Game Thread | Montreal vs. Pittsburgh | 03/16/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bulldogs... in sudden death overtime against the crunch...

GO :hlogo: GO!

bulldogs win in overtime...

guess who scores???

MATT D'AGOSTINI... four goals tonight!

You cannot win with that type of goaltending.

Abby was brutal tonight.

The first Crosby goal was a nice move but it was a wrist shot he allowed under his arm.

The second goal, Nothing needs to be said, and the 4th one he ONCE AGAIN has no idea

where the puck is. That will not get us even close to the playoffs.

That was a winnable game, and they showed no quit in coming back and were in it with 10 to go.

Unless he somehow gets hot.....I cannot see him leading us to the playoffs :angry:

Well a few notes.

1. Aebischer was not the reason they lost tonight he really only allowed one bad goal the second.

2. Aebischer will not be in europe next year he will be in the NHL and win a fair amount of games.

3. Higgins terrible pass really ended the game, I love the guy but get it deep first before making that pass at the ble line.

4. Kostitsyn was amazing again tonight he is so physical, smart and has so much talent .

5. I really hope Carbonneau becomes a better coach next year. The Habs score a goal and he always puts out the fourth line. Also Lapierre had more ice then Plex Kosty Lats and almost as much as Koivu. All that in a game where the Habs had 6 power plays to the Pens 1.

6. Markov was amazing tonight.

can he play in net? :P

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. probablynot :wacko::blink::wacko:

Well a few notes.

1. Aebischer was not the reason they lost tonight he really only allowed one bad goal the second.

2. Aebischer will not be in europe next year he will be in the NHL and win a fair amount of games.

3. Higgins terrible pass really ended the game, I love the guy but get it deep first before making that pass at the ble line.

4. Kostitsyn was amazing again tonight he is so physical, smart and has so much talent .

5. I really hope Carbonneau becomes a better coach next year. The Habs score a goal and he always puts out the fourth line. Also Lapierre had more ice then Plex Kosty Lats and almost as much as Koivu. All that in a game where the Habs had 6 power plays to the Pens 1.

You count 1, I count 3. This guy is never in position, his rebound control is awful and he is on his knees for 75% of the game. If a wrist shot from 25 feet away slipping under your arm is not his fault and should not be saved then I do not know what your expectations of the goalie is. If Patrick Roy, Ken Dryden, Jose Theodore made only the saves they were supposed to we would be missing 3 Cups and a couple of playoff appearances.

I would settle for just making the routine saves...Can somebody in this organization do this???

He is a below average goalie, and has proved it this season.

He lets in back breaking goals. Is it totally his fault tonight? No, other mistakes were made but you WILL NOT win with goaltending like that. They DOMINATED the Leafs for 40+ minutes and barely held on because he cannot stop a beachball.

He will be in the NHL because GMs love a reclimation project, but he is not a starting calibre goalie in the NHL, something the people of Colorado and now Montreal are well aware!

Edited by Wamsley01

so far as i'm concerned, montreal played well, on the whole, tonight...

with thik kind of effort every night till the end of the year we stand a SUPER possibility of being in the '2nd season'

I must get a different feed then the rest of you. 1 solid period again. I am certainly not going to defend Aebi but the game wasn't lost by him. While it is cool to jump on Aebi for alot of you. I'll give you a stat. The top 3 scorers are MINUS 70. There aren't more then 5 teams who are that bad combined.

Have you seen the D zone end coverage and turnovers? Holy cow these guys are so bad in there own end. Another night of 1 Souray Bomb gets him off the hook for another horrible effort. No way sign that guy.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this team is close or has a chance to make it. Top PP, no question, short handed goals again, outdtanding. Evry other category, bottom of the list. You can't win consistantly that way.

I thought Kosty was good most of the night. No one else stood out.

Another game closer to a high pick.

You count 1, I count 3. This guy is never in position, his rebound control is awful and he is on his knees for 75% of the game. If a wrist shot from 25 feet away slipping under your arm is not his fault and should not be saved then I do not know what your expectations of the goalie is. If Patrick Roy, Ken Dryden, Jose Theodore made only the saves they were supposed to we would be missing 3 Cups and a couple of playoff appearances.

