Gainey Looking For A Dman?

jordy11

According to an NHL.com article, the newly retired Eric Desjardins had a contract offer from Bob Gainey. He chose to retire, citing it was important for him to retire as a Flyer. Knowing that Bouillon is going to miss at least the month of November, does that mean that Mark Streit's knee injury is more serious than expected? Who would you sign as a 7th defenseman if you were BG?

Desjardins finishes as a Flyer

In a way I can't really blame him to NOT want to come back here.

The way the regime in power throu him out was most hidious and unprofesional, most unlike the classy organization that we all root for here at HW.

For that reason I really can't blame him,

and what if once he was here he would have had to play second fidle behind Streit or worse a (upcoming) rookie???

wouldn't that just drive the arrow into his soul?

Let us not forget that the Habs (albeit of then) have already broken his heart once, eh! :(

that just woudn't be cool.

Edited by ehjay

It would not have been to replace Bouillion duringhis injury as Desjardins said that if he were to play this season he would need to undergo an (hip?) operation first. He wouldn't be ready until November either.

My guess is that Côté will be coming up for a long temporary posting.

Some others of the Bulldog defensemen (Sandford, Archer, O'Byrne) will come up and do a few shifts on an occasional basis.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

I too am guessing Côté will be given a long hard look. He's really the only D who plays the left-side and seems ready for NHL duties. He's also getting a little up there in age for a prospect, so its time for him to move up.

What is so humiliating about getting traded for Mark Recchi?

Isn't the rumor that Desjardins was the equivalent of a dozen hockey sticks extra to be given' away in that deal???

Leclair for Recchi

Dionne for 3rd round pick

and Desjardins for a futur kick in the ass to the fans???

Edited by ehjay

My guess is that Côté will be coming up for a long temporary posting.

Some others of the Bulldog defensemen (Sandford, Archer, O'Byrne) will come up and do a few shifts on an occasional basis.

If someone of Sanford or Archer gets a call with the HABS, we surely have some big problems on defence ...

As for Côté - if Streit is ready for the season opener, I'm sure that he'll get lots of chances to play. I think that Streit would be the better solution over Côté but let's wait for training camp and how they battle it out.

Isn't the rumor that Desjardins was the equivalent of a dozen hockey sticks extra to be given' away in that deal???

Leclair for Recchi

desjardins was the candy in the trade. savard offered brisebois to philly but clarke said: no desjardins, no trade

This team doesn't stand and fall with Franky Boullion out till november.

This is a great oppertunity for guys like Cote to get som experience.

Among the defencemen that's left out there I'd say that David Tanabe, Dick Tärnström and Matt Biron are the ones that are interesting.

As for Côté - if Streit is ready for the season opener, I'm sure that he'll get lots of chances to play. I think that Streit would be the better solution over Côté but let's wait for training camp and how they battle it out.

The question is: can Streit play on the left side? I wouldn't want to relive a Robidas nightmare: screw up a defenseman by playing him on his off-side.

I think Jancevski is also a left-side guy. Might give Côté some competition for that Bouillon spot. 25 yrs old and played two games with Dallas last season. 6-3, 212 lbs. Could be an option.

Edited by KoZed

The question is: can Streit play on the left side? I wouldn't want to relive a Robidas nightmare: screw up a defenseman by playing him on his off-side.

I think Jancevski is also a left-side guy. Might give Côté some competition for that Bouillon spot. 25 yrs old and played two games with Dallas last season. 6-3, 212 lbs. Could be an option.

Yes, you're right... he was one of the better defensemen with the Bulldogs when the Canadiens shared with the Stars.

Leclair for Recchi

Will we ever let this trade die in our minds?

It was a horrible trade but I blame alot of this on LeClair too, not just Serge. If you recall, LeClair was stinking up the joint. He couldn't score. He was almost useless. He lost interest in playing high level for Montreal anymore, thus his value PLUMMETED! That's becasue he told Serge he wanted to play in the USA and when that happened his lousy play followed. Serge knew he needed to get a Recchi back and unfortunately... :angry:

But, isolating Serge on this trade alone isn't fair. For all of his shortcomings I for one would have preferred he remain with the club. Or, if you're going to fire him Ronald Corey, don't bring in Howdy Doody as a replacement. :angry:

It took about 2 weeks until Houle made me wish Serge was back. I'm not one to indict Serge on one bad move.

What happened weakened the team but it wasn't the end of the world...until Houle managed to manufacture Odelein for Richer trades :wacko:

I don't personally blame Houle even. It was Ronald Corey's fault.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

is streit completely healed from his tendenitis ??

It seems so:

Pat Hickey - The Gazette

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Streit was having knee problems of his own when the season ended, but a Canadiens' spokesman said the Swiss defenceman has recovered from tendinitis.

It seems so:

I read the opposite in lapresse but they were quite wrong about koivu. I'LL take pat hickey word anytime

It was a horrible trade but I blame alot of this on LeClair too, not just Serge. If you recall, LeClair was stinking up the joint. He couldn't score. He was almost useless. He lost interest in playing high level for Montreal anymore, thus his value PLUMMETED!

It was Ronald Corey's fault.

What I remember of Leclair before that trade is that he was kicking a$$ in the '93 playoffs.

but then again my memory is great other then the fact it DON'T LAST that long (too much acid) :P

I STILL DO REMEMBER IT ALL BEING COREY'S FAULT THOUGH!!! :angry:

Whoever's 'fault' it was... it's water under the bridge now.

I STILL DO REMEMBER IT ALL BEING COREY'S FAULT THOUGH!!! :angry:

corey as traded chelios carbonneau and maybe many more that we don't know about

What I remember of Leclair before that trade is that he was kicking a$$ in the '93 playoffs.

In Montreal, LeClaire was always a case of untapped potential. He never scored 20 goals in Montreal and only had 10 points (4 goals and 6 assists) in the playoffs in '93. He was instantly a different player in Philly, putting up 25 goals (his first 20 goal season) in just 37 games.

In Montreal, LeClaire was always a case of untapped potential. He never scored 20 goals in Montreal and only had 10 points (4 goals and 6 assists) in the playoffs in '93. He was instantly a different player in Philly, putting up 25 goals (his first 20 goal season) in just 37 games.

Might that have been a case of putting him on a same line as Eric Lindros & Mikae Renberg? Three pretty big boys - big bashers & net crashers.

Has this thread been changed to the "who is to blame game..."

My opinion around this post is that the habs will look at training camp, then make a decision on moving a D-man from our prospects upto the big club and may be rotate a couple of them until our regulars are back and at least 98% upto speed.

However, look for a few more AHL two way contract D-men signings or a nominal free agent signing, if things don't go well @ camp.

Finally, if this is a blame game thread. Then I would like to SLAM good ol' Mario the "trouble" Trembley (sp) for making Roy "our goalie from heaven" leave our home ice, for Colorado. Lets see what did we get in return.. oh ya thats right crap crap and crap!

ok I feel better now. Thank you I really needed to get that off my mind.