Hockey Night In Canada Could Move To Ctv

Pierre the Great

Wouldn't that be wild! :o:o:o

Before the advent of RDS, I watched hockey either on CBC or Radio-Canada (French CBC). It's been that way since I was a little boy in the 1950's. :mellow:

Talk about a shift in the cultural landscape. :blink:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Yeah, the death of Canadian culture. Give me a break! lol

You can't fault CBC if they can't match the offer. According to the report, they currently pay 65 million for the rights and earn 30 million in profits. That means their broadcasts bring in around 95 million each year. If they were to match the 140 million a year offer, they would lose in excess of 40 million each year.

And you are crazy if you think that CTV would pay that much money for all the rights to NHL games and only show them on their cable affiliates. If that is what they wanted, they would simply keep up the current arrangement. If they are serious about making a bid for the rights to show NHL games on network TV, then they damn sure are going to put in on their network. It makes no sense to buy the network TV rights just to prevent CBC from showing games.

HNIC is Saturday nights. It's not like they put on real shows on Saturday nights, it's when CTV airs Lost repeats and bad TV movies. If they can acquire guys like MacLean, Grapes and Hrudey then I've got no problem with it. While I'd prefer it stay on CBC, it wouldn't matter much if it moved to CTV. I hate that station though.

And it's certainly not the death of canadian culture, you don't need to be overdramatic.

Fanpuck I'm not joking when I said CTV would put it on TSN. They have said before that the games would take up 'valuable prime time tv time'.

And Canadian culture yes, because last time I checked CBC has done more for Canada then the private networks combined.

I think they should tighten the Can Con content to 50% of prime time tv each night has to be Canadian. That would also create more channels which would break up this two giant media monopoly Bell Global and Canwest have on everybody. Thats one thing I admire about the Bloc, you know where they stand on protecting Quebec's fragile culture. Unlike English Canada which has basically become an american clone.

Thats the view I get from watching Canadian TV. And yes I can get Canadian TV its not that hard really.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention Bell Global Media owns part of dreaded Maple Leafs so we all can guess what that means.

Edited by Pierre the Great

If HNIC moving from CBC to CTV will kill Canadian culture, then I guess Monday Night Football moving from ABC to ESPN will be the death of American culture. ROTFL

As I pointed out very clearly, CTV would never pay such an amount of money to put all the games on cable. Buying the rights to show the NHL on network TV is the most expensive part of the deal. They would end up losing millions of dollars if they didn't show games on CTV, as network ads bring in more money than cable ads, which is how they make money. HNIC will bring in better ratings than anything else they could put on TV on Saturday night, which is a night when all networks stray from trying to air regular shows. As jets said, HNIC is going to make them a lot more money than a movie of the week or reruns. You are naive if you think CTV won't air whatever will make them the most money, which in Canada is cleary HNIC.

I just wish they'd strengthen the signal at CIVT-TV (CTV Vancouver) and that the local cable company can put the channel on there cable service like they do with CBUT (CBC British Columbia) in the Seattle area when I get there next year. CIVT has a notoriously weak signal so bad you can't get it once you leave the lower mainland (vancouver metro area).

Fanpuck I'm not joking when I said CTV would put it on TSN. They have said before that the games would take up 'valuable prime time tv time'.

And Canadian culture yes, because last time I checked CBC has done more for Canada then the private networks combined.

I think they should tighten the Can Con content to 50% of prime time tv each night has to be Canadian. That would also create more channels which would break up this two giant media monopoly Bell Global and Canwest have on everybody. Thats one thing I admire about the Bloc, you know where they stand on protecting Quebec's fragile culture. Unlike English Canada which has basically become an american clone.

Thats the view I get from watching Canadian TV. And yes I can get Canadian TV its not that hard really.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention Bell Global Media owns part of dreaded Maple Leafs so we all can guess what that means.

The article says that CTV would carry the Saturday double-headers, and TSN would carry a 'full schedule' of NHL games. Hey, maybe TSN would even show a Saturday Montreal game while the inevitable Toronto game is on CTV. That would be fine with me.

CBC has done a lot of Canadian culture... but you fail to explain how hockey moving from the CBC to CTV would hurt Canadian culture. One could argue that it would free up more time for cultural programming, at least on Saturdays and during the playoffs. Yes, hockey makes money for the CBC, but $30mil isn't that much for the government to cover - if they decide to do so - compared to the CBC's total budget of almost $1 billion.