I would settle for just making the routine saves...Can somebody in this organization do this???

He is a below average goalie, and has proved it this season.

He lets in back breaking goals. Is it totally his fault tonight? No, other mistakes were made but you WILL NOT win with goaltending like that. They DOMINATED the Leafs for 40+ minutes and barely held on because he cannot stop a beachball.

He will be in the NHL because GMs love a reclimation project, but he is not a starting calibre goalie in the NHL, something the people of Colorado and now Montreal are well aware!

Gotta agree with you there... he makes each save look like an adventure (easy or hard). The honest truth is the he doesn't inspire confidence in his teammates to think he will make the save. :o

I must get a different feed then the rest of you. 1 solid period again. I am certainly not going to defend Aebi but the game wasn't lost by him. While it is cool to jump on Aebi for alot of you. I'll give you a stat. The top 3 scorers are MINUS 70. There aren't more then 5 teams who are that bad combined.

Have you seen the D zone end coverage and turnovers? Holy cow these guys are so bad in there own end. Another night of 1 Souray Bomb gets him off the hook for another horrible effort. No way sign that guy.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this team is close or has a chance to make it. Top PP, no question, short handed goals again, outdtanding. Evry other category, bottom of the list. You can't win consistantly that way.

While I agree the Minus 70 looks really bad, the status is a direct result of the shoddy goaltending they are getting this year.

Seeing as Montreal made the playoffs in 2002/2004 on the back of Jose Theodore and made the playoffs last season with Huet dropping 7 shutouts in the last 25 games last season it is pretty apparent that with goaltending like Abby is providing we would not have enjoyed a playoff game since 1998.

So call it scapegoating Abby, but I look at the fact that with 10 minutes to go it was a 4-3 game and with some solid...not spectacular goaltending they might have earned a point.

Goaltending is to hockey what starting pitching is to baseball. If you do not have it, you have ZERO chance!

We as habs fans should know this more than any franchise in the NHL! Great goaltending hides a tonne of inefficiencies, you think that Vancouver plays shut down defence? Try watching a Canucks game, they make a ton of mistakes in their own zone that do not end up in the back of their net.

When was the last time the Habs won a game because of the goaltending? Honestly...when was the last time? I can't remember it has been so long.

If Abby steals 2 games in the last 2 months the Habs are sitting in 7th place. If he does not shit the bed only 2 times in the last 2 months the Habs are in 7th. Missing the playoffs will be a fine line and 2-3 hot games from a goalie may be the difference between the Leafs/Canes/Isles/Bruins/Rangers getting in.

Look at the Islanders without Dipietro...10 goals in 2 games.

I expect goaltending that keeps you in the game, not goaltending that breaks your back.

Well a few notes.

1,2 Abby's value is considerably lower than it has been at any other point in his NHL career. Maybe he'll rebound, sure, but he simply seems to be unable to stay in postition. That's a pretty big problem.

3. I don't know that Higs pass was the single decider, but no question it was a key turning point. And a piece of shit pass.

4. Couldn't agree more.

5. Strongly agree Carbo has to be better next year, and should be. But Lapierre played pretty well and was being matched against Crosby, who had a nightmare of a game. He got points, but he took a beating and was off his game half the time. Actually I've been worried all year about the fact we only have former forwards, and all in the same mould, as coaches. I think Jarvis is a good coach, don't get me wrong, but our D seem to have no coach who understands them. We sure know how to tell them to play the wing, but not to play D. This is a problem.

6. Markov was amazing, except for those shifts where he was god-awful. Seriously, he showed both sides of the coin tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Markov. He's one of the most underrated D in the league outside Montreal (thank God for us since we must sign him) and few people realize how young he is, especially in terms of years in the NHL, but some shifts he just dies out there, piling one mistake on another. Hell, I'm not knocking him, just being realistic. If he didn't have a slightly erratic element to his game he'd be a future Norris candidate. His passing is simply awesome and completely outclasses the rest of the team. He's so good he makes players look like they're asleep sometimes because the puck's a foot past them before they realize he actually sent them the puck. If we can keep guys like Higs and Tender and Kosty together with Markov for the next five years, they won't be asleep, they'll be anticipating it. And scoring.

