to be a bully with the press or heckling fans. That's not my style and I accept it as part of the business. But I will make my feelings clear at all times: on or off the ice, don't take a cheap shot at our guys.

I understand that I need to earn your confidence and respect over time. Over the next few weeks, I want to hear from Islander fans. I've asked the team to set up an email address where you can send questions and I'll answer as many as I can on the site. (Don't worry; my days are long enough to manage the team and address your questions). Comments are encouraged, too. Let's communicate and let's get behind the Orange and Blue.

full article.

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/a/gs_openletter.asp

I"m not impressed.. his lack of experience is very evident; not sure this letter was appropriately written. Then again I"m not sure I could have written a letter to fans defending the owners decisions. The owner should have written this letter, not Garth. So I"ll give him credit for giving it a good effort.

Edited by Chips

*** NEW Update!

The Saga continues. Garth, posts an open letter to all Isle's Fans...

My philosophy as a manager is the same. Now, I don't want you to think I'm going to be a bully with the press or heckling fans. That's not my style and I accept it as part of the business. But I will make my feelings clear at all times: on or off the ice, don't take a cheap shot at our guys.

I understand that I need to earn your confidence and respect over time. Over the next few weeks, I want to hear from Islander fans. I've asked the team to set up an email address where you can send questions and I'll answer as many as I can on the site. (Don't worry; my days are long enough to manage the team and address your questions). Comments are encouraged, too. Let's communicate and let's get behind the Orange and Blue.

full article.

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/a/gs_openletter.asp

I"m not impressed.. his lack of experience is very evident; not sure this letter was appropriately written. Then again I"m not sure I could have written a letter to fans defending the owners decisions. The owner should have written this letter, not Garth. So I"ll give him credit for giving it a good effort.

I hope, for the Islanders sake (not that I'm an Islanders fan) that they don't go through another Milbury-like tenure or, like we did, a Houle-like tenure. :( :puke:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

• 7 months later...

LOL for the moment Islanders are doing well. I bet no media or fans want Snow's head after the trade dealdline as we do here in Montréal for Gainey.

The only big move that i still don't understand is the 15 years contract to Dipietro...

I will fully admit I was not a fan of the Islanders off season move to bring in GM Garth.

But with this move to bring Smyth into the mix and by giving up IMO absolutely nothing; I'll give Garth a thumbs up! and if he's able to re-sign him, for big big BIG bucks! which I think they can, then I"ll vote for Garth as "NHL Executive of the Year".

LOL for the moment Islanders are doing well. I bet no media or fans want Snow's head after the trade dealdline as we do here in Montréal for Gainey.

The only big move that i still don't understand is the 15 years contract to Dipietro...

That was all Wang's neogiation/decision. Probably part of the reason Smith didn't work out. Wang wanted to make that signing the previous offseason with DiPietro, but they ran into problems with insurance ont he deal. Apparently those issues were solved in the next year, and Wang went ahead with it. Snow let his boss handle the DiPietro file and has worked around it. Wang had also advised Milbury on the Yashin contract, since Yashin was supposed to be a tough signing. Wang simply told Milbury to "go long" and they'd get it done. So they did. Fortunately, DiPietro's contract value is fairly reasonable, whereas Yashin's is ridiculous.

It truely is ironic.

A team whose GM made some of the worst trades ever replaces their GM with a goalie who had just retired and has no experience and then manages to pull off some of the biggest deals at the trade deadline.

I really dont think anybody saw this comming at all.

with an owner like wang, expect everything

In fact they actually tried to do it the summer before but they decided it was better for a one year contract...and now Dipietro's laughing all they way to the bank !!

Mr. Wang, Mr. Snow?

How does Corey Locke (2 time Red Tilson Trophy winner (OHL most outstanding player), First Team All-Star in 2004, 2003 CHL Player of the Year, CHL Top Scorer Award in 2003, First Team All-Star in 2003) for Bruno Gervais (a 6th round pick in '03-182th overall, 3 goals in 78 NHL games) sounds? Straight up.

Deal?

:ninja:

Corey Locke

2001-02 Ottawa 67's 55GP 18G-25A-43PTS

2002-03 Ottawa 67's 66GP 63G-88A-151PTS

2003-04 Ottawa 67's 65GP 51G-67A-118PTS

When Snow was hired I found it quite amusing as did a lot of other observers, but the man's doing far better than Mike Milbury.

Snow's not an idiot as some people like to think. Contrary to the norm for pro athletes, he holds a post-graduate university degree in business administration.

But with this move to bring Smyth into the mix and by giving up IMO absolutely nothing

It was enough to really weaken their prospect pool. If they can't re-sign Smyth, it wasn't really worth it.

A move I liked by Snow was bringing in Kozlov in the offseason.