I do agree that Bell Global Media owning part of the Maple Leafs is somewhat of a concern. However, how much more preference can they show than the CBC, who were showing the Leafs nationally whenever they could anyway? In Ontario, all except a handful of Leafs games can be seen on either CBC, TSN, or CTV now (the handful that are not are available on "LeafsTV"). :puke:

I, for one, would like to see hockey move away from the CBC. I can't see how NHL hockey fits into their mandate to Canadian culture (if that's what they're trying to do). At least if it's a private company, I can't complain that it's my tax dollars supporting what is (mostly) a Leafs network.

Oh, and if Don Cherry found himself out of a job as a result, that would just be a bonus. Wishful thinking, I know, but I can dream, can't I?

This means the death of canadian culture

Yeah, because moving hockey from SRC to RDS sure has killed quebecer culture....

...wait a minute :P

I just got a huge chuckle when I looked at RDS profile on wikipedia and it said it used to broadcast mini putt putt tournaments. Defi mini-putt.

LOL!

That's already more of a sport then poker :P At least mini putt players are standing up.

I remenber watching it as a kid when I was very bored

It's funnier than baseball, but coming from me thats not saying a lot :P

I welcome this move. As much as CBC has been an icon in hockey; they have really gone downhill the last few years by keeping commentators like Bob Cole, firing guys like Cuthbert and not showing anything but Toronto on their 7 p.m broadcast. This is a great way of meeting more of the demands of fans outside of Toronto...hopefully.

I am pretty sure they would show games on both CTV and TSN. Hockey is a huge draw in this country and money can be made. I wonder why CBC only showed games on Saturday nights and not other days during the week?

Honestly I could care less................UNLESS CTV shows more of a variety of games (IE. LESS LEAF GAMES)

That's why I added RDS to my Bell lineup....I get all the games I need to see :hlogo:

Honestly I could care less................UNLESS CTV shows more of a variety of games (IE. LESS LEAF GAMES)

That's why I added RDS to my Bell lineup....I get all the games I need to see :hlogo:

Don't hold your breath... where are CTV's head offices located?

At best, they may show local games in the different affected regions... but the problem there is the requested blackouts by the teams so as to ensure a better shot at sell-outs. The possible answer to that would be to air the 'away games' to the affected regions (ie: Calgary at Anaheim being televised but not Anaheim at Calgary).

We'll see.

This may end up all being moot anyway. The NHL may decide to maintain the CBC relationship for publicity purposes or something like that.

If they bought the network rights, they would have to show them on the main network. Cable rights are a separate deal.

And for those who may not be aware, CBC doesn't own the the network rights to NHL games, and hasn't for the past decade or more. Labatt's owns them, and before Labatt's won the rights, Molson owned them, through their Molstar Communications subsidiary. Labatt's just uses CBC as their broadcast partner. If they wanted to, they could bid for them again, and go to CTV or even Global if the new contract is awarded to them.

Edited by RobRock

Don't hold your breath... where are CTV's head offices located?

At best, they may show local games in the different affected regions... but the problem there is the requested blackouts by the teams so as to ensure a better shot at sell-outs. The possible answer to that would be to air the 'away games' to the affected regions (ie: Calgary at Anaheim being televised but not Anaheim at Calgary).

We'll see.

This may end up all being moot anyway. The NHL may decide to maintain the CBC relationship for publicity purposes or something like that.

You know, now that you mention it, I miss the days when Channel 7 (Global now but used to be something else. I forget though) showed pretty much every single Flames game. Hockey on almost every night was awesome.

mm so in areas without a team CBC always show the Leaf games?

Here in the Ottawa area at least they show Sens games before anything else.

mm so in areas without a team CBC always show the Leaf games?

Here in the Ottawa area at least they show Sens games before anything else.

lets use vancouver as an example (cuz i live here) the 4PM game (7EST) is 99% of the time a leafs game, unless there isnt a leafs game to show.. I want to watch the habs... I rarely see them, unless they play toronto, or toronto isnt playing... that is simply annoying to me, as it results in me needing to watch the game on SRC(in french.. obviously), which frustrates me because my french isnt very good

From someone who lives on the East Coast, there's a reason why we call it HNIT. They won't even show a Senators game on Saturday without the Leafs involved. If the Habs/Sens were playing for the division and the Leafs were playing an atom team from Pluto, they'd show the Leafs game because they think everyone east of Quebec is a Leafs fan.

From someone who lives on the East Coast, there's a reason why we call it HNIT. They won't even show a Senators game on Saturday without the Leafs involved. If the Habs/Sens were playing for the division and the Leafs were playing an atom team from Pluto, they'd show the Leafs game because they think everyone east of Quebec is a Leafs fan.

at least there's the other game...the good one