HABS vs AVS (Next big test: Gamethread)

Fletch96

Here is another test, beating the Leafs is not that big of a deal cause Pittsburg beat them.:lol:

So lets see how the boys stack up against the Avs....

:hlogo::clap::hlogo::clap::hlogo:

Edit by puck: Turned into gamethread

[Edited on 2004-3-16 by puck7x]

That RDS link says that julien is changing up 3 lines... the only line that will stay together is the koivu line

the changes are like so

perrault-koivu-zednik

dags-ribs-kovalev

bulis-dowd-ryder

langdon-begin-ward

well... i can go with that, but i'd prefer teh 2nd line of kovalev ribs and ryder to stay together. But this could work out good with 3 lines that can score and a good checking line. Lets wait and see what happens.

:ghg:

I like these lines except for Ryder not seeing enough ice time on the 3rd line. This is probably speculation from the Montreal media (nothing new). They go to a practice, see the lines Jullien is working and take it from there. It isn't always the same lines come game time. As a coach you have to try lines in practice to see how they play together. You may see these lines in the game, but I expect the lines to be the same lines as in the Leafs game. No doubt he would like Dag back with ribs, but ryder is doing so well how could you take ice time from him? If anything look for Perrault to move off the 1st to 3rd, Kov to 1st, Dag back on 2nd, but not yet, I'd give it awhile.

i think cj is looking 4 3 potential scoring lines ... most teams won't have enough checking lines to cover three scoring threats... so if the opposition is checking ribs line then koivu 's scores or ryder's... i think cj is being very smart also in the games laft its time to experiment new lines

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

I like these lines except for Ryder not seeing enough ice time on the 3rd line. This is probably speculation from the Montreal media (nothing new). They go to a practice, see the lines Jullien is working and take it from there. It isn't always the same lines come game time. As a coach you have to try lines in practice to see how they play together. You may see these lines in the game, but I expect the lines to be the same lines as in the Leafs game. No doubt he would like Dag back with ribs, but ryder is doing so well how could you take ice time from him? If anything look for Perrault to move off the 1st to 3rd, Kov to 1st, Dag back on 2nd, but not yet, I'd give it awhile.

I disagree about the icetime comment. Over the past couple of games (and most of the season I am sure) the 3rd line (Either Dowd's, Begin's or Juneau's) has been leading the habs lines in icetime... If anything Ryder gets more icetime now, which can only help him, the thing that hurts him is the lower quality of the offensive ability of his linemates, but I am alright with it... Everyone needs to make sacrifices :) , for once the habs should be able to roll 3 offensive lines... sweet!

And about the lines being only "practice lines" I also disagree, sounds like wishful thinking on your part :) ... The media is usually good with lines, they would not report the lines unless CJ used them throughout the entire practice imo. CJ makes it very obvious who he plans on which lines, no secrets.

The point is, we don't need two defence-only lines. These give us two solid scoring lines on top, a two-way line on the 3rd, and a defensive line with some sandpaper.

I don't like Ryder's reduced ice-time because he deserves better, but this will help his future development (at the cost of a Calder Trophy). Playing with Bulis, who's a speedy defensive winger, and Dowd, whom Ryder could try to emulate, would only help this kid's two-way game. He's already learned a lot of offensive skills from Koivu, so I'm not so worried about that. And I'm pretty sure Ryder will continue on the first powerplay unit.

The bottom line is - flexibility. Teams will use their top defensive line against the first line. Then they'll use their 2nd line on our 2nd line. So that leaves their 1st line to our 4th line (good matchup), and our 3rd line (which has scoring potential) to their 4th line (which if it's anything like Toronto's, we should be getting a goal a game from these guys :P)

This is the time to experiment a bit. Let's hope it works.

THE COLORADO AVALANCHE!!!

Well, here they comes!! THE BIG TEAM!!

wait a minute....... forsberg won't be there...

Tanguay won't be there....

They have an inexperienced coach....

okay Sakic - Kariya have been very Hot lately....

Their weakness... They think they are too strong.

And between the pipes... Salo - his carreer has dropped when he ( dropped) the puck againts Belarus....

Aebisher - Ok has doing well but not as Garon or Theodore did.

Their main problem, they are not seem Hungry, They know that they can win but to win a hockey game, you have to be HUNGRY.

If Montreal play as they did against Toronto, they will probably win against the AVS.

It's HOCKEY FEVER in MONTREAL right now!!!

:devil:

What the hell??? Changing our lines at this point in the season??

