Trivia Question

C-Love

Just because I'm getting a little anxious for the season to begin, I thought I would throw a trivia question out there, just to give us something to talk about. And if you're going to take a guess, please just do that, and don't go and look it up somewhere, it takes the fun out of it. Here goes.

Who has the most shutouts in one season for the Habs and how many was it?

george hainsworth had 22 at one point if I remeber well.

That's exactly right, and to the best of my knowledge that is the most. However I could be wrong, but I think that is tops.

Who had the most points in a regular season for a Defenseman?

larry robinson?

Yep, with 85 I think. These questions are way too easy I guess.

How about an opinion question?

What was the worst/best trade in Montreal history?

Worst: Roy. To me that was disgusting.

Best: Russ Courtnall for John Kordic. That trade always has stuck out for me to be one of the most lopsided trades in history. I'm sure we have made bigger and more substantial trades but for bang for the buck, I can't remember a more lopsided move.

larry robinson?

Right. That's who it is.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Yep, with 85 I think. These questions are way too easy I guess.

How about an opinion question?

What was the worst/best trade in Montreal history?

best ever:

TO: CAL (the seals that is) Ernie Hicke and 1970 No. 1 (Chris Oddleifson).

TO: MTL Francois Lacombe, cash and 1979 CAL 1st pick. (May 22, 1970)

montreal a picked a future disco stud:GUY LAFLEUR

I don't know if these are the worst but they rank up there.

Montreal Canadiens traded Chris Chelios and 2nd round selection (Michael Pomichter) in 1991 to the Chicago Blackhawks for Denis Savard. Yes, Savard was part of the 1993 Stanley Cup win but, on the other hand, Chelios could very well have had as much, if not more impact than Savard. Chelios remained a rock steady near-franchise level defenseman for more than a decade after that.

Eric Desjardins, Gilbert Dionne and John LeClair to the Philadelphia Flyers for Mark Recchi and 3rd round selection (Martin Hohenberger) in 1995. I know that, before the trade, LeClair was struggling in Montreal and Recchi was a better player but the way LeClair broke out, it still makes me sad to think about it.

Montreal Canadiens traded Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to the Colorado Avalanche for Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinsky and Jocelyn Thibault. The only thing that makes this a palatable trade is that Roy was fed up with the administrative foolishness, the fan fickleness & the press's constant pressure associated with the team. Thibault was a legitimate successor to Roy (though it didn't work out), Rucinski was a definite talent as was Kovalenko. Giving away Keane was another instance of selling out another piece of the heart of the team. It saddened me a lot more than the departure of Roy. Roy's departure was a shock but not that surprising... Keane's departure was a nail in the coffin for the team - like the letting go of Chelios.

Same idea with the Chelios & Keane trades... sheeeeeeshhhhhhh.............. :blink::wacko: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Roy trade is the worst by a country mile. We traded the goalie that had won us two Cups, PLUS our only decent face-off artist and a Cup-winning heart and soul guy, for...NOTHING.

However, the Turgeon-Conroy-Fitpatrick deal for Corson and Murray Baron was also a huge stinker. Granted, Corson had a couple of very effective (if injury prone) seasons for us. However:

-we traded Turgeon, a 100-point man, because that idiot Mario Tremblay insisted on playing him on the third line, on the grounds that Koivu and Damphousse were better C. But Damphousse was a NATURAL WINGER!! So Turgeon could have been returned to his natural position as an offensive centreman without any problem. The trade was completely unnecessary - a response to a problem singlehandedly created by our drooling imbecile of a coach.

-the trade then exposed Koivu, an unproven but spectacular young player, as our #1 centre, THE key to our offense (Vinny was more of a two-way guy at that point). Koivu almost immediately revealed his injury-prone nature, suffering the massive ACL tear that effectively ruined him as a superstar talent.

-we threw away Conroy. Another of Houle's patented 'throw-ins.' This on a club that needed checking C. Jesus.

Thanks, Reggie.

Unlike these deals, the Recchi trade made sense at the time, with the information available to the GM. I think you can certainly say that a trade did or didn't work out, but you can't expect GMs to be soothsayers; all I ask is that their moves be reasonable and well thought-out.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

LoL. On the Turgeon deal. Saint Louis was stoked to get Turgeon. But they'd thought he'd be like adam oats was to Hull. That didn't turn out and the fans turned on him. Everyone liked Conroy though. That trade made me wonder what was Montreal thinking. Trading good players for washed up 2nd and 3rd liners? Made me shake my head.

One of the best for the habs

Trevor Linden, Dainius Zubrus and a 2nd round selection (Andreas Holmqvist) in 2001 to the Washington Capitals for Richard Zednik, Jan Bulis and a 1st round selection (Alexander Perezhogin) in 2001.

Not very often that all the players in a deal work out as well as these guys did. It will be nice to see if Perezhogin can break out this year.

Worst trade ever ...

Sylvain Turgeon for Claude Lemieux

Nothing against Turgeon or post-op transexuals .... but that trade was like the Habs voluntarily castrating themselves.

Best trade ever ... Russ Courtnall for John Kordic

- tmd

damphousse for gilchrist and corson was great

muller for richer was even better

Muller for Richer! Holy crap, I forgot about that one - the trade that won us a Cup by dealing a floating piece of dog-poop for a blood-and-guts 40-goal scorer and all-around leader, the man who, after Roy, was most responsible for the 1993 Cup.

Richer brings to mind another nightmare of a deal: Lyle Odelein for Richer. OK...on a team with feeble D, we deal away our leader on the blueline, our only tough D-man, and our best checking defenceman and in return we get...said piece of floating dog-poop. AAAARRRRRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I remember a quote from one of the players at the time, on being told of the deal: 'who else did we get?' 'Nuff said).