Habs @ Pens : 1:00

jl.roberts

1-0 Habs on a power-play goal by Ryder assisted by Souray and Ribeiro... Was a sweet goal , first of all Theodore quickly up'ed a pass to Koivu at the red line , Koivu skated into Pens zone , back passed to Souray , Souray did a great job of keeping the puck in the zone , then fed Ribeiro a bullet pass in the right circle , Ribeiro then one-timed a pass to Ryder in the left circle , Ryder shot it into the empty net , which was empty since Caron was too dizzy to know where the play was.

Pens controlled the play much of the 1st half of the period , had a pretty good PP during that time (habs need to adjust their PK versus the pens) , ... Habs controlled the 2nd half of the period , got our legs going looks like.

1st over.

Score : 1-0 Habs

Shots : 12-7 Habs

4-0 Habs after 2....

All 4 goals were scored on the power-play. Souray and Ryder each have 3 points , Ribeiro with 2...

Special-teams kick ass tonight (PK playing great after that first shakey kill-off)

Typical. Cleaned my harddrive yesterday and I can't find the CD-rom with the drivers for my soundcard - can't listen to the game - totally missed that this was an afternoon game also, so it doesn't really matter i guess - the second period just ended.

WOW!!!

4-0 HABS! 4 points but Sheldon Souray according to ESPN Scoreboard/Box score.

Awesome...I would have loved to see this game. Also three points by Michael Ryder. This guy is hot! The Canadiens PP is hot!

But why stop now? I wouldn't mind if somebody popped another two or three goals in the back of Caron.

Go Habs!

[Edited on 2004/1/10 by DJ_Laszlo]

YEAH! They added an assist to Souray on the 4th goal ... I thought they should of , but only mentioned 3 points for him because he was credited with 3....

4... Amazing! Souray rocks!

#3 in NHL d-man scoring , 1 behind Blake for #2

:ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg:

SHELDON SOURAY FOR PRESIDENT!

MICHAEL RYDER FOR VICE PRESIDENT!

This is just...wow...words don't come easy...this was their first non power play goal...to you who are watching or listening to the game - is it just the powerplay that is clicking today, or are the canadiens playing well over all?

Because this only happens once every so often...a couple of weeks ago the Canadiens scored 5 pp goals, can't remember against which team though.

[Edited on 2004/1/10 by DJ_Laszlo]

Habs win 8-0....

Souray finishes with 6 points... the insane thing about that is that he could of gotten 8... He was the 3rd assist on the 7th goal , and kicked the puck ahead to start the 8th...

UNREAL!

SOURAY IS SUPERMAN!

Originally posted by simonus

who liked how ABC wouldn't show highlights off the habs game... I guess they didnt want the RDS logo....

Oh to be a habs fan trapped in the U.S.

I was waiting for the Habs highlights too, on ABC. After hearing them blab about Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, Boston, NYR, NYI (hmm, all US based teams) they finally show the score and they barely even said anything about Souray except that he "had a good game".

LOVELY!!!

when did WE last destroy another team like this?

Im so happy now even if it was the pens I LOVE SHELDON SOURAY...

Norris: Souray

Calder: Ryder

(this is my hopes and my dreams)

Do not kid yourselves habs fans, despite the score, that was almost as ugly a game the Habs have played all year. The first period was a dullard affair with virtually zero passion shown in the game. The turning point came when the Habs killed the two man advantage and from then on it was a mildly disinterested habs team playing an ECHL club (Pittsburgh faded into oblivion after that PK - there was no (team) effort and Caron was left out to dry completely).

I'm sure there will be a plethora of fans saying we have to take victories like this as they come and be happy we get to see them now and again, but in my mind, it was yet another worrysome three periods, making that eight in a row. It wasn't like the Habs were playing well, in fact passes were consistently in feet, receptions were poor, and play was meek-spirited and filled with errors. The problem is, particularly after that PK, the Pens gave up leaving the Habs to play shinney.

~~

Notes:

Theo: He had to make one or two good saves, his rebound control looked a little better than it did last game and he did end up with a shutout. Still, when the average shot if from a half mile and right at the crest on your shirt, it's not exactly bragging material. B+

Bouillon: Fairly typical game from him and I'm not at all disappointed in his game. B

Rivet: For all the good he's done in the last two or three, this was a giant step backwards. He did practically nothing right, making lousy passes, poor choices on and off the puck, and getting beaten by the ECHLers. A very disconcerting effort. D+

Brisebois: Better than last game when he was making old-time Breezer danger passes, but still not where he was a couple of weeks ago. I found him lazy and non-committal in the defensive zone. B-

Komisarek: He's got to watch the concentration lapses, because about five times per game he whiffs on a pass and causes heart problems. Tonight it wasn't so bad because the Pens had no one who could do anything about it, but it's still a concern. Decent game otherwise. C+

Quintal: Steady, I thought. While he did make an error or two each period, they were minor and I was pleased with his overall game. Of course, his opponents were not exactly challenging. B+

