Bonk

Canajun

(I had this buried in the game thread from last night so I thought I'd lift it out and give it it's own thread and open it up for discussion if anyone cares to...)

I think it's time for Bonk to have a shot at centering the 2nd line. This is *NOT* the same Bonk we saw last year. He's showing great generalship on the ice, nice stickhandling, hanging onto the puck well, and excellent work in the opposing zone down low. See him tonight when he had the puck behind the Florida net and about 3 Panthers couldn't get it away from him?

I know I know - we don't want to break up that very good 3rd line... but I think Plekanec could hold down the fort on the 3rd nicely.

You never know guys - this could be the big, strong 2nd line playmaking centre we've been looking for all this time... right under our noses.

It's tough to predict if Bonk would do as well on an offensive line. He's doing a great job with the 3rd line. For everyone on that line to hold very high plus/minus ratings, particularly when they are always assigned to check the opponent's top line especially at home. There's something to be said for chemistry, and it's very hard to break up a line when they have good chemistry.

I'll predict that the Habs will try and take on a veteran centre as the trade deadline approaches. Personally, I'd like to see Joe Nieuwendyk join the Habs, as I believe he'll fit the role of a #2 centre on the Habs very well. He's good on faceoffs, has some offensive skill left, and can play a 2-way game well.

It's tough to predict if Bonk would do as well on an offensive line. He's doing a great job with the 3rd line. For everyone on that line to hold very high plus/minus ratings, particularly when they are always assigned to check the opponent's top line especially at home. There's something to be said for chemistry, and it's very hard to break up a line when they have good chemistry.

I'll predict that the Habs will try and take on a veteran centre as the trade deadline approaches. Personally, I'd like to see Joe Nieuwendyk join the Habs, as I believe he'll fit the role of a #2 centre on the Habs very well. He's good on faceoffs, has some offensive skill left, and can play a 2-way game well.

I like Nieuwendyk as much as the next guy, but he's got injury problems all the time. Part of being old. very old.

See the permanent rumour thread. Nieuwendyk has entered the fray of Habs rumours

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Nieuwendyk would be a great short fix. Yes he get's injured, but we have the youth to cover that. If Kostitsyn gets a few more games in this year on the second line, so be it.

I'm just wondering what would be sent in return...

Nieuwendyk would be a great short fix. Yes he get's injured, but we have the youth to cover that. If Kostitsyn gets a few more games in this year on the second line, so be it.

I'm just wondering what would be sent in return...

a bottom tier prospect à la milroy or ferland or maybe a late draft pick.

Talking about Bonk, I was thinking earlier today about that Garon trade. We were pretty much disapointed to give up a future superstar goaltender for an old useless 4th liner and an old goalie with little NHL experience.

Oh my is it the best trade ever??!! HUET and BONK!! wow. I don't miss Garon at all! Bonk is a central part of our team this year, and Huet has been the best goalie in the league since January!

a bottom tier prospect à la milroy or ferland or maybe a late draft pick.

If the Habs sent anything for Nieuwy, it better only be a late rounder. I wouldn't send anyone that's actually skating within the system. Ok, maybe Murray. Hehe.

Talking about Bonk, I was thinking earlier today about that Garon trade. We were pretty much disapointed to give up a future superstar goaltender for an old useless 4th liner and an old goalie with little NHL experience.

Oh my is it the best trade ever??!! HUET and BONK!! wow. I don't miss Garon at all! Bonk is a central part of our team this year, and Huet has been the best goalie in the league since January!

This board, as a whole - and there are many individuals exceptions - massively over-values most prospects. Kostityn (who I like) was supposed to set our offense aflame...oh, well. Everyone was cowabunga over Garon because he looked good playing as a backup against crappy teams. People also howled laments over the loss of that budding superstar Marcel Hossa and that offensive powerhouse Balej (who merely netted us Kovalev). I said at the time that the Bonk trade was great, especially on a team without decent centremen. Unfortunately his groin proved me wrong last year, but hey :rolleyes:

Yeah thought of that....I mean he was ranked top draft pick back then... a few skeptics preffered Jovo instead ( they were right!) ... Today Bonk is adapting to new settings and a key role... I dont know how well he would take with such a higher responsability (centering the Rusky duo) is there a backlash if we try that experiment... if it fails would it breakdown his confidence when put back even on the third line?

As a scientist I have to say....Its worth a try!!!

Sorry, but I am still not sold on this guy's (Bonk's) heart.........He seems like he has the talent, but only chooses to use it when it will be benefitting him (not necessarily the team)........I have to admit that he's done well this year, but this a contract-negotiation year (remember Brisebois?)...I also remember when he got drafted by the Sens, he opted to play in Las Vegas until he got what he wanted money-wise........just not convinced yet.