Head shots in the NHL

huzer

I noticed this being brought up in the Officiating Thread in the Habs Talk forum. Has any read Bobby Orr's comments on TSN? I agree. It does seem that the "devastating" hits that guys are looking for now aren't the open ice hip checks, but the head down/shoulder to the head type hits. In short, a lot of guys are head hunting. I agree with what Orr says, anything above the neck should constitute an illegal hit. The McKenzie article on TSN, IMO, is really good. Worth a read if you haven't read it already.

Like I'm not sure who said:

"You're not allowed to hit him high, you're not allowed to low - you can't hit anyone anymore unless you get him in the bellybutton."

The NHL is trying to increase attendance and the amount of fans following the sport. But most of these fans like to see the big hits. Plus, it's part of hockey. A huge part of hockey.

There's a difference between a big hit and headhunting. Often, you can differentiate between the two. If not, you can always yell at the ref - it's his fault all the time, anyway, right?

Like I'm not sure who said:

"You're not allowed to hit him high, you're not allowed to low - you can't hit anyone anymore unless you get him in the bellybutton."

It's the same in football, many more violent collisions. Yet in that sport, you can not hit another players head, nor or you allowed to hit them low. I haven't seen that cut down on any hits. Seriously, I don't think you should be able to plant your shoulder into somebody's face. Yeah it makes for great TV, but these are real people's heads they're cracking. There's nothing fun about being in an arena when a player is taken off on a stretcher. Like Orr said, if you accidentally hit someone with your stick, it's an automatic penalty (save the Justin Williams comments), yet it's legal to drive your shoulder pad into their face at a much higher rate of speed. I don't agree that hits to the head are a "big part of hockey". They better not be, that's just disgusting. There's a difference between a big hit and trying to decapitate someone. I don't care what a player says, they know what they're doing. They're pros.

The shot to the face has replaced the knee on knee stuff from Marchment and Kasparaitus.

so what if a player is 6'4" and another he is hitting is 5'10". Does the bigger man not him because his head is around the shoulders? That's ridiculous, hitting is part of the game. Do you notice the people whinning about it is the media and ex players. Not current players. The answer is simple, decrease the size of shoulder pads, then if you want to throw a big hit your shoulder may be the body part getting injured. I also think splitting the difference between the current sheet of ice and the Olympic sheet will help. Why? because the players are bigger and faster then they ever have been and playing in the same size space. There is more opportunities for big hits.

I agree with Orr.. The players are "hitting up" which is not a safe way to hit anyone. If they didn't come up all the time, they would not be hitting the guys head.

They also pointed out that there has been no reduction in hitting in the jrs with the new rules, just reductions in head shots.

A good body check is very easy to do.. you crouch down and drive your shoulder right into his chest. Unfortunately, if you want all these hits, the guys are coming up into the hit, like an upper cut. It is legal, but a totally cheap shot.

I also liked the point that we penalize high sticks, even if they are accidental. So it is not going to kill checking if the occasional guy does a head shot by accident.

Right now, those are not accidental hits, they are the result of a careless method of checking.

Agree with him or not, I believe Don Cherry has a good point.

He blames the use of the 'hard' shoulder and elbow gear for the hurt that's taking place. He's pushing for the league to have the players wear the 'soft' elbow and shoulder protection that was worn even at the time of the 80's Oilers.

I don't know what would mean for shoulder and elbow injuries but to be hit by those hard pads can certainly lead to serious injuries to those on the receiving end.

GO :hlogo: GO!

It wouldn't hurt if the players started showing each other a little more respect though. Personally I don't believe in that "keep you head up" talk - so a guy takes a few strides with his head down, and he deserves to risk getting checked to the head, something that could not only put his career and livelihood on the line, but his health as well? I don't buy that for one second.

It's the same in football, many more violent collisions. Yet in that sport, you can not hit another players head, nor or you allowed to hit them low. I haven't seen that cut down on any hits. Seriously, I don't think you should be able to plant your shoulder into somebody's face. Yeah it makes for great TV, but these are real people's heads they're cracking. There's nothing fun about being in an arena when a player is taken off on a stretcher. Like Orr said, if you accidentally hit someone with your stick, it's an automatic penalty (save the Justin Williams comments), yet it's legal to drive your shoulder pad into their face at a much higher rate of speed. I don't agree that hits to the head are a "big part of hockey". They better not be, that's just disgusting. There's a difference between a big hit and trying to decapitate someone. I don't care what a player says, they know what they're doing. They're pros.

The shot to the face has replaced the knee on knee stuff from Marchment and Kasparaitus.

I think hitting in general is a big part of hockey, not hits to the head. But if you take out hits to the head, everyone becomes more careful and it does, in consequence, tone down on the physical element of the game.

I hate the OHL rule of no hits to the head , even if the head is down. Players need to learn to keep their heads up. That's what separates guys like Joe Sakic from Eric Lindros.

Also, how is a guy that 6 foot 6 supposed to hit a guy thats 5 foot 8 (Brian Gionta)