Souray: Tough, tough, tough call. He sure re-wrote the record books and that's great to see, but honestly, think back after the first period and after having seen all the errors he made. How many out there were a little concerned with his game at that point? He gets the A, purely because he shone with the puck. A

Langdon: The goal in games like that must be: feed Langdon. I think he should have been put on the first line and been given every chance. When you have a player who plugs for you every night, it's nice for a little payback here and there. B+

Perreault: On a night where his game should have shone, he was all but invisible. All that space, minor league opponents, and a poor game. Not good. D+

Ward: He had a good hustle game certainly, but once again I have to call out those who think he's got NHL-quality offensive skills. Nice whiffle on the break. *cough* Of course, it could be that he couldn't get a clean break despite his all-star speed. B-

Dackell: Particularly weak game for him. A lack of intensity that I'm not used to seeing has me quite disappointed. C+

Juneau: Looked good and is a good leader. That's how you play every night no matter who you're playing. Same intensity as in every other game, and tonight he was rewarded again. Kudos to one of the few who really put in a full nights work. B+

Kilger: Three in a row where he's looked good. When half the team took the night off, he was still trying to make his point. Not perfectly done, but certainly another step in the right direction. B

Dagenais: Um, isn't this the kind of game where you're supposed to shine? Talk about someone taking the night off and floating because he thinks it's an easy one. That's how you pick up bad habits. I'm not impressed in the least. D+

Zednik: He does have more jump lately and really is varying his game plan in the offensive third. B+

Ribeiro: *sigh* I can't wait to get lambasted again. he gets, what, four points? But I thought he was mostly poor out there. Sure, the PP was good for him, but on his own line, he was doing all those silly dangle things when he didn't need to. Why try and impress the world when you can do the easy play and be a team guy. And why not work hard tonight? Don't want to run up the score to 15? Then play puck control. For the points... B

Bulis: The first period was one of his worst this year. No energy, no hustle, no desire. He finally woke up later on and started playing fairly well, though he wasn't as good in the defensive end as usual. Against this Pens team when they quit like they did tonight, your man shouldn't ever be getting away. B-

Ryder: Julien really hammered it home when he benched him that one time. Other than the last game, he's been Mr. Consistency on the Habs. He continued tonight dishing out hits, playing hard at both ends and fortunately racking up some points. Habs fans shouldn't be just happy, they should be proud of this guy. A-

Koivu: He was a little lax at first, but picked up his game as the contest went along. Deserved more points than he got with some scintillating play on the PP and at even strength, but wasn't rewarded tonight. That's how it goes. On the PK, 3v5, he was again brilliant. This new defensive dimension is great. B+

~~

Games like this require puck control and intensity. The Pens quit and we scored eight with only a half effort. Remember our best games of the year? Imagine the score then. I have to wonder when Caron's lawsuit will be served. I mean, the complete lack of support out there was embarassing.

St. Louis comes to town Tuesday and if we give this effort, I would expect about the same scoreline...the other way. Perhaps it's the mid-season blahs, but the Habs really have to turn it around as the sked is going to get a lot tougher soon.

A Concerned (and ready for a shellacking) Fan

Originally posted by DJ_Laszlo

Looks like the DID pull Caron! :)

eyecrazy.gifeyecrazy.gifcrazysmily.gifcrazysmily.gifWow1.gifWow1.gif

8-0!!

When did this last happen??

The last time that we scored 8 goals in a game was just over 6 years ago, on January 8th vs the New York Islanders. I don't know the final score, but I think it's safe to assume that we won the game.

As for Guy!'s report, once again, good as always, and guess what? I'm not going to give you a shellacking, you don't deserve one, the fact is, we were BAD in the first, got the lead, and watched as Pittsburgh threw in the towel, so we got to make lots of fancy plays and score pretty goals, yadda yadda yadda. The only thing really going for us tonight was the powerplay, which went 4/6. Yes it's Pittsburgh, but the PP has been on as of late anyways. I'm happy for Souray that he got the points, however like last game, he was beaten to the puck in the neutral zone, and almost cost us a breakaway to Meloche I think it was. He had a rough game defensively. As for Ribs and Dagenais, I agree, both need to do more of the little things a little more often to impress me. The set offensive play: Ribeiro tries to skate through everybody while Dagenais heads for the net. Ribeiro shoots, Dags gets the rebound and puts it in, Zednik stands there thinking "What about me?" OK, I exaggerated a bit, but the fact remains that they are lacklustre defensively, and need to improve in that respect soon.

My final take? Glad to get the win and pad the stats, hopefully all of these goals will get some people going and give us some momentum heading into the game vs St. Louis, we're going to need it.

I picked a helluva game to travel 400+km to go see!

Mario Lemieux bobbleheads and a Habs blowout victory, can't ask for much else even if you two somehow see this is a step backwards.

I know the Pens stink, but this team beat the devils this week and hung with the Bruins, maybe give the Habs a little bit of credit for an 8-0 victory?