Theres no way, dagenais should take Ryder's spot on the 2nd, and i cant see Julien moving the teams 2nd scorer to the third line in defensive role, it doesn't make since. I wouldn't want Dagenais in my Playoff lineup either..

Go with this:

Perreault-Koivu-Zednik

Kovalev-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Dowd-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Dackell

When Perreault cools off put bulis on the top line..

You guys need to be more open minded.

Whats the problem? Its late in the season, we have a playoff spot secured. CJ is allowed to experiment... And this experiment is to see if the team can roll 3 offensive lines, its something he's tried before without success, and he's going to try it again...

This move can only help Ryder, not hurt him. He gets to develop his defensive game with players like Dowd and Bulis, while increasing his playing minutes (since our 3rd line usually leads our lines in icetime) ... And Ryder will also get 1st unit PP time. Ryder will probably lead the forwards in icetime in his new role. Think about the team first, its not only about one player.

Hmm, I'm confused by people complaining about Ryder's "demotion" of supposed decrease in ice time. if anything it will go up. I think a line of Begin-Dowd-Ryder is a tremendous energy line that gives the Habs 3 pretty good lines. Not only that, but Ryder will still play the PP, obviously, which is where nearly half of his production has come. Ryder also has the skills available where he can play on any line the Habs want him too. In no way do I think this is a permanent decision by Julien.

I'm also still confused by the Dagenais haters. Simply put, the guy can shoot. That's what he's there for, nobody pretends he's anything other than that. Had he played 82 games, he would very well be near a 30 goal scorer, given his production. He's +13, so he's not costing the team any goals, either. If the Habs traded Dags and he went on to get 30 goals somewhere next year, everyone would complain that we it was John Leclair, all over again. For a guy I expected to be planted in the AHL all year, he's been one helluva surprise for me. That said, he's a decent 2nd lin player (not great), that can't be used anywhere else.

And hopefully Kovalev will start to get that wrister on net and he can start potting some goals!

Im not complaining about the demotion of Ryder..

I just liked the lines used against the Leafs, especially the third line...Begin-Dowd-Ward did a very good job at shutting down the Big Sundin line...

And how can you like Dagenais, tell me another good aspect of his game besides his shot....He has nothing, and i wouldn't be comfortable with him on our 2nd line going into to the playoffs..

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

And how can you like Dagenais, tell me another good aspect of his game besides his shot....He has nothing, and i wouldn't be comfortable with him on our 2nd line going into to the playoffs..

Well, I said that's all Dagenais brings to the table is his shot. And that doesn't bother me. How can you complain about a guy that's +13, has 15 goals in 44 games, and is making peanuts? The guy does his job, and still people blast the guy. Why? Because he's big and doesn't hit? Big deal. He's got one weapon, his shot, and he uses it effectively.

I said it before, I'm NOT a Dagenais lover, I'm not some freak that fantasizes about this guy. But it seems in vogue to talk shit about the guy for some reason.

I'm not sure what I think about this.

I am not in any way a Dagenais fan. I don't care if he makes $50 a season or 5 million. The habs really have no where else to put him. He does not fit on a two way third line. He can't play the checking line. He has not even close to enough work ethic or skill to play on the first line. That leaves the second line.

He does have a good shot and I believe a very misleading plus 13. The fact is he does score goals.

Ryder will fit in with the third line. Some hard workers there all with the ability to put points on the board.

I am a little dissapointed to break up the begin, Dowd, Ward line. They had some real gelling going on.

I'm trying to be open minded about this. It is an experiment after all.

I'm by no means a Dagenais fan, but it is interesting to note that he hasn't been a minus in the +/- category for any of his last 26 games.

In any case...he's out tonite and the top 2 lines are intact. Bulis and Sundstrom will play the 3rd line...

[Edited on 2004/3/16 by TruthMonger]

At any rate, the Habs better win now, as I've got a couple of Avs fans coming to the house to watch the game. I think we're making some "liquid bets" too. Last year's game was pretty entertaining, the 7-6 OT loss. I kept getting booed, everytime the Habs scored, I'd jump around like a madman with my huge ass Canadiens banner. The last laugh was on me, though, as I had to wear the flag around while we bar hopped downtown after the game.

Wooo that was a close one. almost gave Colorado 4 minutes of powerplay instead we got lucky with a too many men and then to top it off the Ref pulls a knee-to-knee to selanne who was in the clear. Scores tied 2-2 habs have to step it up in the 3rd and Kovalev has to also. I can't wait until he gets going he sadly looks exaclty the same as he did on the Rags.