Did The Sens Draft A Dead Player?

MAK

What?

They scouted someone early and the he died?

for what I remember and heard the guy had died a couple of weeks beore the draft.

no tony, it was in the early day..I believe the 1st draft or something. they had a gm that was totally clueless

I believe he drafted a guy that was already taken earlier..you see the type..and we bitch about rejean houle :lol:

I think thats the guy since there's no stats on him and while all the other draftees have some stats on them.

Jaroslav Miklenda

Selected by Ottawa Senators round 7 #146 overall 1992 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

Use these stats! | View as text

Ok! after looking at that last link to the unprotected list; I'm hoping and praying we don't have to go through that again in the near future. I'd hate to loose any of our current roster or prospects.

Ok! after looking at that last link to the unprotected list; I'm hoping and praying we don't have to go through that again in the near future. I'd hate to loose any of our current roster or prospects.

I really, really doubt the NHL expands again anytime soon.

There won't be any more expansion in the NHL and they've done away with the waiver draft. No more protected/unprotected lists.

Montreal & Minnesota North Stars (I think) drafted players who died after they were drafted. I think the Canadiens player was Neil Carnes (Selected round 3 #46 overall 1988 NHL Entry Draft) but I'm not sure.

I forget who was the North Stars player (Warren Babe rings a bell). It could have been another team too.

Bottom line, I do remember a fairly high picked player by the Canadiens who was killed in a motorbike accident back in the mid to late 80's or early 90's.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

There was an article recently about the top 10 Embarrassing moments in NHL. And #8 was Ottawa at the draft table. I think you were referring to this. It doesn't say the player was dead, but "ineligible".

8. Ottawa apologizes: June 18, 1992

Now, as a national capital, Ottawa often has a lot to apologize for -- Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's six-and-five plan to whip inflation in the 1980s, the Sponsorship Scandal that wound up toppling a Liberal government -- but at the 1992 expansion draft, it was a franchised, embryonic Senators who felt obliged to apologize. Twice.

The man offering the apologies in a Montreal hotel ballroom was general manager Mel Bridgman, an ex-NHL player who was a graduate of Penn's renowned Wharton School. The man could crunch a number. Alas, he could also take a pratfall.

Now the details of the debacle have been obscured, and there are several versions of what went wrong that fateful day. The Senators' laptop wasn't functioning properly -- there was no outlet nearby and the battery was too weak -- and, at least according to legend, Bridgman's advisor, John Ferguson, had misplaced a hard copy of the team's draft list. (At this point, is it irony or piling on to mention that Ottawa is the high-tech capital of the country?) Bridgman, flying blind, twice tried to draft players who were ineligible, forcing him to utter words that have haunted the star-crossed franchise ever since: "Ottawa apologizes."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cnns...i&type=lgns

I've been looking around on Wikipedia, and the 1992 NHL Expansion Draft was held on June 18. The 1992 NHL Supplemental Draft took place on June 19. The 1992 NHL Entry Draft was held on June 20th.

This makes me beleive the mistakes have happened at the Expansion Draft... worth looking into?