Back to point one and two. Abby is the trying his best and Pittsburgh is scoring like this against everyone, but the fact is goaltending is the real disaster this year. Abby let in five tonight, and we outplayed them for much of the game. Nuf said.

Ok, this is ridiculous.

Crosby's goal wasnt amazing tonight. It was lucky, but more like pathetic. Eithe way, it never should have happened.

When players like Crosby brings the puck over center ice, they shouldnt be hitting the blue line without being physically checked in some way. There needs to be a price paid for crossing the blue line. You dont want them getting any silly ideas like scoring on you. :D

In situations with players like Crosby when there are 4 Habs standing there, here's a wild idea: Hit them!!!!!!!!!! :o

There's just way to many hight light reel goals (Speza, Crosby, etc) making the Habs look useless, which are all basically the same thing. 1 guy with the puck dangles through 4 Habs players and scores as they look on in aww. The Habs seem to be soft, because they need to hit these players to break up the play. There's no excuses for this, and it needs to stop.

Its completley pathetic that 1 guy can score when there's 4 Habs standing right there. Wtf doesnt 1 of them hit the damn guy? Seriously, how bloody hard? 1 of the 4 should be creaming the guy, and 1 of the other 3 should be able to come up with the now loose puck. In theory anyway, one would think that'd be possible. :P

The Habs have pretty good Defense, and are generally in the correct position for the situation, but they often seem to fail to have the correct placement. i.e. facing the wrong way, or do the wrong thing for the situation. It's frustrating to see them in the right spot but not doing the right thing. ex Burgeron goal in NYI game. All 4 of the Habs were in the right spots, only problem was that all 4 of them were staring at Ryan Smyth who was behind the net. No clue why, he isnt that pretty. :lol: Thats how Burgeron was able to sneak in between the 4 Habs that were standing right there and score. All of the Habs were completely oblivious to anything other than Smyth. I bet that Dunham probably could have skated down and done the same thing. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should be philosophical about our cruddy netminding this season. Montreal has an almost unbelievable history of coming up with great goalies from nowhere just in time for spectacular Cup runs and stretch drives: from Dryden in 71 to Steve Penny in 84(?) to Roy in 86, Theodore in 02, Huet in 06...no other franchise comes even close to this track record. So one year pissed away partly due to bad goaltending, hey, we owe the goalie gods one.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

With Huet in net we would had won that game, he wouldnt had let goal 2 and 4 and most likely he woul had stopepd goal 1 as well.

Missed the game tonight, but the posts seem pretty heavy in favor of the fact that Abby was not at all what we needed him to be.

Now we are talking about going into arguably the most important game of the year with (gulp)...Michael Leighton!!!

The end must be near. This guy got shelled by the leafs twice in a row last month, only to get waived as a result. I'm sure his confidence would be SKY HIGH going into tomorrow.

So what the hell do we do? ..and why the hell did we send down Halak? I would DEFINITELY feel most comfortable wit him in nets tomorrow!

The end must be near. This guy got shelled by the leafs twice in a row last month, only to get waived as a result.

I don't think that losing twice to Toronto was the reason for Leighton to be put on waivers.

I don't think that losing twice to Toronto was the reason for Leighton to be put on waivers.

Well, if not it should have been....and should that make him or us any more confident if he were to go tonight?

oh man just finished watching the game, HORRIBLE!!

The way they start the 1st and the 3rd period, what are they thinking. No intention to play at all, and if you see them fly in the 2nd. Why?? Why??

If you see how good they play in the 2nd, just imagine if they do that all the time, then you win these games. Big Mental isue here!!

As a Aebi fan i must say, did he play horrible again, he was just one of the worst players on again, he's just flopping around catching and blocking air. This is just the worst i've seen from him, we wont reach the playoffs with him. We need a change..

I really enjoyed Andrei Kostitsyn fly, guy was terrific again, he really deserves more icetime. Gui was nowhere again, lost ALL battles. Koivu started Brutal again, but he battled back and was just unlucky!! Stick save Orpik,one on the Post etc!!

I've seen a very good Montreal team in the second, our isue is just the Mentality. You can go into the playoffs with this team, but with this group you wont win mentaliy anything!!